Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Knife

Post by Nighthiker » Apr 29 2003 7:27 am

I noted a lot more folks are packing knifes out on the trails. While mtn. biking from Dead Horse State Park two weeks ago I even noted a person had a large knife strapped to their lower leg. This past weekend I noted some folks were packing large knifes, several K-bars, throwing axe, machetes (boy scouts). I also came across one person with a large water bottle and a bigger knife more like a mini sword.

mttgilbert
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Apr 29 2003 9:17 am

I always carry a small folding knife for trail tasks like opening a bag of trail mix, trimming moleskin or other small tasks, but I have found that most of the time a large knife is only extra weight. Its almost impossible to perform any kind of delicate work with a large knife. The tip is too large and the angle at which the blade is ground makes it innefective for making accurate cuts (this, of course can be overcome by someone who really knows how to sharpen and use a larger blade)

Overall I'd say that knives are becomeing fashionable, but I'd bet half the people who carry k-bars or machetes wouldn't know what to do with them when it came down to it. I say its better to have them carrying knives rather than guns though, at least a knife won't accidentally go off.

azhiker96
No Trace Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Apr 29 2003 11:57 am

Actually, a knife can accidentally "go off". I used to carry a black automatic knife but the activation button was not recessed. It opened inside my pocket once which made it fun to extract. Now I have a model which has a recessed activation button. BTW, an automatic knife is commonly known as a switchblade. They are legal in Arizona and do have an advantage when you only have one hand free.

AK
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by AK » Apr 29 2003 12:42 pm

Guns don't just accidently go off unless they are in the hands of stupid, inexperienced people. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
Aaron

"Can't think of a good signature quote" - Me

mttgilbert
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by mttgilbert » Apr 29 2003 2:23 pm

AK wrote:Guns don't just accidently go off unless they are in the hands of stupid, inexperienced people. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
100% agreed. I would never blame the gun for killing someone, only the person responsible for it. The problem is some people who are stupid and/or inexperienced with guns STILL hike with them. I don't fear guns, I fear idiots.

As for automatic knives, I never cared for them myself, for specifically the reason azhiker mentioned. I prefer to find knives with a little knob or grip on the back of the blade that facilitates one-handed openings.
Last edited by mttgilbert on Apr 29 2003 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AK
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by AK » Apr 29 2003 2:50 pm

ya matt i've met my share of idiots with guns too. these people have no buisiness carrying firearms. case in point, read noelg90's recent summary of browns peak. seems that somone had the bright idea to shoot up the logbook at the top! sorry if i came off a little strong on the subject, but the inexperienced make the experienced like myself look bad.

ak
Aaron

"Can't think of a good signature quote" - Me

montezumawell
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Montezumawell, AZ

Interesting Point

Post by montezumawell » Apr 29 2003 5:27 pm

Our Fellow Forum Friend Nighthiker is an astute observer of many, many things, both informally and professionally. We think he has hit upon an interesting evolving trend. We have noticed an "upsurge" in knives recently but didn't give it too much thought until Nighthiker made his post.
Then a lot of various "puzzle pieces" began to fall like dominos. Suffice to say an explanation of all of our thought right now would be too long for this post. However, we feel certain that the "large knife/cutting instrument" fad/phenomena is here to stay and GROWING rapidly.

A few days ago, a friend and I were strolling around the Bell Rock-Courthouse Butte Loop, probably the MOST mundane Sedona-area trail. Casual? Yep. Strenuous? Nope. Dangerous? Nah...unruly dogs are the worst it gets on that one. So, we come around a bend in the trail and here is this guy carrying a BIG HONKING BOWIE knife on his belt. We're talking a SERIOUS knife! Who's he gonna take out? Little Ol' Ladies from the Village of Oak Creek? And their poodles? Geeze...talk about extreme. Get real!

