Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
SteveHall
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Tarp shelters

Post by SteveHall » Jan 16 2016 3:57 pm

Thought we could discuss the different types of tarp shelters and materials being used today. I think that I would be most comfortable having a full coverage tarp to keep heavy winds out, but I still would like to hear about the other options. I was looking at some neat options last night made from Cuben fabric offered by Hyperlight and YAMA, but damn those get pretty pricey. YAMA has some open taps made from Silnylon that are still pretty light and are much more reasonably priced.

What are some other brands/materials offering high quality tarps that you won't see in the big outdoor stores like REI? Also, what are some of the DIY options? Don't have any experiance at building my own gear, but I might be willing to give it a shot if it isn't too complicated.

DallinW
Tundrapelli
City, State: Gilbert AZ

Re: Tarp shelters

Post by DallinW » Jan 16 2016 4:07 pm

Zpacks.com has an array of different Cuben fiber shelters. I'm working on switching over to a tarp setup over my BA Copper Spur UL1.

A tarp will keep you just as dry as a full coverage tent, IF you have the proper skills. More attention will need to be paid to site selection, and you need to know how to pitch in a variety of different configurations based on the current conditions. (Both of which I need to work on myself!)

The reason I'm switching is because it's light (1.5-2lbs lighter in my case), more roomy (at 6'7", I have a hard time fitting into tents even advertised for up to 7'), and more versatile.

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » Jan 16 2016 5:45 pm

Well, Cuben Fiber is now called, Dyneema Composite Fabric, so everybody gets to update their product descriptions, etc. :app:

I made my own tarp using the Ray Jardine, Ray-Way Tarp Kit. It took a bit of time, but not bad and it saved me a bunch of money. I also made the BatWing for bad weather but never have had to use it, even during a pretty nasty thunderstorm with heavy rain and hail. You might also find interesting his tear tests with silnylon and Cuben.
Go find a LonelyCache

SteveHall
Lil' Kokopelli

Post by SteveHall » Jan 16 2016 5:53 pm

rcorfman wrote:Well, Cuben Fiber is now called, Dyneema Composite Fabric, so everybody gets to update their product descriptions, etc. :app:

I made my own tarp using the Ray Jardine, Ray-Way Tarp Kit. It took a bit of time, but not bad and it saved me a bunch of money. I also made the BatWing for bad weather but never have had to use it, even during a pretty nasty thunderstorm with heavy rain and hail. You might also find interesting his tear tests with silnylon and Cuben.
That kit looks like a good option. I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jan 16 2016 6:14 pm

If you want to try something very Inexpensive, I have a Roll of Tyvek that I've been cutting to Length for other HAZers.... It's Extremely Lightweight and Compact....It's only 3 Feet Wide, but you can Seam Seal It to give you more Width....Buy a Grommet Kit at REI and you're Set...I still haven't made a Tarp for me yet, one of those Projects that I can't seem to get to.... :sweat:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

chumley
Pitchin' Tent Expert
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 16 2016 6:42 pm

@Outdoor Lover
Or buy a grommet kit at Walmart and save $27 :y:
3-minute master!

AZDigger
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Topock, AZ

Post by AZDigger » Jan 16 2016 6:44 pm

Steve Hall wrote:Thought we could discuss the different types of tarp shelters and materials being used today. I think that I would be most comfortable having a full coverage tarp to keep heavy winds out, but I still would like to hear about the other options. I was looking at some neat options last night made from Cuben fabric offered by Hyperlight and YAMA, but damn those get pretty pricey. YAMA has some open taps made from Silnylon that are still pretty light and are much more reasonably priced.
What are some other brands/materials offering high quality tarps that you won't see in the big outdoor stores like REI?
Also, what are some of the DIY options? Don't have any experiance at building my own gear, but I might be willing to give it a shot if it isn't too complicated.
I use an Eno rain fly because it has many uses besides keeping ones bald head dry. I have used mine as a hammock after I got tired of scorpions crawling across my face while sleeping on the ground. Because it has options other than "Rain" take a look at it.
"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

-Clint Smith

SteveHall
Lil' Kokopelli

Post by SteveHall » Jan 16 2016 6:50 pm

Outdoor Lover wrote:If you want to try something very Inexpensive, I have a Roll of Tyvek that I've been cutting to Length for other HAZers.... It's Extremely Lightweight and Compact....It's only 3 Feet Wide, but you can Seam Seal It to give you more Width....Buy a Grommet Kit at REI and you're Set...I still haven't made a Tarp for me yet, one of those Projects that I can't seem to get to.... :sweat:
How inexpensive are we talking? If I was going to go that route, I would go real simple rectangular design without batwing ( I figure I could always add one later). I would have to do some measurements, but basically I would like to be able to sit up inside, and have the sides of the tarp come all the way to the ground or at least close. I would try my hand at sewing to reinforce the edges too.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jan 16 2016 7:24 pm

@Steve Hall
Well, I don't have a Price...I haven't "Charged" anyone yet, but if you would like to make a small Donation to my 2016 Canyoneering Fund, I certainly wouldn't Complain..... :D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

SteveHall
Lil' Kokopelli

Post by SteveHall » Jan 16 2016 7:37 pm

Outdoor Lover wrote:@Steve Hall
Well, I don't have a Price...I haven't "Charged" anyone yet, but if you would like to make a small Donation to my 2016 Canyoneering Fund, I certainly wouldn't Complain..... :D
I will defiantly keep this in mind too. I will keep looking at what options there are for now, but I just might be in contact with you soon.

Thanks!

jonathanpatt
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Portal, Arizona

Post by jonathanpatt » Jan 16 2016 8:48 pm

I have a fairly small flat tarp that can be pitched in several configurations, especially in combination with hiking poles, and which weighs 7 oz. It works reasonably well for a minimalist shelter when you're quite sure it isn't going to rain but still want a backup if it does.

I also have a Gatewood Cape, which in some ways I like better than the flat tarp. In its shelter configuration, it's a pyramid tarp pitched with a single tilted hiking pole in the center. But you can also wear it as a poncho. 12 oz for a dual purpose piece of gear is pretty good.

For both of these, I tend to use a lightweight bivy to avoid snakes or other things crawling into my quilt with me.

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » Jan 17 2016 8:13 pm

skillpore wrote:Use a rock to tie cord around
Or a sheet bend at the corners. No rock needed.
Go find a LonelyCache

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jan 18 2016 6:01 pm

there are now more hammock oriented tarps than ones made for the ground.. !
but you can still find great ground sleepin' stuff (besides zpacks) at mountainlaureldesigns - oware - sixmoondesigns - outdoorequipmentsupplier -
:D

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 19 2016 5:56 am

I have an MSR eWing which I bring instead of a tent if there is chance of light rain. It's not big enough, to my way of thinking. I sure would not want to have to be under it in a real storm. Tent, please. However, since I have used it numerous times, sometimes just for shade, I have learned to pitch it quite a few ways, so I figure it's been good practice.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Shelter, Bags & Camp”