Tents, tarps, sleeping bags & general campsite gear

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
aa7jc
City, State: Sierra Vista, AZ

Sleeping bag repair

Post by aa7jc » May 08 2009 1:30 pm

My zipper caught the fabric on my WM highlight bag on the last trip and ended up tearing a very small hole. :(
What would be the sensible repair for this.. Sew a patch over it? That would be a bit hard but maybe with one of those U shaped needles I could do that.. Would there be any better options?

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Re: Sleeping bag repair

Post by te_wa » May 08 2009 1:35 pm

mcnetts seam grip
:D

fairweather8588
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by fairweather8588 » May 08 2009 3:30 pm

With a WM bag I might give the company a jingle (good customer service, last time I heard the sewing machines running in the background) and see what they recommend for a repair. te-wa's suggestion is a good one though
No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac

aa7jc
City, State: Sierra Vista, AZ

Post by aa7jc » May 11 2009 5:09 am

Thanks.. mcnett did the trick.. talk about easy!

oldmanonthetrail
City, State: toronto

Post by oldmanonthetrail » Dec 14 2017 10:50 pm

I have an idea I would like some help with if possible. Here goes..... I have a standard EE quilt and a Thermarest xtherm that I would like to mate together with velcro or zippers??
Is it possible ? Is there a glue out there that won't eat through the air pad and retain its strength enough to deal with repeated use. Ideally I would like zippers that open at the foot and up the sides .
Sewing the zipper to the quilt should be no problem.. Any ideas? I would love to have a draft free quilt system that would also help with heat retention
Thanks Dave

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 15 2017 7:33 am

Why not just use a sleeping bag for those times when it is too cold for a quilt? I use my sleeping bag like a quilt 90% of the time, but sure am glad for that zipper when I need it. I know, I should buy a quilt, too, but they are expensive.

Anything with ANY kind of glue is likely to fail, in my opinion. When opening and closing zippers you are using a lot of force, which would likely just rip the zipper away from the Thermarest pretty quickly.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Dec 15 2017 11:24 am

oldmanonthetrail wrote:
Dec 14 2017 10:50 pm
I have an idea I would like some help with if possible. Here goes..... I have a standard EE quilt and a Thermarest xtherm that I would like to mate together with velcro or zippers??
Is it possible ? Is there a glue out there that won't eat through the air pad and retain its strength enough to deal with repeated use. Ideally I would like zippers that open at the foot and up the sides .
Sewing the zipper to the quilt should be no problem.. Any ideas? I would love to have a draft free quilt system that would also help with heat retention
Thanks Dave
If you can find some of the earlier (w/toluene - yellow label/can/tube) Barge cement, I think that would secure Velcro to the pad.
kurt

oldmanonthetrail

Post by oldmanonthetrail » Dec 15 2017 1:29 pm

Thanks guys I'm liking the velcro option more and more. probably lighter too. I think I will try contacting Thermarest to see what they would recommend., just in case....
azbackpackr wrote:Why not just use a sleeping bag for those times when it is too cold for a quilt? I use my sleeping bag like a quilt 90% of the time, but sure am glad for that zipper when I need it. I know, I should buy a quilt, too, but they are expensive.

I really love my quilt set up, I'm a very restless side sleeper who always winds up on the ground or wrapped up.

no avatar
trailwanderer

Post by trailwanderer » Jan 22 2018 4:21 am

Did you ever hear from Thermarest or find a solution? Just interested if this is even possible.

oldmanonthetrail

Post by oldmanonthetrail » Jan 22 2018 6:24 am

Heres a video I took so you can see how I did it. Any tips or comments are always appreciated
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP ... iz99OXlI-r
Cheers Dave

Return to “Shelter, Bags & Camp”