Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
gringoantonio
G pelli
City, State: Boise, ID

Favorite Multi Tool?

Post by gringoantonio » Jul 23 2012 2:32 pm

What is your favorite multi tool to take with you on backpacking trips?

I have an old Leatherman Wave that has served me well for ages. But I've never used half the tools on it (while backpacking) and am looking for something more pared down and significantly lighter...

Thanks!

Sun_Ray
Javakaipelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Favorite Multi Tool?

Post by Sun_Ray » Jul 23 2012 2:37 pm

Great topic as I've been on the look out for a lighter weight tool. I have a Leatherman Juice that weights 4.3 oz.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jul 23 2012 2:56 pm

Mostly I want pliers and scissors. I like my Leatherman Juice S2, especially on dayhikes. 4.4oz.
The only drawback is that it doesn't have a corkscrew so I have to drink wine with twistoff caps or from a box. Or forget the wine and go to Herradura Tequila.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Jul 23 2012 7:02 pm

Skeletool.
Where is the "dislike" button?

Grasshopper
Detailapelli

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 23 2012 8:07 pm

The Leatherman New Wave (4" closed length at 8.5oz with 3 high quality S.Stl Blades, multi-use pliers, strong scissors)
Since March'12 I now carry this one as a standard emergency "10 essential" item in my day pack (all Kurt's fault back in Feb'12 :) ). Yes, it is heavy, more expensive, and there are some accessory options that I'm sure I will never need in the wilderness, but a good knife/multi-tool is considered one of the emergency hiking essentials, and I just try not to take anything for granted any longer. Some of the multi-tool options that I really liked about this Leatherman model are the longer, locking 3 blades, strong pliers, and more heavy duty scissors and one blade of which is a high quality SAW blade which I thought could be very important in emergency (overnight-s) situation with possible bad weather conditions to consider. For me it is a long term investment I hope I never need to use in an emergency, but for me the peace of mind is worth it.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Jul 23 2012 11:05 pm

Small swiss army knife (hiker? climber? forget which model) - with a scissors, tweezers, small knife blade, nailfile. About all I've ever needed for hiking/backpacking AZ, used in the order listed. I used to carry a multi tool with pliers and a screwdriver when I did mtn biking.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Thoreau
Gadget Kokopelli

Post by Thoreau » Jul 24 2012 10:11 am

I've gone between quite a few over the years, and until recently snapping in half at the hinge, the Skeletool CX was my favorite for backpacking.

Since I kinda stopped worrying about weight for certain items (I mean, I do carry a rather heavy gun and the ammo sure isn't made of titanium...) I've gone to a combination approach.

For a general multitool I'll either have the new Wave model with me, or the Leatherman MUT. I actually tend to lean towards the MUT more often because of the larger/beefier saw, and the main knife blade is pretty stout too. It also clips to my gear easily and the pliers are bomb proof. It's nice that it'll do repairs on my AR-15 too in case I'm trying to out-hike some zombies =)

Even with a multitool though, I still now carry a standalone folder/knife. Nothing beats a good blade and I used to carry a nice Benchmade Griptilian tanto design until I left it at a friggin campsite last month. Now I alternate between a Benchmade Presidio Ultra and a Zero Tolerance 0350.

hikerdw
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa,AZ

Post by hikerdw » Jul 24 2012 12:31 pm

A Victorinox Soldier Knife and a small Leatherman Style CS for the scissors and tweezers, which clips inside my pack.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 24 2012 6:19 pm

My hands.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

writelots
Wendipelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Jul 25 2012 9:20 am

I carry a little juice, and I can count on one hand the number of times that I've used it at all. I also carry a real knife - because the blade on the juice is pathetic. I've been looking at the Freestyle, but with the infrequency of use I'm hesitant to invest the funds.
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Jul 25 2012 9:38 am

Thoreau wrote: I used to carry a nice Benchmade Griptilian tanto design until I left it at a friggin campsite
I hate when that happens!! Now everything I carry has a clip, a pouch or a holster... As far as a multi-tool, I carried a Gerber... until I lost it.

Thoreau
Gadget Kokopelli

Post by Thoreau » Jul 25 2012 9:43 am

Oh it had a nice clip on it. I was just a moron =( Worst thing is I know EXACTLY where it is out there, but it's hard to justify a road trip in an FJ Cruiser @ 15mpg (on a good day) to the rim from Phoenix for a $80 knife.

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Jul 25 2012 11:10 am

Thoreau wrote:Oh it had a nice clip on it. I was just a moron =( Worst thing is I know EXACTLY where it is out there, but it's hard to justify a road trip in an FJ Cruiser @ 15mpg (on a good day) to the rim from Phoenix for a $80 knife.
Hmmm let me see....my FJ Cruiser + gas @ $45 for a tank + fatty snacks @ $8 = $53 +or- for an $80 knife.
Ok I'll bite....Where is it?... :D

On a side note I found this on Perry Mesa years ago. The leather sheath was rotted but I cleaned and polished it and it's like new.
http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?eve ... uctID=3051
Last edited by Alston_Neal on Jul 25 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Jul 25 2012 11:31 am

@Alston Neal
I notice you didn't factor in labor charges ... with that as a "value-add", you'll still be under $60.00 for the day! :sl:

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Jul 25 2012 11:45 am

Har har har being a retail biz owner I'll tell ya, $7 a day is serious dinero... ;)
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Jul 25 2012 3:46 pm

I carry just a cheap Home Depot multitool. But I always have a Sog Flash II on me for a good knife. Sometimes I will carry a Gerber Big Rock when I want a fixed blade.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jul 25 2012 4:52 pm

kevinweitzel75 wrote:. . .But I always have a Sog Flash II on me for a good knife. Sometimes I will carry a Gerber Big Rock when I want a fixed blade.
That Flash II looks like a really nIce knife. I don't look to my multi-tool for the knife. I always carry a SOG Twitch II - a 2.7" blade at 2.6oz. The size and satin finish fit in even in elegant company. I really like that Flash II for a hiking knife - 3" blade at 3.1oz. I added it to my REI wish list for next years dividend. But I will probably pick one up before that.

Gibbs' Rule #9: Never go anywhere without a knife.

For a fixed blade, I go with either a full Ka-Bar or a short Ka-Bar. I have a SOG Seal Pup but I like the pommel on the Ka-Bars, much better for pounding (although I really can't imagine pounding anything with it). And there is just something about the blood groove on the Ka-Bar - makes it super wicked. : rambo :
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 25 2012 5:47 pm

okay I had to google that since I know nothing
appears to be engineered like an "I" beam for weight/strength rather than a channel for blood flow or suction reduction
engineering is super wicked cool :y:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Jul 25 2012 6:01 pm

In training, I usually throw in my 18Volt Dewalt driver with keyless chuck... with extra battery and charger, 30 bit assorted selection... all in hard case. That and an Eight pound mall pretty well covers most situations I run into on the trail.
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jul 25 2012 7:24 pm

joe bartels wrote:. . .appears to be engineered like an "I" beam for weight/strength rather than a channel for blood flow or suction reduction
Don't go all Snopes.com mythbuster on me Joe. :sl: We need our rugged mountain persona myths :o "Get your groove on" takes on a whole different meaning
joe bartels wrote:engineering is super wicked cool :y:
It's a classic. Battle tested.

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”