Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azmike
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: San Diego, CA

Umbrellas

Post by azmike » Jul 13 2009 9:19 pm

I had a great time on this trip and really enjoyed meeting everyone. Stopping at the Rim Side Grill in Pine for the prime rib sandwich was a real treat. I hope to get on a another HAZ outing soon.

The one thing I did learn on this trip was the importance of an umbrella. I get tired of putting the rain gear on and five minutes later taking it off. The umbrella is a no-brainer. I'm going to pick one up for South San Juan, CO. Thanks Joe and Kurt for the idea!

Mike Coulter

Hikebot recommends staying cool...
Trekking Umbrellas on Amazon

-

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Kendrick Peak overnight 7-11/12

Post by joebartels » Jul 13 2009 9:25 pm

Credit Kurt, even though I just met him he suggested the umbrella long ago. Here's mine four years ago, it's worth it's weight in gold IMO.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azmike
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by azmike » Jul 13 2009 9:57 pm

Joe, it looks like you have the Golite in the picture above. Is that true? I know Kurt's is a Golite. I'm looking at the Euroschirm umbrella right now, too. I'm going to pull the trigger on either one of Kurt's recommendations tonight. It will come in handy next week while backpacking in Colorado on the CDT.

When I saw both of you guys pull out the umbrellas without stopping, I was sold. Andy and I were stuck on the side of trail for 5 minutes donning our rain gear.

mike

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 13 2009 10:34 pm

Yep it's a GoLite. It's virtually indestructible. I've abused it quite a bit bushwhacking and it's been through ripping winds.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azmike
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by azmike » Jul 13 2009 10:36 pm

Great. I just placed an order for the Golite umbrella on ProLite Gear. Their having a sale on them for $24.95, regular $29.95.

drewboy
Hanginpelli
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Post by drewboy » Jul 14 2009 5:44 am

All right you guys, I was finally convinced on the umbrella too. The clincher for me has always been slowing my pace to a crawl going up the mountain just so I wouldn't get wetter on the inside than the outside from perspiration. Even using an Event jacket, the holy grail of breathable materials. A real asset for warmer weather hiking for sure. Eventually I'd like to explore one of the options of using one of my hiking poles and just mounting an umbrella top on it. With non-collapsible poles it's still a bit awkward juggling the three items around while hiking.I ended up picking up the Snow Peak ultralight umbrella. It had the features I wanted (coverage, UV protection, 4.7oz weight and collapsibility) but some reports of it being a little fragile. We'll see how it works out. The Supes will probably eat it alive. :o

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jul 14 2009 7:51 am

Francis Tapon used a GoLite umbrella as his sole raingear on his 2007 CDT Yo-Yo (about 5600 miles) [ youtube video ]

besides GoLite, Mont-Bell and BirdiePal also make worthy selections.
( dead link removed )
http://www.euroschirm.com/usa/index.cgi
i have the "dainty" but the "light trek" is more robust and slightly larger
:D

sirena
Grand Canyon Gazer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by sirena » Jul 14 2009 8:04 am

Yay! Umbrella converts! I use a cheapie Totes MicroMini umbrella that weighs about 5 oz, packs down to 6in. and costs about $5 at most stores (wal-mart, target, etc). Works great, inexpensive to replace when it gets torn to shreds by overgrown trails.

Anyone used a reflective silver umbrella? I am wondering how much of a difference it makes in the heat.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."
-Edward Abbey
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Re: Umbrellas

Post by te_wa » Jul 14 2009 8:27 am

ive had mine for 2 years. $14 from a valley Golf store. (hence the name, BirdiePal)
ive seen those walmart auto section umbrellas and they were small and light and ran about $7. a solid bet for sure, with the minimal rainfall we get here.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 14 2009 8:39 am

sirena wrote:Anyone used a reflective silver umbrella? I am wondering how much of a difference it makes in the heat.
I have the chrome dome, most of it's use is in the sun. I haven't used another to compare. It's pretty much what you'd think. Imagine hiking along praying for a cloud to relieve the pain. The difference being the ambient temp doesn't fall. It sure makes a difference. In 100+ temps you can't help but know you're cheating death.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

dysfunction
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by dysfunction » Jul 14 2009 9:01 am

Anyone know if the chrome domes reflect more heat than the regular golites?
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

BobP
Cairn Reaper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Jul 14 2009 9:10 am

They better... I just bought one and it was $5 dollars more. It said intense sunlight. The other just said sunlight. :)
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

dysfunction
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by dysfunction » Jul 14 2009 9:12 am

As much as I like my blue one.. I'm picking up a chrome dome soon I think :sl:

A man can only take so much, without feeling like a baked potato
mike

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Jul 14 2009 9:20 am

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,831 ... rella.html

good, cheap, reliable. dont expect hurricane protection (duh!). pair this with some spinn chaps and you're golden

if you hurry, use keycode GNF16362 or HVJ19266 for additional 20% off

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jul 14 2009 9:29 am

kurt

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 14 2009 10:13 am

ahh yes this sums it up for potential heat hiking
4 years ago I wrote:I do find that as good as it works, I don't prefer to hike over ten miles in 100+ degree heat. Although I haven't had any issues, the mental aspect sets in. Thoughts of "what the hell am I doing out here" start ruling my world.
it really starts to mess with your mind
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Grasshopper
Detailapelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 20 2009 5:09 pm

azmike wrote:I just placed an order for the Golite umbrella on ProLite Gear. Their having a sale on them for $24.95, regular $29.95.
I was following all this discussion on the benifits of having an umbrella and decided to also buy the GoLite Crome Dome from ProLite Gear. It arrived 4 days later. Having no metal parts on a hiking umbrella was a must need for me. Not having yet field tested it, I am visually pleased with the product so far except for the fact that it is 25" long with no collapsibility. This is not a problem for backpacking since the standard backpack height for securing the umbrella is probably more than 25", however I neglected to consider the fact that my need for this umbrella is for day hiking only and most day hiking packs (including mine) are less than 25" in length. Has anyone who owns one of these GoLite umbrellas come up with a good way to secure it to the outside of a daypack?.. secured to the side, in the lower mesh pocket of my fairly large day pack, this 25" umbrella rises 8" above the top of the day pack. Maybe a good reason for me to have a yellow HAZ flag to display :lol:
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 20 2009 5:20 pm

Fits fine in my old Camelbak Blowfish. It sticks up a good foot. However I find when I'm using it in the heat it's usually in use, not stowed.

Perhaps you could get two Velcro straps and integrate it on the side of one of your trekking poles.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

dysfunction
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by dysfunction » Jul 20 2009 7:44 pm

I secure mine using 2 pieces of shock cord on the outside (center) of the my camelbak mule. (military model, so it's strapped to the MOLLE loops). I have yet to lose it.. or trekking poles, which also ride there sometimes
mike

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jul 21 2009 8:11 pm

There's really no reason to limit its stowage to the outside. Why not just run it down one side of the inside of the pack; that way it will go down an inch or two more (than in an outside pocket) and it's better protected when not in use as well. (Obviously, after it has gotten wet there is a need for an alternate provision - potentially wrapping it in a trash bag, or other solution TBD.)
Umbrellas with a telescoping handle are somewhat to extremely less stout than a one-piece handle. Caveat Emptor.
kurt

Return to “Clothing”