Apparel, sunglasses & umbrellas

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Non-cotton active sports shirts

Post by chumley » Feb 28 2013 6:14 pm

Different manufacturers have different names for their sports shirts. Most use similar technology to wick away moisture while still breathing well. They are often expensive, and once they've been used a few times, the stink will never wash out.

Which is why I'm posting that Old Navy has their own brand called Active something or another, and the shirts are normally $13, but currently on sale for $9.

For $9, why not get a few and just plan on getting rid of them when they get too ripe?

They come in an array of colors, including electric Bob. (http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=257068)

I have no affiliation with Old Navy nor the 8-year old Malaysian girls who make their clothes. Just thought I'd mention it cause I thought it was a good deal.
Profound observer

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Non-cotton active sports shirts

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 04 2015 4:57 pm

I did but can't find the shorts on the website, but I did find them on Amazon. I wonder if it's not the same company. Is the logo on the shorts the same as the logo on the website?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Sep 04 2015 5:08 pm

@azbackpackr
Yes it is the same logo. I really like the shorts and zippers are better than Velcro.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 04 2015 5:31 pm

Cool!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Sep 04 2015 8:49 pm

@Widowmaker
I chuckle everytime eye see shorts advertise with a SPF rating... I meen reelly.....
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Sep 04 2015 9:38 pm

The Eagle wrote:@Widowmaker
I chuckle everytime eye see shorts advertise with a SPF rating... I meen reelly.....
I withhold laughter as long as the number is high enough to ensure poor visibility.

ALMAL
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL » Sep 08 2015 9:11 am

Thanks Chumley for the Old Navy tip, I picked up 3 short sleeve and one long sleeve over the weekend.
Not saying I have the same problem with stench not washing out, maybe time to wash your "pack and shoulder straps"...
You aren't late if you don't show up!

chumley

Post by chumley » Sep 08 2015 10:04 am

So in the exact opposite direction of Old Navy, I was recently gifted a Patagucci shirt that has performed amazingly well. While super-thin, it's made of merino wool rather than some poly blend. After days of use, it doesn't hold my stink either. Even before washing it! :y:

Now if only it didn't cost $70. :o
](*,)
Profound observer

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Sep 08 2015 11:05 am

chumley wrote:After days of use, it doesn't hold my stink either. Even before washing it!
Aw heck, who worries about 'my stink' anymore?
After wearing the same clothes for three weeks in Tanzania I was just beginning to smell like the local folk... another week and I may have been just ripe enough to fit in.
:o

P.S. I did change underwear at least a few times during the three weeks... :whistle:
CannondaleKid

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Sep 10 2015 7:05 am

I miss living in Boise and having the Sierra Trading Post outlet store down the street from my house. Great place to stock up on cheap outdoor clothing.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Sep 10 2015 10:56 am

SpiderLegs wrote:I miss living in Boise and having the Sierra Trading Post outlet store down the street from my house. Great place to stock up on cheap outdoor clothing.
I stopped by there in July. It was nice, but I would have liked it better if the store had more of the dress clothes they sell online. I did get an excellent pair of pants for $10.

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Sep 10 2015 11:18 am

big_load wrote:
SpiderLegs wrote:I miss living in Boise and having the Sierra Trading Post outlet store down the street from my house. Great place to stock up on cheap outdoor clothing.
I stopped by there in July. It was nice, but I would have liked it better if the store had more of the dress clothes they sell online. I did get an excellent pair of pants for $10.
It's an outlet store, so hit and miss on what they have. Some weeks they have lots of dress clothes.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

chumley

Post by chumley » Aug 01 2019 7:30 am

Yay Science!!

New research shows that fabrics can be embedded with pleasant scents that activate when you sweat. Including citronella, which of course, will also help repel mosquitos.

I don't care what scent they embed, I can't imagine it will smell any better than bathroom spray, which is the equivalent of "a pile of shit in a bed of roses".

https://www.cnet.com/news/scientists-cr ... you-sweat/
A team of engineers from the University of Minho in Portugal have developed two ways to modify cotton fabric so that it lets off a citronella aroma when it comes in contact with sweat. Their methods for using sweat against itself are outlined in the journal ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces.

