Apparel, sunglasses & umbrellas

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
tracker
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Outdoor clothing for this winter/spring

Post by tracker » Oct 31 2002 12:28 pm

I really want to change my cool/cold weather clothing for this winter/spring. I have in the past used a wool military pullover when packpacking in the desert location. Anybody have any other hints on fleece or other fabrics. I mostly BP and do some hiking with my wife.
:?
"My pack weighs less than a hotel room, simple........."

MaryPhyl
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by MaryPhyl » Oct 31 2002 1:32 pm

In the last few years I have changed over to synthetic fabrics. I like polartec power stretch better than the fleece because it is just as warm and it is less bulky and weighs less. There are nice nylon pants now that cut the breeze. If you buy them with legs that zip off they can be worn year round. I use Frogg Toggs for rain gear and as a windbreaker. These would not be good if you are rough on things like pushing through bushes because they are a bit delicate and might tear. My husband tears his and he is a walking mass of duct tape. If it is too warm for the power stretch then I take silk. Many folks like Patagonia silk weight things but I cannot talk myself into the money.
Fleece is good for hats and gloves--it dries quickly. I wear cool max shirts--sleeveless in summer and long sleeve in winter. I have a white desert shirt I like to wear. It is made by sequel in Durango Colorado. It is mesh on the bottom and the underside of the sleeves is mesh. It has big pockets with velcro on them. I am wearing it in the picture of me by this post.
I like double layer no blister cool max sacks.
If there is any of this stuff you are interested in I can probably find where you might buy it on the net.

tracker
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by tracker » Oct 31 2002 3:05 pm

Thanks for the info. I've been looking into Coolmax stuff. I'm hoping for a shirt or two @ Christmas time. I already have two pairs of convertible pants and I luv em. I bought at sam's club for about $13 bucks each. The best deal I've ever seen. Its just the shirts and jacket that I can't seem to pin down right now. I will look into the polartec. Where can I get them?
"My pack weighs less than a hotel room, simple........."

Randy
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

winter gear

Post by Randy » Oct 31 2002 5:10 pm

Tracker:

I like the new windblocker fleece a lot, as it saves having to wear a shell over the top on windy days. I recently bought a 200 weight windblocker jacket at REI and have basically retired my older model. Lotsa layers is the key. A bottom layer of synthetic polypropylene underware is a good start-using either the middleweight or expedition weight-or carry both like I do (Big pack!). REI's MTS or Patagonia's Capeline lines are good examples of the genre. BTW, the synthetic undies are great for hiking all year, they don't hold sweat like cotton. A button down nylon shirt-or, on a very cold day one of the micro fleece shirts (similar to the old cotton "chamois" except synthetic and hydrophobic) topped by a windblocker fleece jacket of 200 or 300 weight (bigger number, heavier weight) will get you pretty close.

A gore-tex or other proprietary waterproof/breathable shell and pants covers it all. Cotton is to be avoided at all costs. The "Fabric of Death" is nature's own evaporative cooler. The same features that make it so comfortable on a hot summer day turn it into a short cut to hypothermia on a cold wet windy day. Adding or removing layers of the above,depending on your level of exertion is most of the battle. A nice extra is a down vest, which stuffs up into a small, light carry, keeping the torso warm. The best ones feature a "microfiber" material which helps shed water and block wind. Mountain Hardwear makes a really nice one.

We often forget how much heat is lost though the head and hands. A nice fleece or wool/poly blend stocking cap is a great help (also if one tends to sleep cold in a three season bag) as are a pair of gloves. I like the fleece ones with the little rubber pads, so when I fall down on the trail trying to keep up with Mike, I have some traction on the way up. Finally, a wet pair of boots doesn't help. Whatever waterproofing is suggested for a boot type helps keep the sox dry. I like a thin polypro liner next to the skin and a wool or wool blend outer sock from someone like Wigwam, Thorlo or Smartwool.

The above are not in the Army surplus price range. Remember- the Army takes low bidder.... Both Sierra Trading Post and REI-Outlet offer discontinueds, irregulars and last years models for much less than retail.

When all else fails, nothing beats a dog for putting out BTUs in a small enclosed space. -Randy
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for." -Louis L'Amour

Lizard
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Lizard » Oct 31 2002 5:26 pm

I am not a big fan of fleece. It is inexpensive and hydrophobic, but at the same time it is bulky and leaks wind like a sieve (except for Windbloc fabrics, but those are even bulkier and heavier). What I use is a sythentic-fill jacket. These block out wind very effectively and compress nicely in your pack. They are generally lighter as well. Examples would be the Patagonia Puffball and the MEC Northern Lite 2.

