Snake Gaiters -worth it?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
kenjacobsen
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Snake Gaiters -worth it?

Post by kenjacobsen »

Anyone ever try Snake Gaiters like these, and if so, are they worth the trouble?

https://www.farmandlandaccessories.com/ ... e-gaiters/

Personally I've almost stepped on a rattler a couple times now, so I'm wondering.
toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Re: Snake Gaiters -worth it?

Post by toddak »

Turtleskins are $150+ but after a year of use with lots of offtrail bushwhack mine still look like new. I use 1.8mm Dyneema cord to cinch them down tight to my shoes, and even with the cord looping under the sole of the shoe and getting ground into the dirt with every step I've never had a cord break, they hardly even show any wear. Materials science!
AZClaimjumper
City, State: Reno, Nevada

Re: Snake Gaiters -worth it?

Post by AZClaimjumper »

In addition to my Turtleskin gaiters that I wear when bushwhacking, I wear a pair of Dirty Girl gaiters over my boots when I'm going to be hiking on trails.
10 days ago I bought a pair of Kahtoola LevaGaiters (Gore-Tex) Tall that I wear when I go hiking in snow. They are lightweight (5.2oz) for the pair, no buckles to mess with & no condensation after hiking all day with them on. Normally, I'm wearing them when I'm certain I'll be wearing my Kahtoola Microspikes on snow-packed & or icy trails at high elevations here in Nevada.

Return to “Gear”