Umbrellas

Post by joebartels » Aug 02 2005 7:49 pm

Where do you buy an umbrella?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Shi
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by Shi » Aug 03 2005 8:39 pm

Joe, I bought a very compact, light weight umbrella at Osco. I have learned that I love having an umbrella instead of rain gear during the monsoon, it will keep me and my pack dry, and keeps me cool. Mary
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."

Ancient Indian Proverb

Trishness
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Aug 03 2005 8:47 pm

joe bartels wrote:Where do you buy an umbrella?
I haven't used an umbrella in 6 years and found my old one ( from when I lived in Florida and used it daily) in a box in the shed. It's broken and has holes in it but no big worries since I live in the land where the sun shines 325 days a year!

However I think I saw some umbrellas at Osco recently.

:)
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Aug 03 2005 8:58 pm

Thanks Mary, thanks Trish
one of those compact ones is perfect, believe I'll pick one up
Lizard mentioned a year or so ago about using an umbrella for shade. A couple time since then I regretted not jumping on the idea!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Aug 04 2005 10:57 am

In response to joe bartels' reply:

Saw some of the collapsable ones at Fry's (supermarket) yesterday.
I use, and recommend the Golite Dome umbrella...( dead link removed ) it doesn't collapse, but it is plastic... something that makes me feel secure when I'm on Kendrick in a lightning storm.
There's another brand, BirdiePal ( http://www.birdiepal.com ), who usually designs for golfers. (the "junior" is the lightest, I believe) It's slightly heavier than the GoLite Dome, has a 44" diameter (as does the Golite) , is made of non-metallic bits and pieces, and is designed so that if it should blow inside out, it's not damaged. Some reviews here > ( dead link removed )

Another (really small) one is the Rainkist "MicroMax"
($15.00) link to open & closed size here > ( dead link removed )

Or 'Sungrubbies" ( dead link removed ) ( dead link removed )

I also use mine when hiking in the sun for extended periods (Tonto, John Muir, PCT, etc.)

One thing to remember about umbrellas is that, if you hike with poles, you'll need to do without one while using the umbrella.
kurt

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Aug 04 2005 1:22 pm

thanks kurt, great info!

I googled around and saw more nays than yeas on carring an umbrella. Though I have a pretty good idea when I'd be carring one. Either to extend early morning desert hikes in the summer or to save my camera in the rain . I've put my camera through more thunderstorms than most raincoats see in AZ :sweat:

I tried testing the desert angle this morning but was turned around by swarming ants :(
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Aug 04 2005 3:54 pm

In response to joe bartels' reply:

To me, an umbrella is a boon when backpacking... I HATE getting clammy inside a raincoat and with the amount of exertion when backpacking .....ain't no "pit-zip'n", "breathable" rainwear that keeps one dry and "breathes".
I realize that you mostly day hike, so a raincoat/poncho is generally sufficient for RAIN.

If you plan to use it predominantly for SUN/HEAT however, check out the "Chrome Dome" by Golite.
When we did the JMT in '03, we just taped a part of a space blanket to the regular Dome and it worked great; but now there's THIS.
( dead link removed )

Link here >> ( dead link removed )
kurt

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Aug 04 2005 4:21 pm

thanks again, that's definitely the ticket! it's on the way, I'll try it out next week :)
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Aug 04 2005 5:07 pm

joe bartels wrote:thanks again, that's definitely the ticket! it's on the way, I'll try it out next week :)
SWEET! Please let us know your thoughts post-use....

kurt
kurt

Abe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe » Aug 05 2005 6:02 am

Never been one for an umbrella; however, be interested in reading your comments Joe. Will be backpacking next week with my sister-in-law on the rim and when I briefed her told her to water proof her gear with trash bags and bring an extra set of clothes. Monsoons you know. Seems you can never count on them as they flirt around the state.
"Solitude is as needful to the imagination as society is wholesome for the character." James Russell Lowell

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Aug 05 2005 8:10 am

Joe, the GoLite is pricey so if you want to first try your hand at "umbrelling" go out to the Wal-Mart auto section where there is a 7oz model for just over $6. Then you can decide if you like it- and if you dont, Wally world honors refunds.
:D

mcontreras
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by mcontreras » Aug 05 2005 2:45 pm

Wow Didn't know an umbrella would bring on such a conversation. Who would have known. :)
JJ & Michelle Parents of 3

jeremy77777
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by jeremy77777 » Aug 06 2005 8:43 pm

Walmart is always the best
Oh Be Wise, Need I Say More?
- Jeremy

Davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Aug 07 2005 11:07 pm

Gotta say that I like the umbrella idea too. Kurt turned me onto it on a cayon trip in December. Not sure what kind I have but used it on a trip into Hellsgate in March. Stayed dry and was nice and cool too. I hate sweating in shell type jackets.

