Montero Sport?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
jtaylor
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Montero Sport?

Post by jtaylor » Sep 28 2009 9:33 pm

Any one own a Mitsubishi Montero Sport, or know some one who does? Just wondering what the opinions are of these things. I'm trying to decide whether it would be better to get an '02-'04, or spend an extra $3-$5k on a comparable 4Runner. That's a pretty steep premium for a 4Runner.

Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
“...wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.”
-Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire

jtaylor

Re: Montero Sport?

Post by jtaylor » Sep 30 2009 6:34 am

JamesLyding wrote:My best friend in high school did his best to destroy a Montero (I believe it was a 95 FWIW), and he could not succeed. He succeeded in destroying about everything else he set his mind to.
That sounds about like me (some subconcious sickness, maybe?), which is why I need something durable. Especially since this is going to double as the family/road trip vehicle...
“...wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.”

jtaylor

Post by jtaylor » Sep 30 2009 6:36 am

keepmoving wrote:4runner!!!! And if you are into 4wd try to look for a 99 or 00 Limited edition model with the rear e-locker. I was dead set on getting one a couple months ago, only to have my heart broken when I learned someone who is 6'1" doesn't fit...
Unfortunately, those will probably have more miles on them than what I'm after. Did they stop puting the locker in after '00? That would suck.

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Sep 30 2009 9:29 am

you pro'lly know then that the XLS has an equivalent of Dana 44 in the rear
if i were to ever aquire another 4x4 it would likely have a solid front axle, like an old Bronco or similar
:D

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Sep 30 2009 9:41 am

te-wa wrote:i have only put on 7,000 miles in 4 years
te-wa wrote:like i said, only 12,000 miles in 4 years
You are a funny guy :sl:
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

jtaylor

Post by jtaylor » Sep 30 2009 9:43 am

te-wa wrote:you pro'lly know then that the XLS has an equivalent of Dana 44 in the rear
if i were to ever aquire another 4x4 it would likely have a solid front axle, like an old Bronco or similar
I don't follow. Are you saying the XLS is locked-up? Or just that it has rear axle that's as durable as a Dana 44?

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Sep 30 2009 10:02 am

sorry, 7000 miles. i had to check. i know i never drive it and there's no way i did 12000 miles.

anyway, yes its a mitsubishi version of a dana 44 and its "overbuilt" to say the least.

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Sep 30 2009 10:21 am

It def is a sweet ride.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

keepmoving
City, State: Portland, OR

Post by keepmoving » Sep 30 2009 1:19 pm

jtaylor wrote:
keepmoving wrote:4runner!!!! And if you are into 4wd try to look for a 99 or 00 Limited edition model with the rear e-locker. I was dead set on getting one a couple months ago, only to have my heart broken when I learned someone who is 6'1" doesn't fit...
Unfortunately, those will probably have more miles on them than what I'm after. Did they stop puting the locker in after '00? That would suck.
Toyota did away with the e-locker after 00, and while there are still some low mileage 99 and 00s out there, it takes a ton of research to find one.

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Sep 30 2009 8:24 pm

what do you mean by "doesn't fit"?
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

jtaylor

Post by jtaylor » Oct 01 2009 1:27 pm

I've heard also that Mitsubishi's tend to cost more to repair. I googled various parts, though (alternator, starter, axles, brake pads, etc), and they seemed to be about the same or less than for a 4Runner. Is this just a conspiracy?

te_wa

Post by te_wa » Oct 01 2009 2:00 pm

do it yourself!
i went to mitsu dealer to purchase 2 rear cam seals which were notoriously bad from the factory and were improved (should have been recalled, but this way the make $$ instead of lose $$ - the bastards)

anyway these upgraded rear cam seals were $3 each.. and the nutjob mechanic tries to tell me "are you sure you want to tackle this yourself? we can do it for you and i'll only charge you 8 hours shop time (no lie, thats what he told me)
well shop time is $40 per hour

needless to say, a 12mm ratchet wrench and 1 hour later i had new cam seals. what a crock!

looking at some of the repair costs, 600 for a new A/C compressor and $450 for an alternator makes me want to laugh at anyone who would pay these charges and not learn simple auto mechanics.. "Here's Your Sign"
:sl:

jtaylor

Post by jtaylor » Oct 01 2009 2:52 pm

Dealers are the devil.

I'm all for doing the basic stuff (anything with brakes; starters; generally belts). But I also seem to get myself in trouble a lot. Plus it's not as fun when there's house repairs and family stuff to juggle, not to mention just trying to get to the trails.

Return to “Auto, Bike, Boat, Kayak, etc...”