Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
corlukan
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Yuma

Need a cheap tent

Post by corlukan » Jun 18 2007 8:59 am

I am new to backpacking and would like some tent advice. I would like to find a lightweight 2-person tent, but only want to spend upwards of $125. I have scoured ebay, my local REI, online stores, etc. and have really come to no decision about what is best. A customer service rep. from Campmor recommended the Kelty Teton II.

Just how good/bad are the $35 Sam's Club tents for sale and what differentiates them from the $300 Big Agnes, MSR and other tents I see at REI?

Cory

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Re: Need a cheap tent

Post by te_wa » Jun 18 2007 9:59 am

let me get back to you on that, Ive been searching for a light solo tent. BRB
:D

djui5
Seed Gatherin' Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by djui5 » Jun 18 2007 7:10 pm

I bought one of those $35 tents from Wal-Mart. After getting some new tent stakes, it works fine. I don't do any serious camping in it though, but as an overnight tent it's great. I haven't slept in it in the rain, so I'm not sure how it'll fair there.

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Jun 18 2007 7:58 pm

ok this Cabelas tent won backpacker magazines "best budget tent" and it looks like a solid choice for the money.
Over here we have a nice and affordable Coleman model.
both are of decent quality, much better than a wally world model.

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Jun 18 2007 8:32 pm

Mike, er, I mean te-wa, that Cabela's tent goes over this dude's budget. I was going to suggest maybe saving up for another week or so. It would be a lot easier to find a decent 2 person tent in the $140-$150 range. That Cabelas tent would be a good choice, or my current personal favorite, the Sirius from Sierra Designs. Should be about the same price at REI as the Cabelas tent.
te-wa: What does that mean to you? There are many defintions. I'm just curious.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli
City, State: Northern Italy

Post by davis2001r6 » Jun 18 2007 8:39 pm

Dang it Matt you beet me to it. I was going to suggest the Sirious tent as well. About a 1/2 lb lighter as well. I was never a big fan of the vestibule set up though, but never actually seen one in use to see how well it works. It's gotten some good reviews as well.
Sirious Tent

Or for one in your price range the
Kelty Teton 2 Looks a lot like the Cabela's set-up, but a bit lighter as well.

mttgilbert
HAZopelli
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Jun 18 2007 9:01 pm

I'm pretty much with Matt and Tim on this one. The Sirius is a good tent. I would stay away from "budget" tents. If you plan on really using the tent go for the most expensive one you can afford. The extra cost not just on brand name. I've been really happy with my Marmot Eos (one person), I've also really liked my various mountain hardwear tents (one and two person), all the cheap tents I've had have gotten trashed inside of a season. You get what you pay for, but your budget is reasonable enough you should be able to get a decent tent for that and the sirius just might fit the bill. If the hybrid single/double wall doesn't do it for you then check out the REI halfdome (159.00) a little more pricey and a little heavier but a good tent none-the-less.

If nothing else, skip a tent altogether, you can get by for 3/4ths of the year with just a tarp and a sleeping bag (or a bag and a bivy). It takes some getting used to but you can't beat the weight savings!

Of course, I should point out that I am biased (and somewhat spoiled) since I work for REI...
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli

Post by Hoffmaster » Jun 18 2007 10:10 pm

davis2001r6 wrote:Dang it Matt you beet me to it. I was going to suggest the Sirious tent as well.
Sorry Tim. I'm a bit quick on the trigger when it comes to reccomending tents! :D
davis2001r6 wrote: About a 1/2 lb lighter as well. I was never a big fan of the vestibule set up though, but never actually seen one in use to see how well it works.
Yeah, the vestibules are a little small, but this is the desert so I can live with that. For the price, you just can't beat the weight. Also, the mesh walls are awesome on warmer nights.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli

Post by davis2001r6 » Jun 18 2007 11:14 pm

The Sirious 3 tents is 41 sq ft and weighs in the 5lb range. That would be a two person, plus all your gear inside tent. I want a a reason to buy, but never have 2 people in a tent. Hmm maybe my car camping tent?

