Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
azmike
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: San Diego, CA

Umbrellas

Post by azmike » Jul 13 2009 9:19 pm

I had a great time on this trip and really enjoyed meeting everyone. Stopping at the Rim Side Grill in Pine for the prime rib sandwich was a real treat. I hope to get on a another HAZ outing soon.

The one thing I did learn on this trip was the importance of an umbrella. I get tired of putting the rain gear on and five minutes later taking it off. The umbrella is a no-brainer. I'm going to pick one up for South San Juan, CO. Thanks Joe and Kurt for the idea!

Mike Coulter

Hikebot recommends staying cool...
Trekking Umbrellas on Amazon

-

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Umbrellas

Post by hikeaz » Dec 16 2009 5:37 pm

Birdiepal Light (8oz.) Trekking Umbrella $14.95 @ Sierra Trading Post item #83143. (Retail @ $39.00)
kurt

Barrett
Krafty Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Barrett » Mar 19 2013 8:03 pm

I've been using the GoLite for many years and it can't be beat for hikes in full sun and high temps on open terrain 8) . Gone are the days of finding myself hiding in the thin shade of a Saguaro while my brain cooled down! It's also great for some types of rain/terrain combinations.
Unfortunately, several drawbacks limit what types of hikes on which I will take it along.
1) High wind - Impossible to control, dangerous on exposed terrain.
2) Scrambling/climbing - I've tried lashing it to my pack to allow the use of both hands with little luck.
3) Heavy brush/narrow slots - It's durable, but not indestructible.
The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar.
It was tense.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Mar 19 2013 8:09 pm

Better leave it behind for Devil's Chasm then.... :D :sweat: Especially if you go with me.... :sl:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Jun 23 2015 2:45 pm

Grasshopper wrote:
joe bartels wrote:Believe I'd scratch any thoughts of my velcro-ing to a trekking pole, too much ridged movement.
I've never had an issue stuffing it in my pack. It's super quick to access when it starts to rain.
I just had to confirm or deny regarding "Velcro-ing it to the trekking pole", so yesterday I went to Ace Hardware and spent $8.00 on 4 @ 3/4" straps..and it isn't going to work: As Joe notes..just can't get it secured tight enough to hold without it slipping down the pole, and attached it makes the pole a lot heavier than I originally thought. As recommended, it will work stuffed inside one side of my day pack.. rising 7" out vs 8" out if attached to the outside of my pack. As long as one is hiking on a well maintained trail it will work fine with a 7" height out, but I am a little concerned about on trail/off trail hiking with tree limbs down to hike under, but I'm sure it will be another good, used gear addition to my already stuffed 25lb+ daypack ;)
As far as the 'sliding' issue you can wrap your hiking pole a few times with 5/8" wide strip of duct tape - that should be enough purchase to stop the strap from sliding.

If the 7" ends up being a deal breaker - you could try this http://www.sungrubbies.com/items/women/ ... detail.htm at 13 oz. it's a bit heavy though. This one saves an ounce over that > http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/teleSc ... e_land=usa
kurt

Cheerycow
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Cheerycow » Jun 24 2015 12:21 pm

@Barrett

Yeppers, the GoLite umbrella is excellent...the silvery fabric reflects so much heat. Too bad they went out of business...
"In the woods, too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child...in this wood, we return to reason and faith." R.W. Emerson

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Jun 24 2015 12:36 pm

Cheerycow wrote:@Barrett

Yeppers, the GoLite umbrella is excellent...the silvery fabric reflects so much heat. Too bad they went out of business...

Golite was merely having them private labeled for them - you can buy the same umbrella (albeit somewhat more expensive), under another name >> Euroschirm Swing Liteflex. http://www.keithfoskett.com/different-i ... umbrellas/
kurt

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Aug 19 2015 8:00 am

Something new in the line of umbrellas for those of you that do not have three hands.
http://fortune.com/2015/08/18/phone-brella-umbrella/
Think smart phones or GPS devices as well.... :y:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Aug 19 2015 9:14 am

@SuperstitionGuy
Apparently MY phone isn't making all the connections it should be. Or do I need to buy that umbrella first?
Ja vi elsker dette landet

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Aug 20 2015 8:03 am

@chumley
chumley wrote:Apparently MY phone isn't making all the connections it should be. Or do I need to buy that umbrella first?
It might help if you have a better antenna.
Try hooking it up to your umbrella. ;)
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Aug 20 2015 10:31 am

one gust of wind and kiss that wrist goodbye
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

autumnstars
Viva Vegapelli
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » Aug 21 2015 7:28 am

@hikeaz
Will have to look into trying one. Thanks for the info.
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli

Post by rcorfman » Aug 21 2015 11:14 am

hikeaz wrote:Golite was merely having them private labeled for them - you can buy the same umbrella (albeit somewhat more expensive), under another name >> Euroschirm Swing Liteflex. keithfoskett.com/di ... las/
You can also get the same umbrella at Gossamer Gear, look under shelters.
Go find a LonelyCache

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Aug 21 2015 11:40 am

@rcorfman
I believe the Gossamer version is a competitor? It has different specs than the GoLite.
Ja vi elsker dette landet

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Aug 21 2015 12:16 pm

chumley wrote:@rcorfman
I believe the Gossamer version is a competitor? It has different specs than the GoLite.
Gossamer Gear 'Chrome' Umbrella = Swing Liteflex Silver Trekking Umbrella
http://www.keithfoskett.com/different-i ... umbrellas/
kurt

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 22 2015 5:53 am

Trail booty!!!: I have one of those GoLite umbrellas which I found conveniently located in the woods while hiking to Pt. Huitzil. A few days later on the trip it came in handy on the Tonto Trail in very unpleasant heat. I have never used it since. HOWEVER, I'll be hiking Supai in a couple of weeks, and I'm glad this topic has come up. Although I find the umbrella annoying, because you have to hold it (and I prefer hiking with two poles, so would have to put one of them away) I will bring the umbrella on that trip. It may come in very handy.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Shnipe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Arizona

Post by Shnipe » Aug 26 2015 10:44 am

I wouldn't quite call them converts but I've gotten my 7 year old and 4 year old daughters into hiking more this year than ever. They've had cheapie umbrellas for the sun since the beginning. I figured for 5 bucks they could learn to use them and see the benefit before getting them something lighter and better. Go figure that now they don't want better and want to keep their purple grape and zebra prints.

We did Fossil Springs from the strawberry side and they rocked it the whole way up woth 2pm sun/heat. They would tell a few people who were overheated that they should have brought an umbrella because they're so much cooler (7 year olds joking word play)
The Striver grimly and gamely puts one foot in front of the other pushing forward up the trail.

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Nov 10 2015 3:23 pm

kurt

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Nov 13 2015 9:10 pm

We highly recommend trail umbrellas... Trail tested, hiker approved (ask Liz!)
Attachments
Royal Arch 2011 186.jpg

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 14 2015 7:05 am

@PLC92084
Oh, a ghost from the past! We often wonder what ever happened to you...
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Clothing”