Hiking vehicles

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
rally_toad
City, State: CA

Hiking vehicles

Post by rally_toad »

What kind of vehicles do you guys all drive when your going hiking? Im thinking about investing in a 4wd high clearance Jeep or something of the sort so I could get to some places where I definitely couldnt get to with what Im driving now (73 mustang):) I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee today for $2600 and I was thinking about checking it out. What "hiking vehicle" is easiest to drive and which gets the best gas mileage (even though I know most wouldnt be too fuel efficient.)
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth
Pivo
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Hiking vehicles

Post by Pivo »

@hikerdw
Worse yet, do any of those vehicles come equipped with run flats? I have owned two vehicles with them, and immediately switched to performance tires, bought jack, tools and a full size spare.
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

@kyleGChiker
I like your way of thinking. But as hikerdw mentioned, I wouldn't put the full-size spare on the list of requirements. It's as easily remedied as a new radio, and probably less expensive!

But for those of us who keep vehicles for a while, it's a good time to mention that you should be replacing your spare tire after ~7 years anyway. The drop-dead replacement recommendation is 10 years, but the desert heat is brutal on rubber so after 5 years I would be doing regular inspections anyway.

So whether you just acquired the vehicle or just as part of the extended life of owning it, plan on replacing the spare tire anyway.
33s over 45s
sneakySASQUATCH
City, State: Pike National Forest, Co

Post by sneakySASQUATCH »

@cactuscat
Propping hood up is not an option as it is between the front seats in the cab. Not willing to let them into the sleeping area. :) We have looked at motion sensor lights etc. not sure what we are going to end up using.
:o
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

@sneakySASQUATCH
Petroleum has long been the traditional base for the rubbery and tantalizingly chewable protective coating that covers the countless wires found in your car's electrical system. Now, major automakers such as Toyota use more environmentally friendly wire insulation made not from crude oil byproducts, but from soybeans. Soy-coated wires can satisfy rats' notoriously ravenous hunger streak and their natural chewing fix at the same time — and they apparently love the stuff.
Spray rodent repellent or peppermint oil on and around the front tires and wheel wells.
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
chumley

Post by chumley »

I gotta believe the Pinzgauer has not advanced to the more modern and delicious soy-based rat-attractive coatings. Maybe Colorado rats still enjoy the old-fashioned taste of petroleum to fuel their daily activities.
33s over 45s
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

@chumley

As far as oil vs. soybeans... What's that old (rat) saying? "Any port in a storm"?

Peppermint seems a cheap 'try' anyway.... Mothballs have also been known to be effective.
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
sneakySASQUATCH

@hikeaz Oh believe me we’ll be trying everything don’t want a repeat. We are going for a week in a couple weeks. Armed with multiple remedies. In all honesty that area outside Glenwood springs was the worst rodent area I’ve ever camped at and never had an issue before. The mice and squirrels had tunnels running under fire ring etc.
chumley

Post by chumley »

@sneakySASQUATCH
I'm thinking Micah would love a new pet [ Gopher Snake ] :)
33s over 45s
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

Spend your Biden-Bucks (really your own money, repackaged as a 'gift') on a good cause*! https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/ ... ION-248201
*- GRANT A GIFT AUTISM FOUNDATION AND THE RAIDERS FOUNDATION
Last edited by hikeaz on Jun 28 2021 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
chumley

Post by chumley »

@hikeaz
The Raiders logo alone is worth a $10k markup! :sweat:
33s over 45s
sneakySASQUATCH

@chumley Although we didn’t camp in sego canyon on last trip where we saw a mouse, I got ultrasonic flashy light things sort of like what was suggested. Two pack and they run continuously for 45 days if not turned off. Not a sign of rodent activity for the whole trip. One in the engine one underneath the truck. If we choose to sleep in the awning room without something in front of the unit there is a disco show of flashing lights.
RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 »

If I had infinite money and garages I would have this thing. Kanye West has like 10 of them. [ youtube video ]
chumley

Post by chumley »

@RedRoxx44
russian bot!!
33s over 45s
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
chumley

Post by chumley »

@hikeaz
They just had a media weekend, so there are reviews out from just about any publication that has an editor who wanted a weekend at truck camp. So far, the best one I read was in Modern Cat.
33s over 45s
RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 »

Typical-- a writer who has no idea about what they are talking about mostly. Remark on the Black Diamond trim name. Lots of 4x4 trails esp in California are signed according to a colored diamond rating as to the severity of the trail. Red, black, clear and other markings indicate need for modified vehicle or not. I almost rolled my red Jeep on a black diamond trail near the Big Bear area in Cali. Broke a leaf spring and shock mount; lost traction on a dry waterfall and bounced down in backward on one wheel. Luckily stayed upright. Fired my spotter and took a different line and made it. Dana 60 rear held up as it should.
KwaiChang
City, State: Bradenton, FL

Post by KwaiChang »

RedRoxx44 wrote: Fired my spotter and took a different line and made it.
Did the spotter walk home??? :o
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....

Return to “Auto, Bike, Boat, Kayak, etc...”