TIM

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 31 2006 9:01 pm

hikeaz wrote:
joe bartels wrote:thanks again, that's definitely the ticket! it's on the way, I'll try it out next week :)

kurt

Okay, almost a year has passed.

I've hiked with the Go-Lite on numerous 100+ degree days. I generally start off early as not to subject myself to the hottest part of the day. Best results are undoubtable on days with light to medium breezes. Windy days, albeit rare, are best avoided as you are hiking in a convection oven.

I do find that as good as it works, I don't prefer to hike over ten miles in 100+ degree heat. Although I haven't had any issues, the mental aspect sets in. Thoughts of "what the hell am I doing out here" start ruling my world.

To answer the question of Walmart vs GoLite. I guess for the sole purpose of desert hiking the Walmart cheapy may be the way to go. I can say the GoLite has been snagged on countless cacti without tearing. Pinhole punctured but no tearing. Granted you could buy SEVEN cheapies.

Now as far as a rain shield, the GoLite is hands down the choice. This sucker has been through multiple monsoon season storms without issue. The first time it inverted and practically folded over my gut tightened as I thought "crap fifty dollars down the drain". It's done that countless times and it doesn't show any signs of tear. It's almost unbelievable as the structure appears fragile.

The top cap/tip broke off and appears to be basic plastic unlike the rest of the umbrella. It performs the same but doesn't look new. It broke off on a hike that I was whacking dead tree limbs out of the way. (you should see the torture I've put my hiking poles through in the last three or four years!)

This umbrella was and still is worth every penny. Thanks Kurt!!!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Re:

Post by hikeaz » May 30 2012 11:16 am

joe bartels wrote:
hikeaz wrote:
teva joe wrote:thanks again, that's definitely the ticket! it's on the way, I'll try it out next week :)

kurt

Okay, almost a year has passed.

I've hiked with the Go-Lite on numerous 100+ degree days. I generally start off early as not to subject myself to the hottest part of the day. Best results are undoubtable on days with light to medium breezes. Windy days, albeit rare, are best avoided as you are hiking in a convection oven.

I do find that as good as it works, I don't prefer to hike over ten miles in 100+ degree heat. Although I haven't had any issues, the mental aspect sets in. Thoughts of "what the hell am I doing out here" start ruling my world.

To answer the question of Walmart vs GoLite. I guess for the sole purpose of desert hiking the Walmart cheapy may be the way to go. I can say the GoLite has been snagged on countless cacti without tearing. Pinhole punctured but no tearing. Granted you could buy SEVEN cheapies.

Now as far as a rain shield, the GoLite is hands down the choice. This sucker has been through multiple monsoon season storms without issue. The first time it inverted and practically folded over my gut tightened as I thought "crap fifty dollars down the drain". It's done that countless times and it doesn't show any signs of tear. It's almost unbelievable as the structure appears fragile.

The top cap/tip broke off and appears to be basic plastic unlike the rest of the umbrella. It performs the same but doesn't look new. It broke off on a hike that I was whacking dead tree limbs out of the way. (you should see the torture I've put my hiking poles through in the last three or four years!)

This umbrella was and still is worth every penny. Thanks Kurt!!!

More shade, less clamminess, now at a new, lower price! >>> ( dead link removed )
kurt

The_Eagle
Eaglepelli
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Re: Umbrellas

Post by The_Eagle » May 30 2012 11:35 am

Kurt,
Thanks for posting... been meaning to pick one up for quite awhile. Mine is on it's way!
Bruce
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » May 30 2012 12:37 pm

We all had them on the RA trek last year! Too bad we couldn't have gotten some sponsorship...
Attachments
Royal Arch 2011 - Funbrellas.jpg

tkknc
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by tkknc » May 30 2012 4:46 pm

FYI, the chrome dome is on sale for $20 directly from the Golite site

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » May 30 2012 5:46 pm

Everyone but me started out the Pt. Huitzil hike with one of those Golite umbrellas. But, early in the hike, I found one! So, I used it on the Tonto later on in the hike. Needless to say I didn't use it scrambling and sliding and downclimbing down the Huitzil route! It was hot on the Tonto (1st of Oct) and I did use it. It's a pain in the neck to have to carry the thing, have to say. I didn't like that part at all, but I suppose it did save me from a bit of sunstroke. I prefer my two hiking poles. I carried the bumbershoot in one hand and used one pole. Pain in the neck when I wanted to stop and take a photo. Getting old sucks. I never used to need any of that crap.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Clothing”