Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Tent pole repair

Post by Nighthiker » Oct 09 2018 8:07 pm

Used a small crochet hook to remove the knot at the end of a tent pole so I can replace the elastic cord in the tent poles. My backpacking tents use 1/8 " cord and is sold as bungee cord.
jk

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Tent pole repair

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 10 2018 7:35 am

@Nighthiker
Tip I heard from an old-timer: Fold your tent poles starting in the middle. That way the stress on the bungee will be more evenly distributed.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Oct 10 2018 1:33 pm

Miles Gear Uber Bivy; he is using delrin rods to make the hoops for the head elevation on the bivy. Looking at some DIY at perhaps using a version of that for my bivy, trip to home depot, lowes or Ace in the offing to see what I can come up with. will lighten things up a few ounces if I can get some cut to proper length and get the plastic joints. Eliminates shock cording, and apparently depending on diameter the Delrin is pretty strong, yet flexible.

The_Dude
Hortipelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by The_Dude » Oct 10 2018 3:18 pm

This is an amazingly timely post. I have a Quarter Dome 1 that I got from REI less than 2 years ago, and when I put the tent up on the first night of my 5 day Grand Canyon trip a few weeks ago I found the shock cord was shot. I could still make it work, but a pain in the behind to say the least. Amazing, I have a $30 Big 5 tent from 20 years ago that is still going strong, and the expensive one I just got is crapping out. I am trying to argue with them about the whole "100% customer satisfaction guarantee" and not getting too far. Probably will have to end up repairing it myself. Good thing my wife likes to crochet, I can steal one of her hooks. :?

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Oct 10 2018 4:22 pm

REI sells shock cord in their stores. It's on a spool and you can buy any length you need. I've replaced the cord in my tent poles before. It's not difficult, but it helps to have a couple of clamps to hold it stretched while you tie the knots. Moisture in the pole can cause deterioration to the outer fabric of the cord, while heat is bad for the interior elastic rubber. Nothing lasts forever!
smoke it

Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Oct 10 2018 6:46 pm

I have a friend who bicycle tours that uses a Delrin one piece rod for his Eureka Solitaire tent. When riding he attaches the rod to his rear rack and attaches a bright orange flag to it.
jk

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli

Post by RedRoxx44 » Oct 12 2018 2:36 pm

well, thread hijack but planning this weekend a short backpack to an area of interest to test out my prototype pole substitution on a black diamond bivy. Lowes didn't have Delrin but another type and while not as strong seems to do the job. We will see how it holds up.
Additional hijack-- obtained a vintage Granite Gear Vapor Trail "x" beams pack from Hong Kong. Will be it's maiden voyage with me this weekend also. This pack was sold in Japan, apparently never in the US.
Last edited by RedRoxx44 on Oct 12 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pivo
Nueva Vidapelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Pivo » Oct 12 2018 3:51 pm

@RedRoxx44
Hopefully you stay dry this weekend.

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli

Post by RedRoxx44 » Oct 12 2018 5:36 pm

Actually I am trying out my winter, wet, sort of bad weather set up to see how it does. If it doesn't work, I'll not be too far from car or just get in a mine tunnel with the snakes.

Pivo
Nueva Vidapelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Pivo » Oct 13 2018 6:32 am

SSSSSnake SSSSSSSnuggle

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Oct 13 2018 8:40 am

many sources for quality shock cord. i used to buy it buy the 500' spools back when i made sleeping quilts.
quest outfitters, hammock gear, arrowhead equipment, dutchware, and other places sell just what you need. it's cheap... https://www.questoutfitters.com/Tent_Po ... TENT_POLES
also, a little warehouse called "Tempe Sales" has it. along with many backpack repair parts.
Last edited by te_wa on Oct 13 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
:D

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Oct 14 2018 6:22 pm

@RedRoxx44
You're such a badass - I love it! :)
Where is the "dislike" button?

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli

Post by RedRoxx44 » Oct 15 2018 6:28 am

@cactuscat
Thanks, but I am hardly that any more, maybe when I was 10-15 years younger.

Return to “Shelter, Bags & Camp”