Apparel, sunglasses & umbrellas

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Sun Glasses UV Protection

Post by Jim_H » Nov 24 2014 8:51 am

Back in August when I went to Flag and weather thwarted a Humphrey attempt, I bought new sun glasses to replace the ones I still have that were bought in April of 2011. I hoped to get a new pair of the same ones. Anyway, I bought a new pair that I didn't care for all that much after using them, and I have noted that my eyes seem sun burned after wearing them. As a test, yesterday on Table MT I wore my old ones, and surprise, surprise, the old ones seem to have blocked the UV A and B rays, where as the new pair leaves my eyes burned, or blood shot.

I don't know when the new pair stopped working, if it ever did work, but I clean both pairs with alcohol because that cleans oils off the best. Anyone else ever had this issue?

Last, I know the old pair was and is great, but the rubber parts are falling apart.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Sun Glasses UV Protection

Post by chumley » Nov 24 2014 9:03 am

Years and years ago, I watched a news report on Dateline NBC about protection from UVA and UVB on all kinds of sunglasses.

Basically the conclusion was that some glasses advertise protection that doesn't exist, but nearly all do provide the necessary protection. The odd thing was that it seemed that the $10 glasses at Walmart were less likely to falsely claim protection than some of the upper-tier $200+ brands were.

Take all of this with a grain of salt. It's not like Dateline NBC ever purposely blew up cars to sell a story about exploding gas tanks or anything.

Also. Wear a hat.
Highway to hell

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Nov 24 2014 9:30 am

I've had decent luck with glasses in the $25-$40 range. Seem to work fine and I don't get upset if I lose them, drop them or have to throw them away if they get scratched or fall apart. Look on Amazon for some good deals. Used to work at a bike shop and sell Oakley, Bolle and other high end sunglasses. Let's just say the profit margin on those glasses was obscene. The glasses were good, but not substantially better than a $30 pair of glasses.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Nov 24 2014 10:16 am

Very little UV, if any, passes thru glass or plastic - esp if it's dark, so all glasses have UV protection. Advertising UV protection for all glasses is a marketing ploy. If you don't believe that, then place a lens on your body while sunbathing, and you'll see that you won't get sunburn or tanned where you placed the lens.

Jim, If your eyes are burning or bloodshot from a hike, it might be because the light, dry air, wind, or another factor, but not the UV.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 24 2014 10:22 am

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but after forgetting my sunglasses and going without on a long hike a few years ago and experiencing LESS eye discomfort I stopped wearing them on hikes. Since then I've used my regular glasses along with a wide-brimmed hat and the only time I experience discomfort or red-eyes has been due to windy/dusty/high-pollen days, which little to do with eye wear... unless wearing goggles I suppose.
Pretty much the only time I wear sunglasses now are when driving toward the sun when glare is the issue.
CannondaleKid

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Nov 24 2014 10:59 am

@Jim_H
I have noted that my eyes seem sun burned after wearing them
Have you thought about wearing a welder's mask?

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Nov 24 2014 12:15 pm

Interesting. I don't know why my eyes were more red a day after a hike in my new ones, than with the old ones. I still like the older ones better.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Nov 24 2014 1:23 pm

@Jim_HI wonder if other people who bought your sunglasses have the same or similar issue. :-k

I did some reading on UV and sunglasses. Some (50% or less) UVA can pass thru glass. The thicker and darker the glass, the less UV can pass. UVB cannot pass thru glass. Plastic is a better barrier for UVA and the darker the sunglasses, the more UVA it blocks. If the glasses are not fully covering the eyes than some light and UV will hit your eyes. But I'm guessing that it's not the UV that's irritating your eyes, as the UV index is low this time of year. But whatever the case is, it sounds like a new pair of sunglasses needs to be on your Xmas list this year.
Last edited by gummo on Nov 24 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Nov 24 2014 4:20 pm

I got a $40 pair of Native sunglasses 3 or 4 years ago without looking at any labels regarding protection. I guess I just like to live on the edge.

In response to the poll: I tried clicking the diamond between "yes" and "no" and nothing happened, so I went with yes.

desert_boonie
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by desert_boonie » Nov 24 2014 8:05 pm

I wear any brand I can get without paying too much and never look at any UV rating. Without sunglasses my eyes are just too sensitive to the sun. They have always seemingly been that way, but especially more so after I had lasik eye surgery done. But I do always have to take them off at certain spot outdoors so I can see the natural beauty with my own eyes.
"Never Satisfied"

Bradshaws

Post by Bradshaws » Nov 24 2014 8:54 pm

I've always been a bit of a sunglass junkie :oops: I have paid as much as $300 dollars for a pair of shades. After all the crazy shades I've owed, I own a (more like 3) pair of no frills Arnette's. I've been wearing the same model for 5-6 years. They cost exactly $100. They are by far the best shades I've ever owned.

As for UV rating, I've never paid attention 8-[ for me it is all about how they comfort my eyes in the sun and for me it is all about the ppolarization. Regular sunglasses only cut down light from straight on but that is rarely the light that irritates my eyes. Polarized lenses cut down the glare from water, ice and other cars. Cheap or wildly expensive, polarization for me is the most important aspect for sunglasses :M2C:
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

Return to “Clothing”