Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

In defense of convertible pants

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 03 2013 9:05 pm

I like convertible pants (AKA "zip-offs) because I really do prefer hiking in shorts, but sometimes it's super chilly in the morning, or chilly on top of the mountain, or at night in camp, or you end up bushwhacking when you hadn't planned on it, so then I can pull out the legs and zip them on. I don't like those capri-type ones. I only like the ones that convert to shorts. I also like them to be real hiking pants, with cargo pockets--the more the merrier.

The shorts sections of my remaining two pairs of zip-offs are very faded and stitched-up and patched, whereas the legs are in pretty good shape. That reflects how I use the pants--mostly as shorts, with the added benefit of making them long when I need to.

So, I find that REI seems to be out of most sizes, and has few choices, most of which make into capris. I found a nice pair on EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) and might order them there, but will probably look further, compare prices.

I have to take issue with the editor of Outside who said they are the worst outdoor gear invented. Huh? I know from long experience they are one of the best inventions, especially for the Southwest. Oh, but wait, most magazines are East Coast-centric... And that guy mentioned he is hung up on fashion, as well.

So, what's with the wane in popularity of these pants? Are people really such fashion victims that they are all caught up about how they look? In fact, the better brands don't look bad at all. Why would I want to carry a pair of pants in my day pack on a day when I would wear shorts 3/4 of the day? Ditto in my overnight backpack.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: In defense of convertible pants

Post by big_load » Dec 04 2013 9:25 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Since when do you buy the women's ones? :D
I actually have bought women's Sahara pants, but was fortunately not required to try them on first.

azbackpackr wrote:Mojave line? Must be for men, I don't see it in the women's line-up. And most of what they show are the capris. I have no use for those.
Mojave is the same fabric as Sahara, but has additional features. Perhaps there are only Mojave shirts, since I don't recall ever seeing pants. The Mojave shirts have pit zips with mesh vents and their collars have an extra unfoldable flap for sun protection.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Re: In defense of convertible pants

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 04 2013 9:27 pm

Well, there you go. And I recently bought a pair of men's shoes. Fortunately, no one makes fun of you if you are a woman trying on men's shoes! (Must be a lesson in double standards here, somewhere...)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Clothing”