Guns on trails in others' hand.

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none

What is your experience with guns on trails in the hands of others?

I have never seen a gun on a trail.
7%
I have seen a holstered gun on a trail and didn't care.
61%
I have seen a holstered gun on a trail and felt threatened.
3%
I have seen unholstered weapons on a trail and was not bothered.
15%
I have seen unholstered weapons on a trail that were not aimed at me, but felt threatened.
No votes
I have seen weapons on a trail that were aimed at me on accident.
1%
I have seen weapons on a trail that were aimed at me on purpose.
4%
I have been shot at while hiking.
10%
I have been shot while hiking.
No votes
I have been hiking and someone in my group was fatally shot.
No votes

Total votes: 103

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Guns on trails in others' hand.

Post by PaleoRob » Apr 28 2011 3:57 pm

So, on the infamous militia thread, there was the following comment:
Snick33 wrote:Small Genitals, Big Egos
It seems like some people don't have or don't see a need for weapons on the trail. That's fine. Some people carry all the time, even in their own home. That's fine too. I am just wondering about blanket statements like this, or similar ones from the pro-carry side that seem to imply that the unarmed are fools. Perhaps there is a motivation behind the reason to carry or not carry. I thought I'd post a poll because it seems like there are a lot of opinions on the matter.

I'm hoping for some explanations to the selections, but that is optional. When I say "hiking", I mean recreational hiking, not working as a backcountry FS LE, NPS LE, BP officer, sheriff, military, etc. I mean going out into the forest or the desert to enjoy a hike. This is also for personal experiences, not friend-of-a-friend type deals. You can chose as many as you want, since you may have been in several different situations. You can change your vote, because maybe tomorrow something will change.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Guns on trails in others' hand.

Post by chumley » Jan 30 2014 9:52 pm

joe bartels wrote:I recall an incident...
I too, have read at least two--if not three--trip logs on HAZ where people felt they were in harms way with shooting nearby. (And I probably don't read half as many triplogs as you do).

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I do sometimes wonder what one person thinks is a close shot versus what somebody else thinks is no big deal. :-k
Ja vi elsker dette landet

friendofThundergod
ˈpōət kokopelli
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 31 2014 8:17 am

we were camped in tree-line at Reavis and some horsemen apparently thought they had ranch to themselves, they were target practicing at south end, but we were in defilade behind a knoll, so no huge worries, but still a little unnerving, only because we knew they didn't know we were there...however, I was not about to step out in field and announce our presence either..at least they had the decency to quit around 8 PM...lol..might have been a bad night to be camped along fire line trail though... :?

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Jan 31 2014 9:05 am

@friendofThundergod
I've been known to fire a shot back just to announce my presence to somebody who doesn't know I'm there. It usually reminds them to make sure they have a solid backstop. :)

In other news, I kidnapped Flat Denny out in the wilderness recently. One of these days there will be a HAZ event in his honor... :gun:
;)

friendofThundergod
ˈpōət kokopelli

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 31 2014 9:09 am

@joe bartels
I am pretty much on the fence on this one, I see both sides, but even as someone who supports one's right to defend themselves and the second amendment, I still don't see how the killing classified as proportional force...for example, someone shoots at you, you return fire..that is a proportional response, someone threatens you..you shoot them, not so proportional..

This is an obvious statement, but with guns you are generally only afforded one mistake and it is usually final. I don't want anyone to take this wrong way, but the problem with most people who carry guns is they have only seen what that gun does to a paper target, and some even have perverted fantasies of killing some intruder or defending their family in some dire situation...me I have a good idea what guns do to people, and I have been taught to never point a firearm at something that I don't intend to destroy, I don't want to make assumptions, but I feel that hiker's best weapon in that situation may have been his wits, yet, he resorted to the ultimate escalation a firearm...and the results were final...this hiker to some extent probably represented so many gun owners, hey I went to a class, and I shoot twice a week, I am an expert I am in control, I fully understand the ramifications of this piece of metal I carry...when in reality he was not any of the aforementioned...

Its a little sad, but one of the main reasons I don't carry outside of solo hiking, is the fact that I don't even want that firearm at my disposal if I am in a situation that becomes escalated, once that weapon is pulled, it is nearly impossible for a situation to become deescalated and tragedy will almost always follow..I would rather have to resort to every last option before considering using a firearm, so I just keep it at home, where most guns belong :)

friendofThundergod
ˈpōət kokopelli

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 31 2014 9:11 am

@chumley
In the Army announcing your presence by shooting is called "recon by fire" highly against the rules, but effective at times :)

hey what was final verdict in Pine Canyon Tragedy? When I google the HAZ forum topic shows up, but it only goes to the point where they decided to charge him on murder 2 charges...

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Jan 31 2014 9:15 am

friendofThundergod wrote:hey what was final verdict in Pine Canyon Tragedy? When I google the HAZ forum topic shows up, but it only goes to the point where they decided to charge him on murder 2 charges...
The retired teacher was convicted of second-degree murder and spent more than three years in prison and about $700,000 in legal fees before the Arizona Court of Appeals reversed his conviction.

He had his freedom, but could not pay the monstrous legal bills. He took out a second mortgage on his home, as did his relatives, including his retired father.

On Sept. 8, 2012, Harold Fish died, leaving his wife and children in deep debt.

friendofThundergod
ˈpōət kokopelli

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 31 2014 9:20 am

@chumley
wow a tragedy indeed...no winners in this one, was there?

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jan 31 2014 9:23 am

friendofThundergod wrote:wow a tragedy indeed...no winners in this one, was there?
Of course there were winners. The scavengers called LAWYERS! :scared: !
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 31 2014 7:54 pm

Did he commit suicide?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Feb 01 2014 10:04 am

I can't remember, but I think it was cancer.
I did this thread and it is apro to this thread.
viewtopic.php?t=7208&p=84801
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Feb 02 2014 9:47 pm

Here is another handgun for those that carry in the backcountry:
Smith & Wesson unveils monster .460 caliber gun: The ‘Backpack Cannon’
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... gun-backp/
:gun:
“There is still a place for weapons like this, especially if you like camping where the critters are big enough to eat you,” Smith & Wesson said. :scared:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Feb 03 2014 12:34 pm

if I was ever going to carry again while hiking or backpacking, I'd probably get on the waiting list for one of those little Springfield xdm .45's.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”