Tents, tarps, sleeping bags & general campsite gear

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Tent pole repair

Post by Nighthiker »

Used a small crochet hook to remove the knot at the end of a tent pole so I can replace the elastic cord in the tent poles. My backpacking tents use 1/8 " cord and is sold as bungee cord.
jk
tdwood
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Tent pole repair

Post by tdwood »

I brought my Half Dome poles to REI and one of the reps showed me how to replace the cord (while selecting a slightly larger gauge of cord that ended up being less than optimal). Even after watching a YT video, marking all poles to insure proper reassembly, etc., I still goofed it all up. Learned an important lesson about proper storage of outdoor gear, though.
ALMAL
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL »

look into a tent that uses your trekking poles...
You aren't late if you don't show up!
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

@tibber
According to Dave Baker of the Summit Hut, the shock cord will last longer if you begin your folding of the poles in the middle of the pole rather than on one end. This will not help your current problem, but could prolong the cord function in future for you.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
AZClaimjumper
City, State: Reno, Nevada

Post by AZClaimjumper »

@tibber
REI has no plastic clips to sell you if any break. REI refers you to "go online".
I owned the Quarter Dome SL! briefly. I didn't like the really thin material used for the tent floor. The footprint was also a lame product. I sold my tent on eBay after 3-4 nights in the tent & replaced it in May 2020 with Hilleberg Enan (Dark Green) only 3 days B4 they ran out of inventory. Backorders now take 1 year to fill.
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

tibber wrote: No, it didn't break, it just stretched.
I've restrung a couple sets of tent poles with new shock cord. It was fairly easy, apart from pulling the tips out of the end sections, which required some grunting and a furrowed brow.
tibber
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by tibber »

Thanks to @chumley we were able to re-cord the stretched area. It had its challenges but was successful. And yes, there may have been a "furrowed brow" involved but nothing a beer couldn't soothe over😉.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

Return to “Shelter, Bags & Camp”