Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

1984 18' Rogue raft with frame, oars, repair kit

Post by PaleoRob » Sep 21 2014 11:09 am

Hey all,
Due to some personal changes in my life that are occurring now I need to sell my river raft. It is historic - it belonged to Ken Sleight (aka Seldom Seen Smith) and was used as part of Sleight Expeditions - it still has those original markings on the raft. Sleight's son sold the business to High Desert Adventures and the raft went with it. HDA was eventually absorbed into Arizona Raft Adventures. We purchased the raft from AzRA in 2008. It was used for most of its life on the Colorado River through Grand Canyon. Since we've owned it we've run the San Juan with it twice - all other times it has been stored indoors out of the sun. We have put one patch on it in 2009 which was still holding the last time we inflated it. It is an awesome boat and great for someone looking to pick up a raft or rafting in general for cheap. Downsides: it is not a self bailer so you will need to be active on the pump and bucket. It was originally a four chambered boat but sometime during AzRA's ownership a baffle blew. It doesn't affect its ability to remain afloat, it just has one fewer air chamber than designed.
We're including:
The raft
The frame
Four oars
A repair kit
Manual inflation pump.
We're looking at $1,000 firm.
PM, reply, or give me a phone call if you are interested. I'd be willing to meet and deliver anywhere between Black Canyon City and Tucson. I'm sad to be getting rid of it but life changes happen. :(
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: 1984 18' Rogue raft with frame, oars, repair kit

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 21 2014 11:54 am

Wow! That's quite a history! I'm not in the market for an 18-foot bucket boat, sorry! That's a lot of boat, although I like rowing 18-footers because they are pretty forgiving.

If I buy a whitewater raft it's going to have to be a cat, something I can more easily transport and move around. (No jokes, Alston...) (I'll be sure to name it "Feral.")
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Sep 24 2014 9:16 am

Sounds like it'll be an awesome deal for someone, Rob. Sorry you have to sell it...
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 24 2014 9:30 am

The people I mentioned it to said you'll have to come down on price, though, even with all that gear.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Sep 24 2014 1:51 pm

Frame is about $700 new, oar shafts are $240 new, all together, $260 for the blades new, all together - that's $1,200 just for the gear that goes on the raft, and it is gear that has only been used twice. Throw in the pump and and repair kit there's another $75-$100 all without the boat to begin with. So even if we assume that the value is reduced 25% by being (lightly) used that's still $1,000 worth of gear without the boat for the price I'm looking for.
So that's some of the math I used to get my prices. Also looking at rafts on Craigslist gave me another set of price points.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/boa/4680390149.html - smaller, less gear, $600
http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/spo/4647394651.html - newer, smaller, no gear, SB, $1250
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 24 2014 2:48 pm

Good selling points! I can see how you arrived at the price.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 24 2014 4:14 pm

I'll do my best to spread the word around.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Sep 24 2014 4:26 pm

Awesome, thanks!
-Old Spiritual

Return to “For Sale”