Battery Replacements for PLBs/EPIRB's

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
AZClaimjumper
City, State: Reno, Nevada

Battery Replacements for PLBs/EPIRB's

Post by AZClaimjumper »

It would have cost me $150.00 to have my expired battery pack of THREE CR123A batteries replaced by the manufacturer. I've been carrying the ACR ResQLink PLB for almost 7 years, the battery pack expired 2 years ago. I've been reluctant to pay $150.00 to have the batteries replaced. Earlier this year I discovered an alternative, Beacon Battery Replacement (https://beaconbatteryreplacement.com/). They have a variety of replacement battery paks for many popular PLBs/EPIRBs.

I paid $39.00; the replacement was an easy drop-in, plug-in replacement.
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Battery Replacements for PLBs/EPIRB's

Post by chumley »

I'm all for saving money and looking for a deal, but if there's one thing that I'm perfectly ok with spending the money to get the OEM part from the manufacturer, it's the single most important piece of life-saving emergency equipment that I carry. But it's cool that here in America we are free to make our own choices.
33s over 45s
outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover »

@chumley
Pretty much how I feel about camera batteries too. Ask a camera repair shop what the number 1 reason for camera breakage or failure is. I pay too much for cameras to possibly ruin them with after market batteries.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

I have a year left on my batteries. I've been hoping to see a ResQLink update before I had to get new ones.
AZClaimjumper

Post by AZClaimjumper »

@chumley
Your point is well spoken & is THE reason I vacillated for more than 2 years B4 finally making the command decision to go with non-mfg replacement battery pack. OEM battery replacements are expensive whether they are for a camera, Laptop, Cell phone, or a life-saving piece of electronic equipment.

You're spot on in terms of THE reason for buying OEM battery replacements. I'm thinking that Beacon Battery Replacement company has a very real potential for liability suits if their battery replacements fail & people start losing their lives. Admittedly, it would be the dead person's relatives that would have to file a lawsuit, and BBR company clearly states on their website that their products are non-manufacturer replacements

BBR Battery packs are assembled here in America.
Last edited by AZClaimjumper on Sep 05 2020 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

big_load wrote: Sep 05 2020 10:15 pm I have a year left on my batteries. I've been hoping to see a ResQLink update before I had to get new ones.
Ah, I see they updated last year. There are a few improvements, but I don't know replacement is worth twice the cost of an official new battery.
AZClaimjumper

Post by AZClaimjumper »

@big_load
Battery replacement is something everyone is going to have to deal with at some point in time if they own a PLB/EPIRB. There are 3 choices, replace the electronic device, Send the electronic device to the manufacturer & pay to have them replace the battery pack, or buy a non-manufacturer 3rd party battery pack. The choice is yours.
no avatar
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

Sorry to thread hijack but does anyone know how reliable an RF based PLB would be in a slot canyon vs. a satellite system such as InReach? Recently I've had issues getting an InReach signal in places it ought to work well such as open canyons like you have on the rim with lots of sky overhead. I'm starting to get paranoid about falling into a keeper hole or pulling an Aaron Ralston or something while seeing sky overhead yet not getting a sat signal for days.

Anyway back to the topic - it makes me a little sick that Garmin went the route of non user replaceable L.Ion battery in InReach units when they bought out DeLorme. It's going to suck in 3-4 years when that thing no longer holds a charge and the only option is to spend three fiddy on an InReach Mini.
nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot »

Nearly all the PLBs work with a satellite or two that hover south of Texas (to allow one satellite to pick up signals across the entire continental US. So even if there is clear sky above you in a canyon, if your view southeast is blocked, it won't get through. If you need one that works with only overhead views, look for a system that has non-geostationary satellites such that there is a good chance one is directly overhead.

Closer to coastal areas they also have these things built into some coastal towers, since they were originally designed to pick up boat signals.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
no avatar
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

@nonot
Interesting - I learned something new, thanks!
AZClaimjumper

Post by AZClaimjumper »

@nonot
This is the first time I've heard that InReach LI batteries are not replaceable by users. Bummer.
no avatar
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

@AZClaimjumper
It's possible that the old DeLorme ones were user replaceable (I don't know). But all of the Garmin inreach units for sure are fully sealed units. I am sure with the right tool one could get in there and change the battery out but it would certainly void the warranty and possibly disrupt the weather proofing.
AZClaimjumper

Post by AZClaimjumper »

@wildwesthikes
There are several youtube videos showing how to replace battery packs in the old DeLorme InReach. Very straight forward, it was designed so owners could easily replace battery packs.
Pivo
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Pivo »

@wildwesthikes I found a kit for the Garmin inReach Explorer+ tools, replacement battery and video

[ youtube video ]

Additionally, AliExpress has a replacement battery and back cover for the inReach mini.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/10000004598512.html
Looks pretty straight forward.

Return to “Gear”