Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
BlueFrog
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa,Az

Looking For My First Hammock

Post by BlueFrog » Mar 27 2011 1:16 pm

Hi all, Its been a while since ive actually posted anything but i thought maybe the nice folks on here could help out. I am looking to get my first hammock soon and am looking for something used in decent condition. i have been checking craigslist but there are very few if any on there. My question to you all is, Does anyone here have an old setup for sale or possibly someone that bought a hammock and deciced it wasnt for them. Or possibly know where i could look for a decent deal?? I am 6'2 175lbs. Any Info would be helpful Thanx

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Re: Looking For My First Hammock

Post by te_wa » Mar 27 2011 4:13 pm

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/foru ... y.php?f=28

you can spend days here finding how to improve your camping skillz, the link is for the For Sale items only.
:D

Sarae
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Sarae » Mar 28 2011 4:16 pm

BlueFrog wrote:Hi all, Its been a while since ive actually posted anything but i thought maybe the nice folks on here could help out. I am looking to get my first hammock soon and am looking for something used in decent condition. i have been checking craigslist but there are very few if any on there. My question to you all is, Does anyone here have an old setup for sale or possibly someone that bought a hammock and deciced it wasnt for them. Or possibly know where i could look for a decent deal?? I am 6'2 175lbs. Any Info would be helpful Thanx
I have a used, but still in good shape, 1.7 single layer Warbonnet Blackbird with adjustable webbing suspension that I have been thinking of selling. Here is the website with its specs ( dead link removed ). I also have an OES MacCat Deluxe in gray silnylon I'd be willing to sell. Send me a PM if interested. Nothing wrong with either item, I've just upgraded to lighter gear :D
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Mar 28 2011 6:20 pm

rae-rae wrote:I've just upgraded to lighter gear
do tell.. did you get the traveler and a cuben tarp?

Sarae
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Sarae » Mar 28 2011 8:31 pm

@te-wa
I've had the traveler for a while now and a cuben tarp is in the works from mld, but for now I have a macCat standard. 'Tis good. :)
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Mar 28 2011 9:03 pm

cuben tarps are fun. my zpacks version is 8oz with mad tie-outs and seam sealing, and 6 ti skewers.

an 11' by 8.8' tarp.. 6 ounces. are you reading this, BlueFrog? :y:

dont forget to read this, if you haven't: http://hikearizona.com/article.php?ID=30

BlueFrog
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa,Az

Post by BlueFrog » Mar 29 2011 8:23 am

rae rae PM sent. Thank u all for your input. hopefully if all goes well i will be testing out a new shelter in a couple of weeks(possibly rae rae's warbonnet or possibly a homemade model). I was thinkin about doing a solo 1 or 2 night trip out to reavis ranch and circlestone. And possibly make a trip over to angel basin and the ruins. if anyone is up to join, the more the merrier!

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Mar 29 2011 9:29 am

the Warbonnet Blackbird is a great hammock. the fact that it would take weeks to get one to your door is a reflection of its popularity. the 1.7 is backordered, and you are a lucky lucky fool to have one offered for sale here. if Rae-Rae were to list this on HammockForums, it would sell in 4 minutes, or less, no exaggeration.

if you have any questions on how to pitch it, or want some ideas on how to stay warm in it, ask. i make underquilts and top quilts designed for hammock camping.
any of the cottage gear makers who specialize in UQ's and such are worthy, an underquilt is bar none better than pads or other means. check out the solution: ( dead link removed )
Last edited by joebartels on Aug 27 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 20 2013 11:10 am

On a Facebook contest I recently won a Hennessy Deluxe Explorer A-sym. They cost over $200. This hammock is not SUL, but is well-constructed. It weighs about 3 pounds in fact, so is the same as my solo free-standing tent. I just now set it up in my backyard, and I think maybe I will be able to sleep in it, so I'm going to give it a try, maybe tonight (unless we have another huge thunderstorm!) In fact, when I got inside and got myself situated, as a friend had showed me, at a slight angle to the hammock, I found I was lying quite flat. I actually got to chuckling, because it was so comfy! It has a handy netting pouch and a couple of hooks, so that you can hook up a water bottle, and put your flashlite and lipbalm, etc., into the pouch--all the things I need at night.

It's all one piece, and with the directions it is very easy to set up between two trees (red apple and pear, in this case.) The directions are helpfully on the stuff sack in large print.

I think I can get some very good use out of it in these types of trips: mountain bike camping with a BOB trailer, multiday kayaking and rafting, car camping, and short weekend backpacking trips where weight is not a huge issue.

Now I need to get with Te-wa about an underquilt! I'll have to start out with my sleeping bag. I notice the Hennessy company sells some sort of insulation padding for cold weather as well. I have a huge roll of very thin Ensolite, so I'll just make one.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

beterarcher
Redneckapelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher » Jul 27 2013 7:44 am

@azbackpackr
You should get a couple of climbing cams to use for hanging it if you're short on trees in a canyon or against cliffs
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 28 2013 5:57 am

I was going to try it out on this weekend's road trip to New Mexico, but spent the first night huddled in a tent at Valley of Fires in a big thunderstorm. I could have set it up but the two best tie-offs were between a tree and a metal ramada post. It occurred to me that tying myself to a metal post during a t-storm would put me in the running for the Darwin award. Then, last night, at my niece's farm it seemed easier to just sleep on the futon she offered, although she has 49 pecan trees. Maybe I will just have to set it up in my backyard if I really want to sleep in it. I'm driving home today.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Shelter, Bags & Camp”