Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
hippiepunkpirate
Chameleon Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Value sleeping bags

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Jul 09 2012 10:11 am

I'm looking for a 15-20 degree bag that is relatively lightweight but is in the cheap range ($150). I'm about 6'2" so I need a tall. The best choice I have so far is the Kelty Cosmic 20 down which is running $110 for the tall at campmor.com right now. Anyone have any other recommendations?
Personal website: Mountain Tripper

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Value sleeping bags

Post by hikeaz » Jul 09 2012 11:42 am

If you can find one of the newer REI "halo" bags on craigslist or on sale, they are a pretty good value and the temp rating on the Halo line is accurate (a big problem with most manufacturers). I think that they are 750 fill, too... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... true&rt=nc
In REI's current line up, REI seems to have discontinued the halo 10 degree and halo 20 degree versions in favor of a 37-ish degree (likely equal to most value bag's 30 degree rating). their sub-kilo bag is also decent although the sub-kilo's temp ratings are more along the lines of most manufacturers.

If you DO go with the kelty, you might check out Altrec: http://www.altrec.com/kelty/cosmic-20-d ... erralID=NA or Sunny: http://www.sunnysports.com/prod/KLTBCS2 ... TBCS20LGPB

Another option.... http://www.geartrade.com/item/165382/so ... -cliffgray
Last edited by hikeaz on Jul 09 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kurt

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jul 09 2012 12:43 pm

I don't think I paid much more for my REI sub-kilo.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jul 10 2012 7:43 am

This is a long and appears a very good value. http://www.geartrade.com/item/268639/ma ... -widel-zip
Marmot Sawtooth 15 Degree Sleeping Bag

Certified 600+ Fill Power Goose Down
EN Tested
Down-filled Collar with Easy Access Draw Cord

Materials: 100% Nylon Ripstop AC 1.3 oz/yd, 100% Nylon WR 1.4 oz/yd, Lining: 100% Polyester Dobby WR 2.2 oz/yd, Insulation: 600+ Fill Power Goose Down

The SPECS for Long
Size: 6'6"
Weight: 3 lbs 4 oz / 1474 g
Fill Weight: 24 oz / 680 g
kurt

kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Jul 10 2012 10:08 am

I have the Kelty Lightyear 20° down bag. I think I paid around $150 for it. Nice bag, but wish it compressed to a smaller size. Right mow its about the size of a small watermelon.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

writelots
Wendipelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Jul 10 2012 2:53 pm

Personally, I've never been happy with Kelty's - and I've had several friends who share my sentiments. However, others swear by them. I suppose I've always slept cold, though.
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

hippiepunkpirate
Chameleon Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Jul 10 2012 10:39 pm

The North Face Cat's Meow 20 looks alright (similar to the Kelty Lightyear). However it looks like I'll be putting this purchase on hold as I think I'm going on a few creek overnights in the next couple months and will need to get a drybag for my camera gear and probably a real tent.
Personal website: Mountain Tripper

base871
Seed Sowin' Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Jul 12 2012 7:12 pm

writelots wrote:Personally, I've never been happy with Kelty's - and I've had several friends who share my sentiments. However, others swear by them. I suppose I've always slept cold, though.
True. I had a kelty 15 bag and I was freezing at around 35-40 degrees. I did score a big agnus 15 at one of the rei garage sales for about 20 bucks. Its pretty warm. Its also a womans sleeping bag as it has some pink in it but I dont mind.

It shows off my feminine side :?
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jul 12 2012 7:21 pm

cheap
heavy
bulky

choose any two.

check http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sleeping-bags~d~208/2/ for bargain stuff.
:D

azfatboy
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by azfatboy » Mar 04 2013 10:46 am

hippiepunkpirate wrote:I'm looking for a 15-20 degree bag that is relatively lightweight but is in the cheap range ($150). I'm about 6'2" so I need a tall. The best choice I have so far is the Kelty Cosmic 20 down which is running $110 for the tall at campmor.com right now. Anyone have any other recommendations?
Like the poster above me mentioned, STP has some really good options if you need a good value.

I was looking for a more expensive bag, and at $110+, was not even considering the Kelty Cosmic Down 20. But, STP has them on sale for $95 right now, and with the 30% coupon that is floating around, I was able to score that bag for $66 ! Not the greatest bag, but for that price, I just couldn't justify anything else!

kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Mar 10 2013 7:25 pm

I have the Kelty Light Year. 20° down. Its a little bulky and just a little on the heavy side, just under 3 1/2 pounds, but I love this bag. Never slept a cold night in it. I think I paid around $130 for it a couple years ago.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Mar 11 2013 7:05 am

It's not the greatest, but it will do in a pinch. Keep an eye on the ads from Big 5. Picked up some 20 degree bags to outfit me and my kids for scouting trips for around $35 a bag a couple of years ago. They usually run them on sale a few times a year, especially in the spring. Put them to the test a couple of times when I lived in Idaho. Usually sleep a little cold as well, so with long underwear, a cap and socks I made it through the night.

imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Mar 11 2013 11:58 am

If cost is a major factor, SportsmansGuide.com has great deals... I like the military combos, complete with bivy bags.
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

Return to “Shelter, Bags & Camp”