Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Inflatable boats

Post by Nighthiker » Mar 01 2003 12:55 pm

Any one use inflatable boats ? Not interested in river trips just to cross and poke around the lake. For example, crossing Apache Lake near Burnt Corral to explore/hike the other side. Verde River to access the Towel Creek trail
jk

montezumawell
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Montezumawell, AZ

boats

Post by montezumawell » Mar 01 2003 3:57 pm

Are you going to have to pack the boat with you on your hike?
Weight is a real big factor in both durability, functionality and, of course, cost.
Inflatables can be real cheap but you get what you pay for.
They can be real expensive, too, but you'd be buying overkill for your purpose.

Most likely, the "leader" in the lowest price range with the "best" reliability to cost ratio would be:

http://www.sevylor.com/

Anything priced less than that would be touch and go. (Touch a rock and you don't go!)

There's a ga-zillion considerations in buying one of them. Post more info and we will help.

J&S

PS--Words in quotes are considered subjective and subject to broad interpretation.

MaryPhyl
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by MaryPhyl » Mar 01 2003 7:14 pm

Those little one man boats weigh three pounds.. Hold about 200 pounds.

Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Mar 04 2003 9:57 am

I think it was a sevylor inflatable that I was looking at an outdoor show last month. I would transport by vehicle, launch and upon arrival at my destination I would cache the boat and go off on a hike.

Larry Bolton
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Larry Bolton » Mar 18 2003 2:02 pm

I used to have an inflatable that was 11 feet long with 4 chambers and could hold 6 passengers. We used it for crossing the Verde River during high flows to get to the Verde Hot Springs. That meant the springs were all ours until the river flow dropped. We also used it to float down the Salt. As for lakes…paddling is a lot of work. We actually used a 3HP outboard.
Worked pretty well BUT be sure your boat is registered and has ALL the flotation devices and safety equipment required. That’s because as soon as the Game and Fish people see you pumping the boat up they’re starting to write up tickets assuming you haven’t done your homework. I don’t think I ever went to the lakes with out a visit from the friendly Game & Fish folks. Be warned – the tickets ain’t cheap.

Return to “Auto, Bike, Boat, Kayak, etc...”