Apparel, sunglasses & umbrellas

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Hiking Pants

Post by Hoffmaster » Dec 03 2006 10:38 pm

I am looking for a new pair of hiking pants. I have a pair of Railriders Extreme Adventure Pants http://www.railriders.com/store/RailRid ... XTP2?Args=
but the crotch is way too baggy and it inhibits my movement. Does anyone know of some great overbuilt nylon hiking pants that do not restrict movement? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Hoffmaster

Post by Hoffmaster » Dec 03 2006 10:40 pm

Also, does anyone know if the gear shop in Jerome is still open? If so, what is the name of it, or how can I get in touch with them? They sold a brand of pants that I can't recall the name of, but they were exactly what I am looking for!
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

PrestonSands
City, State: Oro Valley, AZ

pants/Jerome

Post by PrestonSands » Dec 03 2006 11:49 pm

I have a pair of REI Sahara nylon pants with legs that zip off that I have been pretty happy with. The North Face equivalent is a little tighter in the crotch, but for me they inhibit movement somewhat.
The outdoor store in Jerome is Ghost Town Gear (928) 634-3113
I hope they are still open, it was a pretty cool store.
"I'm going for a coffee, but you never know when a hike might break out." -Jim Gaffigan

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 04 2006 5:19 am

You beat me to it Preston! Isn't that the neat store with all the big hookas up on the top shelves? Plus they have a full range of backpacking gear, clothing, footwear, maps, optics, etc. Something for everyone! :wink:
My info also says 415 Hull Ave., Jerome.

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Dec 04 2006 6:56 am

You should also check out the mountain hardwear convertible pack pants. They have chamois lining and extra panels in the seat. Also the legs will zip on to either side, so there's no more gfiguring out which leg goes where. I've been wearing them for a couple years now and I really like them. They are a bit pricey, but you know the old adage...
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 04 2006 7:07 am

My favorite are Columbia GRT pants. There are a couple different versions, and they've changed some over the years, but I've been pretty happy with both pairs I own. They're reasonably thorn-resistant and blood washes out nicely when they're not.

Hoffmaster

Post by Hoffmaster » Dec 04 2006 7:16 am

Thanks for the replies. I have one other criteria: No convertibles. I have yet to wear a comfortable pair of zip-offs; the zippers always rub the tops of my legs and I can't stand that!

Man, I am picky. :wink:

bryanmertz
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by bryanmertz » Dec 04 2006 9:58 am

I have a couple pair of the Prana Sonora Pant and have been happy with them. They are cotton canvas, but breath well, and have proven pretty durable scrambling on rocks, etc.

Bryan

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Dec 04 2006 2:29 pm

you might try here
plenty to choose from and they get new stock in on Thursdays.
I have Ex Officio No Brainer pants and Arc'teryx Cairn pants and Mtn. Hardwear Switchbacks- all three have a woven nylon that acts like canvas, but NO cotton... and shed water and catclaw like nobody's business. GOOD prices too.
:D

kylemorgan
City, State: Raleigh, NC

Post by kylemorgan » Dec 05 2006 7:16 am

Matt Hoffman wrote:I have yet to wear a comfortable pair of zip-offs; the zippers always rub the tops of my legs and I can't stand that!
That's why I hike naked.
"Efficiency is for robots....be effective." Mike Rowe

Hoffmaster

Post by Hoffmaster » Dec 05 2006 8:24 am

kylemorgan wrote:That's why I hike naked.
I still haven't found what I'm looking for....so hiking naked is beginning to seem like an option.

By the way, the brand of pants at Ghost Town Gear that I was looking for is Last Chance. Of course, they (Last Chance) don't sell wholesale anymore, and trying to google them is nearly impossible. I'm back to square one. You'd think that there'd be more nylon hiking pants with reinforced knees and seat out there. I guess people aren't as hard on pants as me. Maybe I should stay on the trail more often. :?:

AZHikr4444
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by AZHikr4444 » Dec 05 2006 11:19 am

I don't even try anymore. Hiking pants and trekking poles are becoming disposable for me- I'm thinking of just going with the Wal-mart trekkies-not paying big bucks for me just to destroy them!

I bought a new pair of REI convertibles about two months ago- already getting holes in the knees!
A true outdoorsman, when treed by a bear, sits back and enjoys the view.

Lost? Hell, I ain't never been lost. But I have been a mite confused for a week or two.
-The Mountain Men

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 05 2006 4:30 pm

I wear camis a lot, real US govt issue ones. They really last a long time. But they are cotton. They are pretty comfy and durable, though.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Dec 05 2006 5:40 pm

Matt Hoffman wrote:
kylemorgan wrote:That's why I hike naked.
I still haven't found what I'm looking for....so hiking naked is beginning to seem like an option.

By the way, the brand of pants at Ghost Town Gear that I was looking for is Last Chance. Of course, they (Last Chance) don't sell wholesale anymore, and trying to google them is nearly impossible. I'm back to square one. You'd think that there'd be more nylon hiking pants with reinforced knees and seat out there. I guess people aren't as hard on pants as me. Maybe I should stay on the trail more often. :?:
Maybe Montane Terra Pants ?
kurt

Hoffmaster

Post by Hoffmaster » Dec 05 2006 9:27 pm

hikeaz wrote: Maybe Montane Terra Pants ?
Thanks Kurt. I'm contemplating these pants right now. Kinda spendy. I'll probably get them. Thanks again.

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Dec 05 2006 9:35 pm

When we were out cutting an Xmas tree the other day, one of the kids that came along with the group was wearing just the sort of pants that you describe. I think they were snowboarding pants, designed for manuverability butt, and knee protection. Not sure about how heavy they were, but that might be something you could check into - sort of a different direction of research.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Dec 08 2006 3:36 pm

Matt Hoffman wrote:Thanks for the replies. I have one other criteria: No convertibles. I have yet to wear a comfortable pair of zip-offs; the zippers always rub the tops of my legs and I can't stand that!

Man, I am picky. :wink:
I say more power to you on the picky part...

If you don't like the MH convertible pack pants, take a look at the pack pants, same set of pant no extra zippers. The pants themselves are cut for backpackers, so there's no seams where they shouldn't be, my favorite part is the lining in the easily worn sections. It seems to give them a little more bounce (they don't tear through as easily or as often as other pants).
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jan 02 2007 5:25 pm

find anythin yet?
:D

Hoffmaster

Post by Hoffmaster » Jan 02 2007 7:14 pm

I was really interested in the Montane pants that Kurt mentioned, but $90 was a bit steep, especially around christmas time. I ended up settling on the North Face Paramount Hybrid pants.

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/ope ... model=AB5A

I was skeptical cause North Face is hit or miss with quality over the last few years, but I wore them over christmas for 3 days. I was climbing and scrambling and sliding in Bedrock, South Canyon, Soap Creek and Rider Canyon and they don't show any wear. Very impressive! The stretch panels are great and the pants are very light and breathe well. It's safe to say I like them!

Davis2001r6
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Jan 02 2007 10:57 pm

I would just like to find a pair of comfortable convertibles that have more than a 7" inseam at the zip-offs. Sorry but I'm not a fan of the 1970's basketball shorts :)

Return to “Clothing”