Tents, tarps, sleeping bags & general campsite gear

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
supai
City, State: Mesa, AZ

What is your Favorite sleeping pad

Post by supai » Mar 29 2011 5:27 pm

Wow the last post about sleeping pads took me back to 2002 and some people I have never seen before. I am just wondering besides all of you hammock campers what everyone likes to use I am debating betweeen an Anges air core or a therm a rest trail lite pad anybody have experience with either. I have been using a thermarest base camp size lg pad for years now and at 3 lbs 8 oz I could use a lighter pad. Backpacker Mag seems to like the Big Agnes more what are your thoughts?

Thoreau
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: What is your Favorite sleeping pad

Post by Thoreau » Apr 01 2011 9:29 am

I flip flop between two, depending on if I'm car camping of backpacking.

For times when I don't care about the bulk or weight at all, it's a three year old Thermarest ProLite Plus (24oz.) It was the first pad I ever bought and it's been rock solid so far. Sucks for side-sleeping though, as I think pretty much all of the Thermarests do.

Picked up the non-plus version of the same pad about a year ago when I was on a bit of an ultralight binge. 16 ounces is hard to argue with though, especially when the much pricier NeoAir is only a couple ounces away from that (both of my pads are 'regular' size.)

Throw in another ounce or two though for the mini repair kit that I carry for the pads, but have yet to ever need/use (knock on wood.)

Neither one is gonna win any comfort awards from me, but they still beat the crap out of the cold ground (as long as it's not TOO cold.) I've also added a space blanket to my standard gear list which some reports suggest using as a ground cloth to help radiate heat back up to ya. That might get tested out later this year when things get cold again.

To be honest, I'd probably go with the NeoAir if I had to ever replace one of my pads though. Probably the shorter version too and do the backpack-for-a-foot-rest trick that others do. *imagines the base weight of my backpack getting lighter* *drool*

I might pick up a full blown air mattress for car camping some day too, but for backpacking, I'll usually still take weight savings over comfort. Gotta do something to offset the 5-10 lbs of camera gear I always take. =)

GrottoGirl
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by GrottoGirl » Apr 07 2011 8:56 pm

I just have to chime in on this topic - I know I'm a bit late....

I love my Thermarest Neoair. I would not go backpacking without it! I used to spend many miserable nights awake with hip aches because of the pressure with my regular Thermarest. Now I spend many nights awake being thankful that I'm not uncomfortable. I average about one trip a month.
Dave1 wrote: I'd say the Neo Air is only good to about 35 degrees.
I've had my neoair down to 19 degrees with a 0 degree down sleeping bag, small fleece blanket, and a hot water bottle and I was not miserable. FYI, I'm a very cold sleeper.

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Apr 12 2011 5:01 pm

Now this thread has me thinking. Backpack trip this weekend... some spending money... a new sleeping pad...
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Apr 12 2011 7:01 pm

I liked the Teddy Roosevelt bedsprings in Echo Camp myself...
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

kevinweitzel75

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Apr 13 2011 9:36 pm

Spent most the night reading all the reviews on the Neo Airs. Most cons are leaks. :( Not a big fan of leaks. Maybe the Pro Lite Plus is more my type. Then I could also pick up the MSR Pocket Rocket with the extra cash. :D
Robert Frost

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Apr 13 2011 9:57 pm

PageRob wrote:I liked the Teddy Roosevelt bedsprings in Echo Camp myself...
While a USFS coordinator with the Friends of Reavis I used to sleep on the old bedsprings in the Reavis Ranch House. To keep from feeling the springs I used a piece of old carpet as a mattress cover. One night I had the bed in a corner of the main room underneath a hole in the ceiling to the upper loft and a ringtailed cat jumped down on top of me. I think he was more suprised than I and especially when I backhanded him off onto the floor. He was always more leary of me after that .... :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Apr 13 2011 10:35 pm

"I just wanted to let you know,I'm the Arizona 'State Mammal'" - ringtail cat
:D

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 14 2011 4:38 am

A friend of mine had one of those things walk across his face and down into his sleeping bag. It smelled the M n M's he had in his pocket.

And just think, they are not even feral (nor are they actually CATS, for that matter!)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

kevinweitzel75

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Apr 15 2011 9:50 pm

I picked up the Therm-a-rest Pro Light Plus and spent the rest of my money on a Snow Peak Gigapower stove. Couldn't find the Pocket Rocket. Damn, my pack is suposse to be getting lighter, not the case. :doh: Tough to choose between light weight or comfort with a limited money supply.
Robert Frost

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Dec 01 2013 10:49 am

Anything new improved and lighter. Looking to upgrade and since I sleep on the ground sans tent at times I prefer something in earth tone colors. Don't want the critters thinking I am hoarding a big bag of cheeto's
jk

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Dec 01 2013 11:46 am

uninsulated, so i imagine only good down to temps above 40 ~ ymmv

http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/air-beam-sleepers.html
:D

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 01 2013 7:59 pm

Don't smoke in bed. The sleeping bag you burn could be your wife...
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 01 2013 9:43 pm

Nighthiker wrote:Anything new improved and lighter. Looking to upgrade and since I sleep on the ground sans tent at times I prefer something in earth tone colors. Don't want the critters thinking I am hoarding a big bag of cheeto's
I've been using a Thermarest NeoAir Xlite, but it's cheetos-colored. I use my tent as a groundcloth, so I can set it up in a hurry if the weather changes. I'm nearly hooked on cowboy camping.

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Dec 01 2013 10:20 pm

big_load wrote:I've been using a Thermarest NeoAir Xlite, but it's cheetos-colored. I use my tent as a groundcloth, so I can set it up in a hurry if the weather changes. I'm nearly hooked on cowboy camping.
Tent and cowboy camping? Somehow those words don't seem to usually belong in the same sentence. Unless the weather is bad or it's some sort of Brokeback Mountain kind of thing. :scared:
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Dec 01 2013 10:22 pm

big_load wrote:I've been using a Thermarest NeoAir Xlite, but it's cheetos-colored. I use my tent as a groundcloth, so I can set it up in a hurry if the weather changes. I'm nearly hooked on cowboy camping.
Tent and cowboy camping? OK - you use it as a groundcloth.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 02 2013 6:07 am

I use one of those Cheetos-colored NeoAir super short Xlite doobie doo-wah doo things. They are not as comfortable as a regular Thermarest, though. But super light, roll up to the size of a big can of beer.

Nobody laughed at my sleeping bag joke. :cry:

bsiehr
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by bsiehr » Dec 02 2013 1:13 pm

As a side sleeper I bought a Neo air and I hated it. Returned it and bought the BA insulated q core pad. Possible 3 in of inflation! :zzz: I love it! It is a bit squeaky but it doesn't bother the partner so it makes both of us happy!

There is one on sale at geartrade right now...

kevinweitzel75

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Dec 03 2013 7:52 pm

Side sleeper myself and sold my new thermarest pro lite and bought the Big Anges insulated air pad. Best one yet.
Robert Frost

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 03 2013 8:04 pm

kevinweitzel75 wrote:Side sleeper myself and sold my new thermarest pro lite and bought the Big Anges insulated air pad. Best one yet.
Have heard good things about that one!

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 03 2013 8:25 pm

azbackpackr wrote:
kevinweitzel75 wrote:Side sleeper myself and sold my new thermarest pro lite and bought the Big Anges insulated air pad. Best one yet.
Have heard good things about that one!
That's what I used to use before I switched to the NeoAir Xlite. (I'm a side sleeper, too. I'd probably die if I slept on my back).

Return to “Shelter, Bags & Camp”