Just another option to think about, but I think it's in the $160 range. REI is having a 4th of July clearance sale starting in a few days, you may get lucky and time a sale right.

no avatar
braknstuf
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, az

Post by braknstuf » Jun 19 2007 11:27 am

I found this site http://www.outdooroutlet.com/shopping.p ... cts&cat=31 that has some tents at a reasonable rate - not sure about the 2nds stuff though. Ive used a kelty riverbend 2 tent and couldnt be happier. The dome or mesa looks like it might fit the bill.
Eric

Grasshopper
Detailapelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Jun 19 2007 4:02 pm

I was just looking at the specs for the Kelty Teton 2. Kelty means quality and this one fits in your budget too at ~120. It is a 3 season, 2 person lightwt at 4+lbs,40+sf and seam sealed! I just don't understand why they decided to leave most of 2 of 4 sides of the vestuble/rainfly not covering those 2 tent sides in total??... probably due to trying to save weight I would guess. Anyway, in my opinoin, this Teton 2 would also be a great, light easy to set-up backpacking tent.. and.. it will LAST YOU A WHILE before you will need to buy another.
Regards,
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli

Post by Hoffmaster » Jun 19 2007 4:12 pm

Grasshopper wrote:I was just looking at the specs for the Kelty Teton 2. I just don't understand why they decided to leave most of 2 of 4 sides of the vestuble/rainfly not covering those 2 tent sides in total??
This tent appears similar to the Sierra Designs Sirius that we were discussing above. I believe that the areas not covered by the rainfly are waterproof, single-wall technology. And yes, the reason is to save weight.

Grasshopper
Detailapelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Jun 19 2007 7:51 pm

I looked at the Kelty Teton 2 specs again: floor space is 31sf and not 40sf and YES.. it says "waterproof wall construction" for tent.. I have never owned a 2 door backpacking tent like the Sierra Designs-Serius.. what is the advantage of having two doors (and just another door zipper to bust) IF you hardly ever plan to sleep with two in the tent? Just curious...
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

corlukan
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Yuma

Post by corlukan » Jun 19 2007 8:13 pm

Hey, appreciate all the suggestions. Your posts were exactly the kind of info. I was looking for.

Cory

mttgilbert
HAZopelli
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Jun 19 2007 9:12 pm

Grasshopper wrote: what is the advantage of having two doors (and just another door zipper to bust) IF you hardly ever plan to sleep with two in the tent? Just curious...
No advantage unless you have two people. But, if you alternate doors you would wear out zippers half as fast... Or if you only used one door until the zipper broke you could just sew up the zipper and use the other one.
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Jun 19 2007 9:27 pm

the advantage of 2 doors is if you want to store gear under a vestibule without tripping over it on your nocturnal "potty break". Its nice to have a separate place and a zipper to access the stuff.
Plus, an escape route should you need one! :o

Hoffmaster
Bum Climbin' Kokopelli

Post by Hoffmaster » Jun 19 2007 10:45 pm

Grasshopper wrote:what is the advantage of having two doors (and just another door zipper to bust) IF you hardly ever plan to sleep with two in the tent? Just curious...
Yeah, what Matt Gilbert said. Besides, who would buy and lug around a 2 person tent if they didn't plan on having 2 people inside of it? :-k When I backpack without my girlfriend, I bring my 1 person tent for sure. But if we're together and one of us needs to get up in the middle of night, it's nice to not have to crawl over the other person to get out of the tent.

davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli

Post by davis2001r6 » Jun 20 2007 5:36 am

Besides, who would buy and lug around a 2 person tent if they didn't plan on having 2 people inside of it?
I'm guilty then! I love bringing my 2 person everywhere, at just a few ounces more than my 1 person set-up I have room for everything.

kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Apr 17 2010 10:58 pm

I saw a 2 person Coleman Max for $80 at Walmart. Sleeps 2 and weighs a little over 5lbs. Too heavy?
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

fairweather8588
Jeep Bustin' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by fairweather8588 » Apr 18 2010 1:01 am

Over 5? yep, nowadays it's pretty easy to find one in the 4 lb range which after a day of hiking will make a noticeable difference. A tent isn't a good place to mix a name like coleman with if you are going to put it to a decent amount of use, go ahead and spend the 150-300 and buy yourself a nice little house

http://www.rei.com/product/791634
http://www.rei.com/product/761893
http://www.rei.com/product/764475
No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac

Return to “Shelter, Bags & Camp”