what is the best gps device?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

what is the best gps device?

Post by RowdyandMe » Jan 05 2014 6:41 pm

I am looking to get a gps hand held device. I know there are a lot out there. So I guess what I really am looking for is the biggest bang for my buck.
any input would be great thanks
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: what is the best gps device?

Post by Alston_Neal » Jan 23 2014 6:07 pm

Alston Neal wrote:
PLC85501 wrote:@Alston Neal
Holy, Pumpkin!! You posted at 1742 hours... wife got you stranded at the shop (because you probably don't drive, either... ;) )!?
Yes art walk night....the Mrs. is making me talk to the people who are walking in.

FriendofThunder, I went to untrusted-spam-site and downloaded just AZ. So I think I'll just get the Garmin SW, it's got to be easier
Wow I didn't type that how cool! OK I'm heading to Garmin tomorrow. Thanks hikebot, you're very cool...... :?
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Jan 23 2014 6:18 pm

Alston Neal wrote: I went to untrusted-spam-site and downloaded just AZ. So I think I'll just get the Garmin SW, it's got to be easie
I believe I have the very software you are referring to; I rather like it...You really ARE technically challenged, aren't you!? ...and here I've been thinking it had to be an act to garner sympathy.

Now that I'm local (relatively speaking), I'll have to make you my weekend charity project - teach you how to use a computer (and a cell phone... if your wife lets you borrow hers).

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jan 23 2014 6:39 pm

azbackpackr wrote:What's Basecamp? What's Mapsource?
Believe old eTrex users have to use one of these to transfer files.
No clue what Hank or others with modern gps units use it for, curious to know myself.
I haven't used anything but Route MGR for years and do a fair amount of planning and hiking.
The 3D views in TOPO! were nice but I got sick of losing my data when changing computers. In Route MGR it's anywhere you have internet.
CannondaleKid wrote:yet taking into account how much of the screen is used for buttons the usable space is a fraction less.
The map is 100% screen unless you want other stuff on top.
kingsnake wrote:Touch screen is a non-starter (affected by scratches
Myth in my experience... my last Oregon was ridiculously scratched and functioned no different than new. Now you may have trouble seeing the screen. On my current Oregon I took Bruce's advice and use clear packaging tape on the screen to protect it. Dirt cheap, replace as needed.
kingsnake wrote:and, as my iPhone has shown, impossible to operate with gloves on)
What are you an Eskimo, this is Arizona. Okay, okay.
I don't have an iPhone to test on but...
the end of a pen or a glove without a hand in it does not work on a two year old iPad or two year old android phone.
The end of a pen and a glove work on the Oregon. They both work underwater too, I just checked.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 23 2014 7:09 pm

joe bartels wrote:I do a fair amount of planning and hiking
:worthy: :lol:
joe bartels wrote:use clear packaging tape on the screen to protect it. Dirt cheap, replace as needed.
x2
Highway to hell

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Jan 23 2014 7:19 pm

chumley wrote:use clear packaging tape on the screen to protect it
You guys do realize there are modern alternatives that don't gum up the display with decomposed adhesive !? Coincidentally, they're referred to as screen protectors (of course, being the Luddite I am, I have no current need for them...)

chumley

Post by chumley » Jan 23 2014 7:29 pm

@PLC85501
Yes. And they're unnecessarily expensive. More expensive than the single bottle of Goo Gone that I've been using for the last 10 years that isn't half empty yet.
Highway to hell

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Jan 24 2014 5:19 am

Labor is an expense. I'd rather pay for a screen, if one is available (like on my iPhone). :)

Joe: "I ... do a fair amount of planning and hiking."

You don't say. :D

Joe: "Bruce's advice and use clear packaging tape on the screen to protect it. Dirt cheap, replace as needed."

I've used cut out squares of saran wrap, taped to the sides, to avoid stickum residue on the screen. (my reason for not using clear tape.) Did you get any residue with clear packing tape? :-k

I think I may get the Garmin 64S. I did not realize this, but apparently it was just relased last week. (Which would explain why it is listed on the Garmin site, but not REI's.) I'll be the first kid on my block to own one! :y:
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Jan 24 2014 9:30 am

kingsnake wrote:I think I may get the Garmin 64S. I did not realize this, but apparently it was just released last week.
I was going to ask what the GPSmap 64s was all about (guess it must be the newer Garmin technology replacement for the 62 series).. way too expensive for these new release units and always having many firmware problems to deal with and ongoing updates from Garmin to download.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jan 24 2014 10:20 am

Lyding says I don't baby the gps ( my previous Oregon )
kingsnake wrote:I've used cut out squares of saran wrap, taped to the sides, to avoid stickum residue on the screen. (my reason for not using clear tape.) Did you get any residue with clear packing tape?
The tape on mine was ready for a change after twenty hearty hikes ( 4 or 5 months ). The "Scotch Moving & Storage" tape peeled off without issue.
DSC00082.JPG
before w/ lyding approved nicks & scratches
DSC00085.JPG
peeling off abused shield
Garmin 64S
looks like Garmin found a couple good additions
- 20% quicker initial lock-in using Russian satellites
- iPhone email & messaging so your phone stays out of the elements
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Jan 24 2014 11:47 am

joe bartels wrote:before w/ lyding approved nicks & scratches
:lol:
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Jan 28 2014 3:25 pm

:SB:

Call me demanding, call me unreasonable, I have a standard: Something works first time, out of the box, no endless googling, or it is :pk: .

