Linked Area/Label none
rally_toad
Guides: 22 | Official Routes: 1
Triplogs Last: 13 days ago | RS: 47
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: never
City, State: CA

Hiking vehicles

Post by rally_toad »

What kind of vehicles do you guys all drive when your going hiking? Im thinking about investing in a 4wd high clearance Jeep or something of the sort so I could get to some places where I definitely couldnt get to with what Im driving now (73 mustang):) I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee today for $2600 and I was thinking about checking it out. What "hiking vehicle" is easiest to drive and which gets the best gas mileage (even though I know most wouldnt be too fuel efficient.)
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth
hikeaz
Guides: 6 | Official Routes: 0
Triplogs Last: 165 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 463 days ago
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Hiking vehicles

Post by hikeaz »

"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
RedRoxx44
Guides: 5 | Official Routes: 0
Triplogs Last: 5 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 4,919 days ago
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 »

Word---TACOZILLA!!
[ youtube video ]
Pivo
Guides: 2 | Official Routes: 21
Triplogs Last: today | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 6 | Last: 9 days ago
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Pivo »

@RedRoxx44
Nice, however not even close to the Chummer.
cactuscat
Guides: 0 | Official Routes: 2
Triplogs Last: 2 days ago | RS: 13
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 1,353 days ago

Post by cactuscat »

Here's an article about TACOZILLA ...
New Atlas: Toyota presents the Tacoma 4x4 camper the world needs immediately.
https://newatlas.com/automotive/toyota- ... per-truck/
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with pigeons.
chumley
Guides: 84 | Official Routes: 201
Triplogs Last: 20 days ago | RS: 40
Water Reports 1Y: 1 | Last: 20 days ago

Post by chumley »

@cactuscat
I like how it looks, but it's pathetic that they didn't do more to the truck itself. Without regearing to 5.29 all that extra weight will make it a nice vehicle to camp in, but not one you would enjoy driving to wherever you want to park it. At least it has the manual transmission. The auto would just laugh when you pushed the pedal.
33s over 45s
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

chumley wrote:The auto would just laugh when you pushed the pedal.
Problem solved..
https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/up ... 048%2C1152
https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/up ... 048%2C1152
LS-1 and MORE! >> [ youtube video ]
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
chumley

Post by chumley »

@hikeaz Land Cruisers are beasts. I don't like the white rims on that one though. Looks like plastic. And they should be covered in mud anyway! :)
33s over 45s
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

chumley wrote:And they should be covered in mud anyway!
You mean like (fake) trail-cred? >> https://supdec.com/images/2598_Toyota-F ... BURST_.jpg
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

The Ford Bronco Raptor will be equipped with Fox's Live Wire twin-tube bypass dampers (also used on the F-150 Raptor), making it ride much higher than the standard SUV. It'll be available with 37-inch BF Goodrich K02 all-terrain tires, though a set of smaller 35-inch tires should be standard. Tying all these aggressive elements together will be a significantly wider stance, as clearly seen here, with bulging fender flares. It also has a "Ford" script grille like the F-150 Raptor, amber headlights and marker lights, meaning it'll be more than 80 inches wide, skid plates, and darker, unique taillights.
Ford has yet to reveal any details on what will power the Bronco Raptor, but rumor has it that it'll use a powerful twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V-6. Currently, the Bronco's most powerful engine is a 330-hp twin-turbo 2.7-liter V-6 that helped propel the two-door Bronco First Edition to 60 mph in 6.3 seconds in our testing. The Bronco Raptor's output should be much higher and could even be around 450 horsepower, close to the new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392's 470-hp V-8.
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
Jim_H
Guides: 62 | Official Routes: 21
Triplogs Last: 3 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 17 | Last: 20 days ago
City, State: Marana, AZ

Post by Jim_H »

@hikeaz How many gallons per miles will it use?
Let's go Brandon!!!!! Let's go Brandon!!!!
RedRoxx44
Guides: 5 | Official Routes: 0
Triplogs Last: 5 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 4,919 days ago
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 »

@hikeaz
Impressive, but these vehicles are getting too wide for certain mining roads. It makes them more stable but problematic. Could this get thru the "squeeze" in Anza Borrego--no. Original Hummer an off road beast but too friggin wide for some applications. Even my Jeep is a bit big for certain spots. But that is why they make ATVs--- although some of the side by sides are too wide too, good for open sand running.
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

Letty - agreed on the width, for sure.
I thought they had UTV's because people have too much money and boys never grow up..
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
Nighthiker
Triplogs Last: 42 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: never
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker »

OHV's have been getting longer and wider but I still prefer the original quad, Jeep. My concern is keep from getting wider at my waist.
jk
markthurman53
Guides: 187 | Official Routes: 189
Triplogs Last: 2 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 14 | Last: 227 days ago
City, State: Tucson, Arizona

Post by markthurman53 »

@chumley
The old Land Cruiser not the new urban family vehicle. Of coarse with the 327 V8 I can't afford the gas.
Attachments
02 GALLIUROS MTS 78.jpg
19 GALLIUROS MTS 78.jpg
Last edited by joebartels on Nov 09 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed invalid url img tags
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

Nighthiker wrote:My concern is keep from getting wider at my waist.
Sadly, you are not alone. :)
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
chumley

Post by chumley »

@hikeaz
I bid it up to $88. I think it'll go for over $100 though.
33s over 45s
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

Last year, Ford sent car enthusiasts crazy with the announcement they would be bringing back the Bronco into their portfolio. 190,000 customers placed reservations before the vehicle ever started production. Ford even stopped allowing reservations in order to facilitate the demand. As with many goods, the pandemic has caused massive issues with supply chains in the automotive world and deliveries of the new Bronco could be pushed out until the end of 2022. Ford is looking at options to keep customers satisfied while they wait to drive their newest vehicle. They have authorized dealerships to allocate up to $1,000 per customer as a “satisfaction fund.” Ford outlined that the funds could be used to help customers with interim vehicle costs, future maintenance bills, or even, quote “Buy a bottle of their favorite bourbon or spirit to thank them for their loyalty and patience.”
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
big_load
Guides: 0 | Official Routes: 1
Triplogs Last: 1,110 days ago | RS: 2
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 1,110 days ago
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

Mrs. BigLoad and I met someone in UT driving a fully tricked out, brand new, Toyota Land Cruiser. It sure was nice, but I'd get stressed about putting such a nice vehicle in harm's way when it's still so pristine.
CannondaleKid
Guides: 43 | Official Routes: 47
Triplogs Last: 67 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 783 days ago
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid »

@big_load
What would be the point of getting a vehicle like that and if you don't take advantage of its capabilities? NOT using it for the adventures you supposedly got it for?

In 2017 when I bought the 2007 4Runner it was pristine, never been off pavement and not a scratch on it. So what did I do, worry about every little scratch it may attract?
Heck NO!
After adding a modest 2.5" lift, a rear locker and off-road capable tires my first hiking destination added the required Arizona Pinstripes baptizing it as the 4x4 capable vehicle it is. Now, 60,000 miles later it just gained a fresh set of pinstripes on the way to our hike two days ago. All I do is give it a thorough wash and a liberal addition of wax and presto, the pinstripes are almost invisible.

To me it is a big shame how many 'super off-road-capable' vehicles I see on the road which are obviously boulevard cruisers, showing off... MY 4x4 is more capable than yours! mantra. Whoopee! But thank you, please go ahead, stay on the pavement so we can enjoy more serenity off-pavement.
:M2C:
CannondaleKid

Return to “Auto, Bike, Boat, Kayak, etc...”