Foot gear survey - What are your favorite's?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Foot gear survey - What are your favorite's?

Post by CannondaleKid »

Ok, here goes... in attempts to keep this civil as long as possible, can we leave out WHY we like one type or brand over another and let's just see how big a variety we get. After we get a good sampling than feel free to come back and post why you like a specific brand or style foot gear.

What is your favorite foot gear under the following conditions?
1. Short, or easy terrain hikes
2. Long hikes
3. Tougher terrain
4. Backpacking (20-30+ lb packs?)
5. Cold weather use
6. Snowy hikes

Of course, my favorite foot gear pretty much reads like a broken record:
1. Older pair of Teva Terra-Fi's
2. Teva Terra-Fi's or Terra-Fi 3's
3. Teva Terra-Fi 3's
4. Teva Terra-Fi 3's
5. Teva Terra-Fi's or Terra-Fi 3's with either wool or neoprene socks
6. Teva Terra-Fi's or Terra-Fi 3's with neoprene socks
CannondaleKid
te_wa
City, State: Mesa

Re: Foot gear survey - What are your favorite's?

Post by te_wa »

Vasque Satoru Trail
squirrel!
sneakySASQUATCH
City, State: Pike National Forest, Co

Post by sneakySASQUATCH »

@big_load My toes are uglier if that’s possible? Um...I’d post pics, but last time Joe removed my avatar Haha!
:o
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels »

lol... they were nobody's favorite color

I'm about twelve years all-in on various Salomon. Currently, the Speed Cross 5. 500 miles is typical. I tried a pair of cheap insoles a few years ago and got 751 miles. While the insole extended the last hundred or so miles they were far from comfy. Perhaps because the insole was cheap, but it was like having a pillow base which in turn made the fit uncomfortably tight.
joe_gear.png
My current pair developed the rare dreaded squeak after a hundred miles. Finally remembered to throw them in the wash today, which helps sometimes.

Curious if anyone uses those fiberglass strength inserts REI had years ago? Couldn't find 'em but maybe these with some duct tape will suffice as a sandal to challenge Joel's incredible 1k(kangaroo) mileage.
- joe
outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover »

La Sportiva Bushidos for Trails, La Sportiva Guide TX for non-trail or gnarly trails. The Guides have almost too sticky a rubber, probably because they're an approach shoe. A low Scarpa for backpacking.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
sneakySASQUATCH

@joebartels
It’s surprising, but I’m running in the pair I hiked in in Az. 8 years ago. I retired them 1.5 years ago and run every other day in that pair. I opened another box that I’m still hiking in and have 8 pair left. Of course I’ve diversified and I have gone through 4 pairs of Xero ztrails. I have one pair of Xero ztrek sandals with 400 miles and I swear these have the toughest sole of any shoe I’ve owned. They are hard, and the sole shows literally no wear! I have resoled two pairs of Softstar plain runamocs twice. So I’m definitely not just hiking running in VFF’s since I’ve lived here.
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

sneakySASQUATCH wrote: May 28 2021 4:31 pm @big_load My toes are uglier if that’s possible? Um...I’d post pics, but last time Joe removed my avatar Haha!
But no performance or utility deficits?
SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs »

joebartels wrote:I'm about twelve years all-in on various Salomon. Currently, the Speed Cross 5. 500 miles is typical. I tried a pair of cheap insoles a few years ago and got 751 miles. While the insole extended the last hundred or so miles they were far from comfy. Perhaps because the insole was cheap, but it was like having a pillow base which in turn made the fit uncomfortably tight.
Currently on about my tenth pair of Speedcrosses and have gone from the 3's to the current 5's. Like you, I'm getting about 6 months/500 miles out of mine doing a combo of trail running and hiking.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer
sneakySASQUATCH

@big_load Nope not really.
Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield »

I'm on the 5th or 6th pair of Lowa Trekkers. Some pairs have not lasted very well but they fit and that's the main criterion. If I treat them with nixwax religiously they last better.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

I use the Sofsole AIRR Orthotic in my Altra Hiker Mids. (Just ordered an upgrade on the Altras, since mine are wearing out. This time I am getting the semi-water-resistant model, from the current REI sale today. Since I have not tried this model before, will have to wait and see.)

The Sofsole AIRR Orthotic was recommended to me by that guy who used to run a shop for PCT thru-hikers (Laguna Mountain Sports and Supply) at Mount Laguna, CA, which is now closed. He promoted them as being better than Superfeet. I wasn't thru-hiking, but got to chatting with him about my foot problems, and ended up ordering the Sofsole much later on. They do work well for me. https://sofsole.implus.com/product/airr ... ic-insoles
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker »

Belleville Boots, Model C390 and 590. Vibram lug pattern, padded collar. Available in wide for my wide feet. Dunham Cloud for low desert trail boot. Spenco insoles.
jk
Watauga
City, State: Tempe

Post by Watauga »

I'll preface this by saying that I lived in Western NC for 10 years before making the jump to AZ. My Chacos get a lot of comments out here, something that never happened on the east coast.

What is your favorite foot gear under the following conditions?
1. Short, or easy terrain hikes
- The aforementioned Chacos
2. Long hikes
- Probably the Chacos
3. Tougher terrain
- Altra Timps
4. Backpacking (20-30+ lb packs?) - 10lb BW over here
- Chacos if there is water involved, Timps if not
5. Cold weather use
- Timps
6. Snowy hikes
- Timps for moderate snow. Danner Mountain 600s if it's real wet and deep.
JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding »

I'm using Zamberlan Latemar NWs, and I really like them. This is my third pair from Zamberlan (previously used Evo Lite GTX and Duke GTX), and I'm very happy with what I've experienced so far. The Latemar is a bit unusual by not having Gore-Tex, but that's a big reason why I got them. I'm still breaking them in, and they have about another 50 miles to go.

I live in the East Bay of the SF Bay Area so I don't have much of a need for hiking boots with a waterproof liner, especially if the hiking boots have all-leather monowrap upper. I do like hiking in big ass boots, however.

Return to “Gear”