Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
OZZZ
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Alright FINE ..... I think I need some advice .....lol

Post by OZZZ » Jul 11 2011 8:50 pm

I just moved to Flagstaff about 2 weeks ago and am loving it here.

Im usually a pretty good researcher and to be honest, pride myself on it but I gotta tell ya .... trying to shop for backpacking gear is really starting to make my head spin and I think I need some advice before I end up making any more purchases that end up not being what I need :o

So this is the equipment Ive purchased so far. Most of the time Ill be up here in high elevations, but will be using this stuff everywhere, lower elevations and even the desert if possible. From what Ive read, it sounds like if you want to be out during winter, its probably best to have two sets of gear. So for this first set Im looking to 3 season equipment.

1. A slumberjack 2 tent. This was my first purchase and admittedly a misinformed purchase. The tent weighs just under 7 lbs and I now realize thats pretty dam heavy. Whats more, I paid $69 for it and thanks to the threads here I see many tents for under $100 that weigh half the weight. I did set it up in a thunderstorm the other night and it worked well. I do like that it has enough room for my GF and I, and a decent sized dog as well. What do you guys think? Scrap it and buy a lighter version or suck it up and pack the 7 lbs around?

2. I found a coleman exponent canyon mummy 32 degree bag on craigslist for $50. I did a couple quick searches and it seems like a good bag. Weighing at just over 2 lbs and being rated well. My first search showed a sales price of $189, the second for $169 so I figured at $50 thats a buy! I go buy it, get home and immediately find one brand new online for $59. Grrreeeeaaat. I still need another bag though, so I wouldnt mind any input on this bag. I might just buy a new one for $59. Im not sure about the $150+++ bags and/or if I want to drop the cash right now.

3. I bought a snow peak trekker kit that consists of the gigapower stove, the snow peak titanium 1400 cookset, and a windshield. Heres the link: http://www.campsaver.com/trekker-kit

So, I wouldnt mind any input on these items and whether or not I should ditch them or keep em. I think Im happy with the cook set, and the sleeping bag as well other then the fact I got burnt on price. The tent is fine but its heavy.

Also I need advise on footwear, and packs as well. Would rather have a boot of some sort or a taller type shoe I believe. Definitely not interested in sandals.

Thanks in advance. Ill still be reading and researching.... but if someone could point me in the right direction Ild be greatful. Price is an issue, but I can spend the dough if its one of those make or break items. I think on most Items Im looking for the standout price/performance winner in each category..... regardless of what that price might be.
Its never to late to be what you might have been

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Alright FINE ..... I think I need some advice .....lol

Post by nonot » Aug 09 2011 7:42 pm

FYI - if you bought the pack from a store like REI, have the backpack folks do your pack adjustment for you - having a properly adjusted pack will help quite a bit.

If you don't need the tent right away - they do go on sale occasionally. Unfortunately you are buying at the season's peak so not much is on sale right now.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Aug 09 2011 8:04 pm

no worries, it just sounds like a common response - tent fabric provides some false sense of security. I was looking at this chart today: http://www.edarnell.com/Stats.htm since i went on a mission to research bear attack/encounter dangers..
did you know how many fatal bear attacks have occured this year? 1 total so far, 8 1/2 months into '11
did you know how many fatal dog attacks have occured this year? 17
:D

OZZZ
Lil' Kokopelli

Post by OZZZ » Aug 10 2011 12:01 pm

Preaching to the choir my friend. I'm not worried about it at all. In an attempt to ease her worries i did some research about a week ago, it sounded like there are only two fatal bear attacks previous to this year ....ever anyway. Also, shes not THAT bent out of shape about it. The whole bear things is getting a bit blown out of proportion - she's still fine with camping, she just wants to be in a tent instead of a hammock - so i bought a tent lol.

Thanks for all the gear suggestions everyone, its really helped give me the resources I need to make my decisions!

writelots
Wendipelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Aug 10 2011 3:48 pm

One really great way to check out different techniques and gear is to head out with a group... the Arizona Backpacking Club http://www.meetup.com/Arizona-Backpacking/ is an awesome group, and we have some great hikes coming up this midsummer and fall... Just a suggestion!
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Aug 10 2011 5:24 pm

a great way to get more info on any type of gear (focus is on lightweight) is to visit the http://www.backpackinglight.com site. that's where the Pro's live.
:D

OZZZ
Lil' Kokopelli

Post by OZZZ » Aug 10 2011 5:41 pm

Awsome! Thanks for both those links ill be sure to check them both out thouroughly.

Azbackcountry
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Az

Post by Azbackcountry » Aug 10 2011 6:22 pm

writelots wrote:One really great way to check out different techniques and gear is to head out with a group... the Arizona Backpacking Club http://www.meetup.com/Arizona-Backpacking/ is an awesome group, and we have some great hikes coming up this midsummer and fall... Just a suggestion!

You can check that group out all you want, but I found that they are quite a group of snobs. If they don't know you, and doesn't appear they will like you from your pictures, any trips you sign up for they will go ahead and remove you from. They pick and choose who they let join their trips, it has happened to me and I have seen it happen to other ppl. I don't bother with that group, yet I still look at their site just to get an idea for trips I would like to do myself.

Just my $.02.....

Trishness
Tutin' Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Aug 10 2011 7:12 pm

Ozzzzz,

Great choice on the Big Agnes sleeping pad. You'll love it.
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

OZZZ
Lil' Kokopelli

Post by OZZZ » Aug 10 2011 8:55 pm

Trishness .... I hope so. Its heavier then I like and I really struggled with purchasing it based on weight, but it is rather comfortable so I figured Ild give it a shot. Ive read a lot of reviews though of them (and the neo air) leaking on people though so Im not sure what to expect.

AZbackcountry - Sorry to hear that. Ive learned never to make assumptions though so Ill probably still look into it. If they end up not "liking" me its not that big of a deal (after all its a group of people I dont know lol). Never know till you try... but I do appreciate the heads up in case it turns out that way.

This thread has really helped me out a ton. Theres tons of links which Ive already been checking out and some great info. Tons more to read and Ill definately be looking to get out with a group. Linds and I havent met too many people out here anyway so it will be good on many different levels.

Thanks again everyone!

Return to “Shelter, Bags & Camp”