Somehow, we have stumbled across the paths of various other knife carriers recently but that incident really got me thinking. Also, we have friends who visit for 2 months each year from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. They told us this year that knife killings, slashings and stabbings have gone from "nowhere" last year in the police log to a "daily occurance." Our friend's words were, "Knives are now the weapon of choice in Calgary." And there's more. This post is already too long. Adios.

j

PS added later--Wonder what sector of the Net is feeding this new frenzy? Can't be coincidence.
PPS added even later--Remember that legendary scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark?" When Harrison Ford was fighting this Arab wielding a HUGE sword. The guy was getting ready to decapitate Ol' Harrison and Ol' Harrison says, "Screw this," and whip out this ol' hogleg pistol and blows the knife-wielder away. Maybe there's a moral in that movie scene! High caliber wins!

azhiker96
No Trace Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Apr 30 2003 12:30 pm

The increase in knives in Canada may be related to their current efforts to disarm the population. I don't know why there'd be an increase here. I don't worry about the instrument though, I worry about the person who's carrying it. I am thankful for the folks who carry huge knives, machetes, etc openly because to me that's a caution sign. I watch 'em.

Daryl
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl » Apr 30 2003 2:33 pm

Has there been a movie or TV show recently that had a big knife carrying hero or bad guy? When Rambo first came out it was cool to have one of those big knives for awhile.

I love that scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”

Daryl
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl » Apr 30 2003 3:52 pm

“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”

montezumawell
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Montezumawell, AZ

GAWD--Great LINK!

Post by montezumawell » Apr 30 2003 8:06 pm

Hey, that was the most awesome link! TOTALLY Cool! It's just SOOOO Chino Valley. Sometimes when you live in Rimrock or Camp Verde, you need some other place to "pick on," so to speak, and Chino Valley never disappoints. Whenever we think we have the world's dregs washing ashore on our community's steps, we can always take comfort in knowing that Chino Valley is outdoing us in almost every measurable such category. And NOW THIS!

AWESOME!

We will be telling and retelling this one for a LOOOONG time to come.

Long live Chino Valley and its knife-challenged population!
(VIVA LOS CUCHILLOS DEL VALLE CHINO!)

j

jeremy77777
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by jeremy77777 » May 04 2003 8:53 pm

I guess Canada better ban knives also! :roll: Some countries :roll:
Oh Be Wise, Need I Say More?
- Jeremy

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » May 04 2003 10:03 pm

I'll never forget when jeremy sent in his photo. (keep in mind it was full sreen size) I Believe I jumped back about ten feet :lol:

Personally I feel better knowing jeremy is out there!
(actually I feel pretty darn good knowing all of the above posters are out there)

Some people really like knives, some really like guns & some really like fast cars. The later is the weapon I fear most :o ...and want :lol:

okay now for the naive question of the day... what's a K-Bar?
best we could figure out over here was crowbar, now that would be strange but I'm thinking that's not it
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

mttgilbert
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by mttgilbert » May 05 2003 10:15 am

The "K-Bar" knives are actually Kabar. Kabar was hired by the Marines after WWII to design a fighting/utility knife for the troops. Kabar's design was so well liked that the name stuck and any knives of similar design were referred to as K-bars. (I don't have any idea why it was changed from Kabar to K-bar, I assume it was a matter of people trying to spell it (incorrectly))
Basically the K-bars are any fixed blade knife of at least 5 inches, they are single edged and generally have a blood-groove, some models come with various "survival" features, like a saw built into the back of the blade, sturdy pummel design to be used as a hammer, and attachment points on the crossgaurd to turn the knife into a spear.

For pictures of common K-Bar designs check out:
http://www.selfdefensesupply.com/K-Bar% ... 20Page.htm

I own several variataions of K-Bar designed knives. They are impressive looking knives, but outside of combat, or maybe a serious survival situation, they are not much use. I would never bother carrying one of these knives, unless there was some real need (which I can't imagine) mostly I just like knives and they made a great addition to my collection. :wink:

Abe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe » May 10 2003 8:21 am

More info on the K-Bar:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/6350/kbar.htm

I am not really fond of large blade knives and while serving in the Marines; hold on to your hats :o , I carried an Air Force survival knife. A bit more compact. However; my favorite was the USMC utility knife which contained the blade, can opener, punch, and screwdriver.