So, to add to my new camera woes, I am now able to add new GPS woes. To wit: My Garmin 62S, upon connecting to the USB cable, which was already connected to my Macbook laptop, asked me if I wished to wished to use mass storage. Yeah, whatever. Click yes. Bad, bad, mistake. Very bad. :o I am now unable to physically manipulate the GPS in any way; none of the buttons work do a :pk: thing while connected to the USB. Oh sure, power is on; it shows a USB symbol, but that is it. And if I unplug, it powers off. Wash, rinse, repeat. :x That did not happen with my 60csx; that unit would automatically switch from battery to USB power on the fly when the cable was (un)plugged, and furthermore would allow me to page through the menus and do things to it while running off USB power. Which my brand spanking new :gun: 62S heaving pile does not.

-----

In fact, it powers up as soon as I plug in the USB cable; it does not wait for me to press the power button. That also is different than my 60csx, and may be further symptomatic of the brand new 62s's malfunction ... :cry:

-----

Great, now it won't power up *at all* from battery (i.e. USB disconnected). That is a wonderful new development ... :roll:

-----

So :pk:ed off and desperate that had accidentally put batteries back in same direction. Corrected. Powers up without USB cable, but still has same do-nothing USB symbol problem when cable plugged in. (And also fails to appropriately switch power source on the fly.)

-----

Tried both #3 and #4 on here, with no difference in USB cable connected behavior: http://garmingpsmap.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jan 28 2014 3:57 pm

mass storage means it acts like a hard drive
if you want USB to act as a power cable then select no

the reason for the option is so that it doesn't mess up and add to the "current" gpx file after a hike ( ie: adding your home location )
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Jan 28 2014 4:02 pm

Only one problem: I can never get it to a place where I can atone for the sin of making that simple mistake, because if I could, I would, and make damn sure I never, ever, *EVER* answered yes to that question again.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Jan 28 2014 4:16 pm

kingsnake wrote:In fact, it powers up as soon as I plug in the USB cable; it does not wait for me to press the power button. That also is different than my 60csx, and may be further symptomatic of the brand new 62s's malfunction ...
What Joe says and it is not a malfunction and it is not a 60CSx, your new unit it is a 62s and is a redesign with a number of enhancements you will learn to like in time..trust the many users who rated this unit a 4 on a scale of 5.

Put the batteries in and turn it on (without the USB cable hooked up) and go to the "setup page" and select the "system" icon and go in and change the interface to "Garmin Spanner". Now plug it back up with the USB Cable and it will still automatically come on and when the "go to mass storage" option comes up, say NO and then the computer powered/lighted display unit should come up allowing you to view all without the batteries on and then prepare to get more confused as you learn the new design.

If this does not happen the way I describe above, then change the system interface back to what it was set at, then send Garmin technical support an inquiry or breakdown and read the 62s manual section(s) that pertain to your problem issues for getting started :)
Last edited by Grasshopper on Jan 28 2014 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Jan 28 2014 4:24 pm

Praise Jeebus!

Will you marry me?

-----

If it's not one thing it's another. Now, when I start BaseCamp, an "Alert: There was an error communicating with your unit" message, despite the USB being appropriately plugged at both ends. (Indeed, BaseCamp has activated both the upload and download to GPS buttons.)

-----

Downloaded & installed Garmin WebUpdater as BaseCamp said update was available for 62s. (How it could determine that without being able to detect the device, I have no idea.) Shutdown, the restarted MapSource. Clicked the red exclamation Notifications button, it went through its deal ... and can't detect device. Sure, I'll try again. Click "try again", same negative result. Now Notification says there are no updates, despite failing to actually update. :?

Useability is more important than gee-whiz-bangery ...

-----

Turning GPS on and off, dis/reconnecting USB cable (at both the GPS and Mac end), multiple times, no change. GPS still not detected. Google not helping. Finder see the GPS no problem ...
Last edited by kingsnake on Jan 29 2014 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 29 2014 8:41 am

@kingsnake

I feel for you man...been there before..except I am so overwhelmed by all the messages and errors at times that I could not possibly articulate them on a forum post..but I am slowly getting better, grasping the lingo and figuring out ways to trouble shoot my issues...I think I need a MAC... :(

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jan 29 2014 9:20 am

kingsnake wrote:In fact, it powers up as soon as I plug in the USB cable; it does not wait for me to press the power button. That also is different than my 60csx, and may be further symptomatic of the brand new 62s's malfunction ... :cry:
Don't say I didn't warn you... (see my post halfway down the previous page) that is my biggest complaint with the 62 as well.
CannondaleKid

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Jan 29 2014 9:24 am

I also notice that when the BaseCamp upload/download buttons are active, and I click the upload button, that only the "[ ] Tracks" and "[ ] Send maps with MapInstall when done" are active on the "Garmin GPS Transfer" popup; the "[ ] Routes", "[ ] Waypoints and Geotagged photos" and "[ ] Garmin Custom Maps and Imagery" are disabled. This is also unchanged despite powering down/up GPS, (un)plugging the USB cable (at both ends), hard booting the GPS, multiple times, etc. :cry:

chumley

Post by chumley » Jan 29 2014 9:32 am

Sometimes older is better. At least that's what 1-800 keeps saying. ;)
Highway to hell

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Jan 29 2014 9:38 am

Widowmaker wrote:I am looking to get a gps hand held device. I know there are a lot out there. So I guess what I really am looking for is the biggest bang for my buck. any input would be great thanks
We've turned your original post above into a problem solving thread for the GPSMap62 series :lol:
What "best" GPS Receiver have you decided to buy? or are you still :? ?

Return to “Gear”