The scientists used a protein found in pigs' noses (yes, hog snouts could be the key to sweet-smelling sweat) that binds to scent molecules.
Profound observer

LindaAnn
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by LindaAnn » Aug 07 2019 10:03 am

Shampoo sweaty clothing before washing it in a load of laundry. Shampoo is designed to wash away oils, sweat, and odors without being harsh. Most of us take a shower right after a hike, so just take the sweaty clothing in the shower with you and use a drop of shampoo to give a quick wash. Takes about a minute without much effort. Wash in a washing machine as usual afterward. I don't know how effective it would be at removing set-in odors from synthetics, but it seems to prevent new odors from becoming permanent. I rarely wear synthetic shirts, most of my clothing is wool, but almost all sports bras are synthetic, and this method works on them.

LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, Arizona

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Aug 07 2019 10:50 am

@chumley
Your "bed of roses" comment brings to mind a workplace bathroom we had in the 80's which had a can of Glade "Evergreen Fresh" on the shelf. A co-worker emerged one day and said..."don't anyone go in there, someone pooped a pine tree."
"In beauty happily I walk, With beauty before me I walk, With beauty behind me I walk, With beauty all around me I walk"
Navajo Nightway Chant

tibber
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by tibber » Aug 07 2019 10:52 am

I use Sport-Wash for my hiking and gym clothes. It really is a great product, I get it on amazon:
Sport-Wash Residue-Free Laundry Detergent rinses completely.
It leaves nothing behind to reduce fabric performance, and also removes the residue from other lost features like water repellency, wicking of perspiration, low friction.

From the company:
Sport-Wash Residue Free Detergent is safe for all washable fabrics, and yet powerful enough to remove odors and your toughest stains such as soil, blood, and grass.

Its secret is that unlike other detergents designed to leave brighteners, fragrances, and other residue behind, Sport-Wash rinses completely. Nothing is left on your clothing to clog the pores of your fabric. Cotton, wool, and synthetic materials are left completely clean. Insulation like down, Thinsulate, and Hollofil fluff up for maximum warmth. And even difficult to clean sportswear materials such as Gore-Tex have their waterproofing and breathability restored.

The total rinsability of Sport-Wash leaves nothing behind to smell, clog, or radiate UV glow from brighteners. While Sport-Wash does not contain phosphates to "brighten" your clothes, you'll find it does not need them because on its own it leaves fabrics cleaner than any other detergent.

In addition, if you or any members of your family have sensitive skin or are allergic to the residue left behind by commercial detergents, Sport-Wash eliminates the rash, redness, and irritation you've suffered through with other detergents. No more itchy, irritated skin.

Sport-Wash is safe and effective even for "delicate care" fabrics. It will remove stains and odors without harming bright colors. It likely costs less per load than your regular laundry detergent and completely eliminates the need for fabric softener (another source of odor and chemical irritation).
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

chumley

Post by chumley » Aug 07 2019 11:01 am

@tibber Do you work for them? :sweat:
Profound observer

tibber
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by tibber » Aug 07 2019 11:10 am

chumley wrote:
Aug 07 2019 11:01 am
@tibber Do you work for them? :sweat:
no but I should.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

LindaAnn
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by LindaAnn » Aug 07 2019 11:21 am

@tibber Thanks for the info, I’ll have to order a bottle today! I haven’t ordered anything on Amazon in a few days, so they probably think I’m dead.

LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, Arizona

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Aug 07 2019 11:37 am

@LindaAnn
You funny girl...you make funny joke.
Attachments
lol.jpg
"In beauty happily I walk, With beauty before me I walk, With beauty behind me I walk, With beauty all around me I walk"
Navajo Nightway Chant

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Aug 07 2019 12:36 pm

We've been using organic Sapindus Mukorossi "soap nuts" for over a year with great results in fighting odors. We make use of the 'recycling' side benefit by draining the wash water (both wash & rinse water) directly into the tree-wells of our orange trees.
CannondaleKid

Return to “Clothing”