Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Nighthiker
HAZopelli
City, State: Payson

Knife

Post by Nighthiker » Apr 29 2003 7:27 am

I noted a lot more folks are packing knifes out on the trails. While mtn. biking from Dead Horse State Park two weeks ago I even noted a person had a large knife strapped to their lower leg. This past weekend I noted some folks were packing large knifes, several K-bars, throwing axe, machetes (boy scouts). I also came across one person with a large water bottle and a bigger knife more like a mini sword.

ajcanable
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Jct., Az.

Post by ajcanable » Oct 13 2003 5:28 pm

Im using a nice tactical folder by frost cutlery. Not because its very sharp. Not even because it's very light. But because some unfortunate hiker lost it at Wolverine Pass trail head parking lot. If your out there i'd just like to say Thank You, it's a fine blade! 8)

KIXEM
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by KIXEM » Oct 13 2003 5:36 pm

In response to olesma's reply:

I carry a "Defender" survival knife, a leatherman and a folding knife. Like many said, the "bigger" one has its purpose, the leatherman has had its own and the folding knife has been practical for others. Go figure.

"I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed" but I make sure all my blades are.
KIXEM

"In perfect silence and solitude you will find wisdom"

pfredricks
Seed Gatherin' Kokopelli
City, State: Surprise, AZ

all things pointy and sharp

Post by pfredricks » Oct 13 2003 7:51 pm

Lucky you ajcanable-nice find!

Hey Kixem-Is defender a brand or a style-If it is a style, then what is it?
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

KIXEM
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Re: all things pointy and sharp

Post by KIXEM » Oct 13 2003 7:57 pm

In response to pfredricks' reply:

Heck if I know. Got it at a pawn shop. Said manufacturers suggested retail price is $256.00 they were selling it for $39.95. I offerred some young kid $9.00 and left with it. It was sharp, the blade looks strong (says defender on the blade) and the survival stuffing was still inside and in great shape. Maybe, you might know what it is. All I know is the price wasn't bad and I've been looking for something like it. If you want I can attach a picture via email.

Sorry couldn't answer your question more directly.
KIXEM

"In perfect silence and solitude you will find wisdom"

no avatar
peter1
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: AZ

Re: Knife

Post by peter1 » Dec 22 2009 5:43 am

I always carry a small hibben knife as my self defense.

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Dec 22 2009 10:32 am

good resurrection, guys.
i purchased a new knife, but have only taken it out once. i think of all the times i needed a bigger knife (0) and my little single-blade 1oz swiss army type (Buck) knife was unreliable (0)... ive basically never needed much more than a cheese slicer. but hey, for what its worth the K-Bar Becker Necker is a gem of a blade for $35 (amazon)
and Im sure i'll find a use for it when the time arises.
:D

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Dec 22 2009 10:36 am

I like the Hibbens, as well. I usually carry a single-tang Benchmade. I have a few of the Hibben throwers that I'll drag out from time-to-time because they mean something to others who recognize them... :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Dec 23 2009 9:23 am

In a pre-hiker life I showed up for a hike of sorts in tennis shoes, one of my kid's book bags, and a KBar knife on my belt. I'm sure my co-workers had a good laugh, being much more experienced than I at the time. I haven't found a need for more than te-wa's cheese slicer myself, maybe some salami slicing but that's about it, so far.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Dec 23 2009 12:33 pm

Truth be told, I would reach for my knife before I reached for a gun. There's a reverence there, to steal from The Hunted. The Tom Brown knives they had in there were awesome, albeit bulky, BTW...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Dec 23 2009 12:44 pm

I usually have a couple blades when I go backpacking - I like redundancy. My primary blade is the one on by Leatherman (now there's a tool that never disappoints!). Sometimes I have a super-mini Swiss Army knife (you know, the one with the scissors, knife, file, and that's it). And I usually have my grandpa's old "buck" knife. They all have their uses, and I have used them all accordingly...
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Teebor
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Teebor » Feb 17 2010 12:09 am

I've taken to bringing my ka-bar on hikes, either in my pack, on my pack, or on my belt. All the trails around here are completely new to me, so I don't know what I might be getting into in terms of large predators/creepy people. I also have my CRKT M16, that never leaves my side, even in the city. I have noticed that people tend to stare at big knives, but they would stare if I had purple hair too. At least the knife is funcional! :D
Regards,
Jeff

Laziness is counterrevolutionary...
Questions are decadent...
Fast hands mean less whipping.

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”