Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
jtaylor
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Montero Sport?

Post by jtaylor » Sep 28 2009 9:33 pm

Any one own a Mitsubishi Montero Sport, or know some one who does? Just wondering what the opinions are of these things. I'm trying to decide whether it would be better to get an '02-'04, or spend an extra $3-$5k on a comparable 4Runner. That's a pretty steep premium for a 4Runner.

Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
“...wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.”
-Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Re: Montero Sport?

Post by te_wa » Sep 28 2009 10:20 pm

you'll never get an 04 4runner for $3-5K more than a Monty Sport.
my '01 XLS was $12K, and comparible 4runners with similar mileage and refinements were close to $20K
you can go to http://www.monterosportonline.com for opinions and complaints
:D

Chapman
Fingerlickinpelli
City, State: Twin Oaks, MO

Post by Chapman » Sep 28 2009 10:47 pm

Respect the YOTA! Any questions you know where to find me Taylor! :D

jtaylor
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by jtaylor » Sep 29 2009 6:34 am

te-wa wrote:you'll never get an 04 4runner for $3-5K more than a Monty Sport.
my '01 XLS was $12K, and comparible 4runners with similar mileage and refinements were close to $20K
you can go to http://www.monterosportonline.com for opinions and complaints
From what I'm seeing on craigslist and autotrader, it's more like an '04 Monty Sport = '02 4Runner + $5k (similar miles). I've written-off the current generation 4wd 4Runners. They're just ridiculous. Do you like your Monty Sport?
“...wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.”

jtaylor
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by jtaylor » Sep 29 2009 6:40 am

Chapman wrote:Respect the YOTA! Any questions you know where to find me Taylor! :D
Oh, I love the yotas, man. Just not sure I wanna pay some yahoo the extra money. It's like this: Would you rather have Frank Gore as your RB, or pay an extra $5 mil/yr for Adrian Peterson? Peterson's clearly the better running back, but is he really $5 mil better?? Just sayin'...

BobP
Cairn Reaper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Sep 29 2009 7:08 am

jtaylor wrote:but is he really $5 mil better??
You betcha from a non Vikings fan.

Its like a sirloin vs filet mignon. Sometimes more expensive is better. :)
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Sep 29 2009 7:55 am

The question is how long you plan to own it. If you'll ever sell it, then you will make a portion of it back because the 4Runner will sell for much more when you're done with it.

If you plan to run it until it dies, will you spend the money repairing various things on the Mitsu, while the Toyota just keeps running? And how long will it take for Mitsu repairs vs. Toyota repairs to equal $5k.

For me, there's peace-of-mind in taking my truck into the most remote corners of the state without having to think about being stranded there. That's worth $5k right there!

My best friend had a Mitsu Eclipse for 12 years. Not by choice however. It was an absolute money pit. It went through 3 engines, and virtually every system and convenience failed at some point. Over time, he learned that much of his car was built with Chrysler's parts and technology due to the partnership between those automakers. Its worth paying attention to details like that. I don't know where the Montero is built, and I don't think it shares much with any Jeeps (which I think is a good thing).

Toyota is not immune from similar issues. Trucks built in Japan have higher quality ratings than those built in the US. (Most Tacos, 4Runners and Sequoias are built here ... Land Cruisers are all built in Japan). For the models where some are built here and others in Japan, the prefix on the VIN will identify the country it was built in.

Ultimately, when you find one you like (either brand), pay your mechanic $75 to give it a good looking-over before committing to buy. Its a worthwhile investment.
Ja vi elsker dette landet

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Sep 29 2009 8:13 am

my monty is a 2001, 100% Japanese build

my monty is a XLS, 3.5L limited slip rear w/ 2" lift on Bilstein shocks with 32" LT rated all terrain's. 55K miles, yours for $8,400 (and the stereo/dvd was worth $2,700 by itself)

the only thing i would improve on the truck are stiffer springs in rear. Old Man Emu from AUS makes some great aftermarket monty suspensions.

jtaylor
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by jtaylor » Sep 29 2009 9:18 am

chumley wrote:Trucks built in Japan have higher quality ratings than those built in the US.
I hear that. We currently own a 2003 Honda Pilot that we've had for a couple years. The tranny feels like it's slipping or something. According to our mechanic, the tranny was built in Canada. Granted, I haven't exactly babied it, but still...

fairweather8588
Jeep Bustin' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by fairweather8588 » Sep 29 2009 9:40 am

te-wa wrote:my monty is a 2001, 100% Japanese build

my monty is a XLS, 3.5L limited slip rear w/ 2" lift on Bilstein shocks with 32" LT rated all terrain's. 55K miles, yours for $8,400 (and the stereo/dvd was worth $2,700 by itself)

the only thing i would improve on the truck are stiffer springs in rear. Old Man Emu from AUS makes some great aftermarket monty suspensions.
Mike's got a good truck, and takes good care of it. Stereo system is awesome too
No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Sep 29 2009 9:54 am

unfortunately, the resale value plummeted. that is a 2-part factor, one is SUV's are not nearly as high demand as they were in '01-'07 and also an economy with a 9.7% unemployment rate is just. plain. broken.

fwiw, i paid $12K cash for it. i have only put on 7,000 miles in 4 years and a few AZ pinstripes (i'll throw those in for free ;) )
just 4 years later, its only KBB value of 7,600 stock. the extra asking price is for the CDT audio, Pioneer DVD, and JL amps with Diamond speakers and the almost new $1000 set of tires and $400 Bilstein shocks

jtaylor
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by jtaylor » Sep 29 2009 11:32 am

I thought you were just joking about selling it. I won't be ready to buy for another 4-6 weeks. You will probably have unloaded it by then, but I'll check-in just in case.

You're not selling it to buy a 4Runner are you?

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Sep 29 2009 11:39 am

i never said i was "selling" it.
if you are looking for one, you can have mine. i dont need money. i dont use the truck much. its a waste to let it sit there. so if you want one, you can have it for a fair price.

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Sep 29 2009 12:01 pm

te-wa wrote:i dont need money.
I do.
Ja vi elsker dette landet

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Sep 29 2009 5:01 pm

chumley wrote:
te-wa wrote:i dont need money.
I do.
Who's handing it out? I'll take some too!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Sep 29 2009 5:36 pm

I can't believe you like money too. We should hang out.
- Frito (Dax Shepard), in "Idiocracy".

jtaylor
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by jtaylor » Sep 29 2009 8:03 pm

You're so money and you don't even know it!!
- Trent (Vince Vaughn), in "Swingers".

Seriously though: I'm willing to bet te-was has taken his Monty Sport to the most remote corners of the state. I'm all for paying a premium for reliability; but only if I have to. Sounds like the "Made in Japan" element might be most important. Xterra might be another option, I suppose...

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Sep 29 2009 8:51 pm

like i said, only 12,000 miles in 4 years. so no, i havent been many places. used 4x4 about 3 times.
i just cant see using one of the best, last real SUV's that is more than capable of off-roading for going to Costco. its a shame, im ashamed. :?

JimmyLyding
Sasquatchopelli
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Sep 29 2009 11:54 pm

My best friend in high school did his best to destroy a Montero (I believe it was a 95 FWIW), and he could not succeed. He succeeded in destroying about everything else he set his mind to.

keepmoving
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Portland, OR

Post by keepmoving » Sep 29 2009 11:59 pm

4runner!!!! And if you are into 4wd try to look for a 99 or 00 Limited edition model with the rear e-locker. I was dead set on getting one a couple months ago, only to have my heart broken when I learned someone who is 6'1" doesn't fit...

Return to “Auto, Bike, Boat, Kayak, etc...”