Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
dysfunction
Tutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Belly sleep in a hammock?

Post by dysfunction » Nov 02 2009 9:12 pm

Can you belly sleep in a hammock? I ain't a backsleeper.
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Re: Belly sleep in a hammock?

Post by te_wa » Nov 02 2009 9:27 pm

mike, i cant sleep on my back on my $1200 home mattress but found it easy in my hammocks. fwiw, it supports my body on a weird 2/3rds position, whereas im on my side and back.
and i can sleep in the 'mock on my side, legs stretched straight or pulled up slightly to fetal style.. i prefer on my stomach at home, due to deviated septum but the hammock figures it out for me.. i dont ask why, it just works.

let me know what model youre interested in. or come on one of our group hikes and try a hammock for yourself.
there just aint nothing better than stargazing from your hammock, listening to Plastic Surgery Disasters on the ol' iPod
Last edited by te_wa on Nov 02 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:D

dysfunction
Tutin' Kokopelli

Post by dysfunction » Nov 02 2009 9:47 pm

I'd happily drag my tarp along on a group hang and check things out... and yea. my septum takes a nasty turn too.
mike

oceanwithin
Kellipelli
City, State: AZ

Post by oceanwithin » Nov 04 2009 2:33 pm

belly sleeping in a hammock? I don't recommend it. I had an "incident" a few months ago while sleeping in my hammock -- during the middle of the night, I woke up and decided to roll over because the full moon was really bright -- and proceeded to roll straight on over into thin air, landing on the ground with a loud surprised THUMP. my butt was bruised for 2 weeks and my friends still tease me about it, since I had given them the classic "tents are for sissies" speech around the campfire that night ;)

This kind of a set-up, with the separator in the middle, might make side & belly-sleeping a bit more feasable... http://www.junglehammock.com/models/vertex/index.php

dysfunction
Tutin' Kokopelli

Post by dysfunction » Nov 04 2009 4:24 pm

wow, 4lbs... that's a whole lot too much weight for me :(
mike

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Nov 04 2009 4:37 pm

the hammock of today is the Warbonnet Blackbird made in different weights depending on your weight.. i use a single layer 1.1 ripstop nylon.* full bug netting, full zipper, full structural ridgeline. I converted the (very good) webbing/ring suspension to an even better Whoopie Sling suspension and the total weight is now 19 ounces. this pic is me sleeping on my back ( :o ) at Kendrick Peak.
15029-8444_1247573391-24.jpg
do you see that big lump at the foot area of the hammock? that's the built in "footbox" that will let you lay flatter. the hammock also has a shelf inside so you dont have to reach out for water, books, headlamp, shoes, whatever. its about 2 square feet.

the netting is flipped over the top of the hammock and under me is the product i make, a 2" loft goose down underquilt. tarp is a MacCat standard in spinnaker. guy inside is awesome.

*comes in 1.1 single, 1.1 double (pad sleeve), 1.7 single, or 1.7 double.

BobP
Cairn Reaper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Nov 04 2009 4:53 pm

One thing I noticed...both times camping with you. You always look comfy when you sleep. :) I've bid on 5 hammocks and always get outbid(but then again I'm cheap).
http://www.blindmotivation.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.seeitourway.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

dysfunction
Tutin' Kokopelli

Post by dysfunction » Nov 04 2009 5:02 pm

In response to te-wa:
Cool, I don't mind going up a bit in weight, and I figured if your subness would bother carrying one.. they weren't all in that range :sl:
mike

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Nov 04 2009 5:12 pm

lets see, if i recall the weights are as follows.
warbonnet 1.1: 19oz
te-wa underquilt: 13oz
maccat standard: 11.8oz
te-wa topquilt: 12.4oz
pad for lower legs: 3oz
thats roughly 3.7 pounds :D
that rivals even the most ultralight coffins.. and you can situp, cook dinner, pitch and tear down under the protection of your tarp. this winter im rigged up to go down to the single digits in a hammock all for the weight of one two-man freestanding tent.
my old setup, even tho ultralight, was a BA insul. air core pad, a tarptent contrail, a western mountaineering ultralite, and a small pillow.
but getting a really good night's sleep is hands down the best thing ever. there is no need to wake up sore from sleeping on a little crappy pad like some of these ultralighters do. the days of tossing are over.

Bob, you can get a Grand Trunk Ultralight for $20-30. its what i started with, and its roomy enough to really get into the flattest lay.
add a equinox 8x10 sil tarp from campmor and for $90 you're hanging.
i'll even do the favor of turning you on to the whoopie sling, and ditch the stock ropes found on the otherwise great Ultralight hammock.
http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Hammock-Ul ... 140&sr=8-1 btw, the last photo in the zoom section is MY hammock, on the Randolf Canyon loop. thanks to John of grand trunk for posting this. (there ARE trees in the supes, and once you learn to "see" them, you'll be fine)
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20069
http://cgi.ebay.com/Amsteel-Whoopie-Sli ... 19b786a669

you can use a pad in a hammock. right now w/ our winter coming i would suggest something wide, like the large size Clearview, only partially inflated. or, get some te-wa powered underquilts!

Return to “Shelter, Bags & Camp”