The Frogg Toggs are nice for hiking on trails, though they are a bit fragile for bushwhacking. If you decide to get polypropylene rainwear, I would suggest looking into Propore rather than Frogg Toggs. The Propore jackets are specifically made for hiking so the design is more well-thought out.
"Of course we weren't lost. We were merely where we shouldn't have been, without knowing exactly where that was."

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Nov 01 2002 5:39 pm

Layer for the weather. I agree with Randy. I may wear polypro thermal underwear and a nylon outer garment. Wind or rain I will add an outer shell or use a poncho. I also use fleece type garments ad wear cotton garments, but proper layeringis the key to a comfortable and safe outdoor activity.

LindaAnn
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Re: Outdoor clothing for this winter/spring

Post by LindaAnn » Dec 30 2015 1:26 pm

I'm jumping on an old thread for this one...

This one is mostly for the ladies--Costco is selling some ultra-light down jackets (brand is 32 Degrees) for only $14.99. They would be great for hiking. They're not super warm, but certainly appropriate for hiking at lower elevations, and at that price, it's not a big deal if they get snagged or torn up. It rolls up pretty small to easily fit in a pack, and is water resistant. I noticed they run a little small, I had to get a Medium, especially to fit over other layers. Given that they're at Costco, they probably won't be there very long, so if you're interested, don't wait too long.

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Dec 30 2015 1:56 pm

@lindaagm
Costco also carries 32 degree brand base layers which are great. They also carry a little heavier weight base layer by paradox which is a polyester merino spandex blend which works well. End of season with limited sizes left I got the blend for 12 bucks and the 32 degree base layer for 6 bucks. I think they are normally 12 and 19.99 which is still a good price for the tops. Never used the pant baselayer.
They carry both in men's and women's
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

nikorock28
City, State: Kingman, AZ

Post by nikorock28 » Dec 30 2015 3:05 pm

I, as well, purchased the 32 Degree base layer at Costco. I forget what the price was, but they were on sale and it was cheap, so I got one.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 30 2015 4:02 pm

Hoping to be back into Tevas and shorts pretty soon!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

ALMAL
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL » Dec 30 2015 4:20 pm

@azbackpackr
I second the shorts and sandals...
You aren't late if you don't show up!

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Dec 30 2015 9:47 pm

I grabbed 3 of the short sleeve 32 degree for $6 on sale at Costco a few months ago, and just got one of the long sleeve too. Lightweight, quick dry, and ultra soft. Super comfy to even hike in as a single layer.

LindaAnn

Post by LindaAnn » Apr 17 2016 1:36 pm

Since I seem to be addicted to clothes shopping...

I was at Costco today, and they have both men's & women's 32Degrees short sleeve cool tees for $6.99. Not a huge variety of colors, but I picked up three for myself.

And, they have men's convertible pants for $19.99. I think the brand was BC Clothing, and three different colors; looked pretty decent for the price. No women's though, sigh...

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Apr 17 2016 1:47 pm

probably similar to http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PX5U8JK?tag=hikearizona
Turn inside out before wash... Tumble dry low maximum 10 minutes
yeah right
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

LindaAnn

Post by LindaAnn » Apr 17 2016 1:54 pm

@joebartels Yes, looks pretty similar. I can honestly say, I don't think I've ever read the care directions on any clothing I've ever bought. If something can't handle a standard wash/dry cycle, then it can't handle me. From looking at those pants in the store today, I'd say they would be just fine with regular washing & drying.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Apr 17 2016 4:04 pm

lindaagm wrote:If something can't handle a standard wash/dry cycle, then it can't handle me.
:pk:
Highway to hell

skatchkins
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by skatchkins » Apr 18 2016 8:34 am

Grrr. Good deal except how is 32 a long length?
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

LindaAnn

Post by LindaAnn » Apr 18 2016 8:40 am

@skatchkins They also had 34 length at Costco.

skatchkins
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by skatchkins » Apr 18 2016 8:46 am

lindaagm wrote:@skatchkins They also had 34 length at Costco.
Thanks I will try them. I usually buy 32x36 for my oddbird stand'ums.
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Apr 21 2016 12:52 pm

I really dig the 32 degrees shirts, I have a few and they have become my hiking standard shirt. Nice and cool, quick dry, and they don't seem to hold the latent stink of some of my other regular use hiking duds.

Return to “Clothing”