Tents, tarps, sleeping bags & general campsite gear

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Value sleeping bags

Post by hippiepunkpirate »

I'm looking for a 15-20 degree bag that is relatively lightweight but is in the cheap range ($150). I'm about 6'2" so I need a tall. The best choice I have so far is the Kelty Cosmic 20 down which is running $110 for the tall at campmor.com right now. Anyone have any other recommendations?
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply
hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Value sleeping bags

Post by hikeaz »

If you can find one of the newer REI "halo" bags on craigslist or on sale, they are a pretty good value and the temp rating on the Halo line is accurate (a big problem with most manufacturers). I think that they are 750 fill, too... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... true&rt=nc
In REI's current line up, REI seems to have discontinued the halo 10 degree and halo 20 degree versions in favor of a 37-ish degree (likely equal to most value bag's 30 degree rating). their sub-kilo bag is also decent although the sub-kilo's temp ratings are more along the lines of most manufacturers.

If you DO go with the kelty, you might check out Altrec: http://www.altrec.com/kelty/cosmic-20-d ... erralID=NA or Sunny: http://www.sunnysports.com/prod/KLTBCS2 ... TBCS20LGPB

Another option.... http://www.geartrade.com/item/165382/so ... -cliffgray
Last edited by hikeaz on Jul 09 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield »

I don't think I paid much more for my REI sub-kilo.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.
hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz »

This is a long and appears a very good value. http://www.geartrade.com/item/268639/ma ... -widel-zip
Marmot Sawtooth 15 Degree Sleeping Bag

Certified 600+ Fill Power Goose Down
EN Tested
Down-filled Collar with Easy Access Draw Cord

Materials: 100% Nylon Ripstop AC 1.3 oz/yd, 100% Nylon WR 1.4 oz/yd, Lining: 100% Polyester Dobby WR 2.2 oz/yd, Insulation: 600+ Fill Power Goose Down

The SPECS for Long
Size: 6'6"
Weight: 3 lbs 4 oz / 1474 g
Fill Weight: 24 oz / 680 g
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 »

I have the Kelty Lightyear 20° down bag. I think I paid around $150 for it. Nice bag, but wish it compressed to a smaller size. Right mow its about the size of a small watermelon.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost
writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots »

Personally, I've never been happy with Kelty's - and I've had several friends who share my sentiments. However, others swear by them. I suppose I've always slept cold, though.
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama
hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate »

The North Face Cat's Meow 20 looks alright (similar to the Kelty Lightyear). However it looks like I'll be putting this purchase on hold as I think I'm going on a few creek overnights in the next couple months and will need to get a drybag for my camera gear and probably a real tent.
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply
base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 »

writelots wrote:Personally, I've never been happy with Kelty's - and I've had several friends who share my sentiments. However, others swear by them. I suppose I've always slept cold, though.
True. I had a kelty 15 bag and I was freezing at around 35-40 degrees. I did score a big agnus 15 at one of the rei garage sales for about 20 bucks. Its pretty warm. Its also a womans sleeping bag as it has some pink in it but I dont mind.

It shows off my feminine side :?
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson
te_wa
City, State: Mesa

Post by te_wa »

cheap
heavy
bulky

choose any two.

check http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sleeping-bags~d~208/2/ for bargain stuff.
squirrel!
azfatboy
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by azfatboy »

hippiepunkpirate wrote:I'm looking for a 15-20 degree bag that is relatively lightweight but is in the cheap range ($150). I'm about 6'2" so I need a tall. The best choice I have so far is the Kelty Cosmic 20 down which is running $110 for the tall at campmor.com right now. Anyone have any other recommendations?
Like the poster above me mentioned, STP has some really good options if you need a good value.

I was looking for a more expensive bag, and at $110+, was not even considering the Kelty Cosmic Down 20. But, STP has them on sale for $95 right now, and with the 30% coupon that is floating around, I was able to score that bag for $66 ! Not the greatest bag, but for that price, I just couldn't justify anything else!
kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 »

I have the Kelty Light Year. 20° down. Its a little bulky and just a little on the heavy side, just under 3 1/2 pounds, but I love this bag. Never slept a cold night in it. I think I paid around $130 for it a couple years ago.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost
SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs »

It's not the greatest, but it will do in a pinch. Keep an eye on the ads from Big 5. Picked up some 20 degree bags to outfit me and my kids for scouting trips for around $35 a bag a couple of years ago. They usually run them on sale a few times a year, especially in the spring. Put them to the test a couple of times when I lived in Idaho. Usually sleep a little cold as well, so with long underwear, a cap and socks I made it through the night.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer
imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike »

If cost is a major factor, SportsmansGuide.com has great deals... I like the military combos, complete with bivy bags.
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

Return to “Shelter, Bags & Camp”