These days though, while hiking I carry my Swiss Army with survival case. It has every gizmo on this thing. And while at work I have my Leatherman, which has payed for itself several times over.

As far as folks packing large blade knives, K-bars, Bowies, Arkansas Toothpicks, ect, it does not bother me.

pfredricks
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Surprise, AZ

I think that I figured it out.

Post by pfredricks » May 10 2003 3:35 pm

Much has changed over the last twenty years (and more) Men now, much like women are being evaluated more and more on physical qualities. With this increased discussion, I have noticed an unprecedented honesty about the importance of men (ahem) measuring up. Perhaps the increase in knife ownership and brandishing them is an outward overcompensation mechanism. You know the bigger the knife, the smaller the...well you know. Make your own observations about the comments above this one based on knife choices(eg. I carry a small knife, etc). Funny huh?
In all seriousness, a knife is a tool. What in the world would you possibly need a blade larger than 3-4 inches. <--------Hey YOU, I AM TALKING ABOUT THE KNIFE
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

ADGibson
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by ADGibson » Jul 14 2003 9:05 pm

Gotta love the new guy digging up old posts! :o

I prefer a good folding knife for just about all use. I do carry a Leatherman Wave as well. It's just to handy.

I currently have the CRKT M16-13LE. It's a very tough knife that is overly big. I can open them with just a flick of the wrist without using the thumb spur. I picked it up from working at a knife shop and a couple knife fighting courses at Shooter's World.

I have carried a Marine corp Machette when backpacking. I think it works better for cutting firewood when I plan to have an open fire. That doesn't happen often in AZ though.

Aaron

mttgilbert
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by mttgilbert » Jul 14 2003 9:14 pm

I agree with pete about the knife-size thing. There is no reason to carry a knife bigger than about three inches unless you plan on killing someone (in which case your better off with a fire-arm anyways, but I'll leave that for another topic). I carry two knives, a three inch folder in my pocket and a small 1 inch folder in my emergency kit. I have never encountered a situation where I was lacking for a long enough blade.

sherileeaz
Exploring Kokopelli

Re: I think that I figured it out.

Post by sherileeaz » Jul 14 2003 10:12 pm

pfredricks wrote:Much has changed over the last twenty years (and more) Men now, much like women are being evaluated more and more on physical qualities. With this increased discussion, I have noticed an unprecedented honesty about the importance of men (ahem) measuring up. Perhaps the increase in knife ownership and brandishing them is an outward overcompensation mechanism. You know the bigger the knife, the smaller the...well you know. Make your own observations about the comments above this one based on knife choices(eg. I carry a small knife, etc). Funny huh?
In all seriousness, a knife is a tool. What in the world would you possibly need a blade larger than 3-4 inches. <--------Hey YOU, I AM TALKING ABOUT THE KNIFE
*looking at pfredricks umm knife*
*getting out my handy dandy compass w/magnifier*

"That's a tool?? Need I say more? I would if there was MORE to say!!" :wink:

Sherileeaz 8)

BoyNhisDog
Footloose Adventurer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by BoyNhisDog » Jul 16 2003 4:33 pm

In the desert I have never found a use for a knife over 3.5". If you have good skills this is all you need.

I choose from one of these and rarely have to use them on a long dayhike or a backpack but when you need one it comes in very handy. -> Four Folders

The one on the left is an $11 #8 Opinel and is one of the best cutters for the money with a 3” blade. The Swiss Army knife next to it is one of the best hiking/traveling knives available. The blade is razor sharp and easy to keep that way. A bonus is the extra tools that are useful. The bigger gray knife is a Chris Reeves Sebenza. Sebenza means “work” in Zulu. It is one of the strongest folders on the market with titanium scales and a very secure lock and a 3.5” blade. Buying one will eat up major funding though. The little one is a Benchmade Pardue Gentleman’s folder with titanium scales and a 2 & ¼ “ blade. It is sharp and light and would appeal to ultra-lighters.

I always carry one, rarely have to use it but when it is needed there is nothing like it.
Glen

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”