Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

delorme inreach

Post by RowdyandMe » Apr 15 2014 12:40 am

I am think about buying the delorme inreach. Anybody have? I would like to get some input on it. I know it's not a gps. I am looking at it as a safety device.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=hikearizona ... ikearizona
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Dave1
Articulate Adventurer
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: what is the best gps device?

Post by Dave1 » Apr 15 2014 12:12 pm

Widowmaker wrote:I am think about buying the delorme inreach.
I've had the inReach SE for about 6 months and am happy with it. I used to use a SPOT so its nice to have 2-way text messaging now. I haven't had any problems sending or receiving messages, even in canyons. Battery life is good, about 90-100 hours per charge. It is expensive though, I have the middle plan and it's about $33 per month. When you look at their monthly plan price structure, keep in mind that they tack on the same taxes and fees that the cell companies do.

friendofThundergod
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Apr 15 2014 1:14 pm

@Dave1
Is there a monthly charge and an additional charge for usage, ie: sending out messages? or is it all wrapped into one monthly bill?

Dave1
Articulate Adventurer

Post by Dave1 » Apr 15 2014 3:15 pm

Depends on the plan. With the one I have I get 40 free "type on the fly" messages and unlimited preset messages per billing cycle.
Attachments
inReach.PNG

wha
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Arizona

Post by wha » Apr 15 2014 9:06 pm

Those plans have gotten a lot better. Is there delivery confirmation for the Preset Messages? And I assume they include a gps fix. If so, it's getting hard not to justify moving up from a Spot.

Dave1
Articulate Adventurer

Re: delorme inreach

Post by Dave1 » Apr 15 2014 10:57 pm

@w h a
It keeps a history of all messages sent and received. It also has a screen with basic location info: coordinates, elevation, speed, heading, accuracy.

Dave1
Articulate Adventurer

Post by Dave1 » Feb 17 2015 1:44 pm

My InReach SE shut off while on the trail this past weekend and I couldn't get it to turn back on. The battery meter showed plenty of life last time I checked it so I had no clue what was wrong. Well apparently it has some sort of bug. Delorme's website shows the soft reset procedure: Hold down the "X" and "down arrow" buttons simultaneously for 60 seconds. This worked for me and the unit seems to be working ok now. Of course I didn't know about the reset until I got home. Luckily I didn't need to send help message. If you have an InReach, you may want to remember the reset.

toddak
Solo Adventurepelli
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Feb 18 2015 9:36 am

For a true "safety device", I think the personal locator beacons give the best chance of quick rescue when the doo-doo hits the fan, so when I'm headed "out there" I carry an ACR PLB-375 for peace of mind. GPS plus direct contact with SAR via two global satellite systems. Pricey to buy, but no subscription fees, and if you ever do need to use it they replace it for free. But there's no back-and-forth messaging, trip logging, etc, it's strictly an emergency-only distress signaler.

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RowdyandMe » Feb 18 2015 10:05 am

@toddak
toddak wrote:it's strictly an emergency-only distress signaler.
This is one reason I went with the Spot. I don't turn it on until I need it. But mostly it keeps my wife and son happy just in case I am running late they want tot know.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Feb 18 2015 10:24 am

toddak wrote:... it's strictly an emergency-only distress signaler.
That's no longer entirely true. There is a program by which you can use the self-test feature to send the equivalent of an "OK" message. It uses power, so you probably wouldn't send them very often.

toddak
Solo Adventurepelli

Post by toddak » Feb 18 2015 10:35 am

@big_load
Is the program to send a message something approved / provided by ACR, or has someone figured out a clever technique? I'd be interested in any info you've got.

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Feb 18 2015 11:01 am

@toddak

it'll kill your power. I wouldn't mess with it. After researching all my options, I bought the ACR. I spent a lot of money for a device that will send out the strongest signal on the market for 30 hrs. with a 6 year battery. I feel it would be unwise to compromise that. If you want to send out messages, get a SPOT or a DeLorme (though, you'll be transmitting with half the power at best).
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RowdyandMe » Feb 18 2015 11:19 am

@Tough_Boots[@toddak
What I like the most about my Spot first I always carry it with me. Second I never turn it on until I am finishing my hike and then I turn it on and send I ok . The reason for this is to make sure it is working properly. If I am out late on a hike and my wife doesn't hear from me she worries, so the Spot puts her at ease and for that its worth the extra money for yearly service, at least for me. :y:
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Feb 18 2015 11:33 am

@Widowmaker

definitely different tools with differents strengths and weaknesses. Though, with that said-- I would go the Delorme over the SPOT anyday. The Delorme offers more and sends a stronger signal.
--bill callahan

Grasshopper
Detailapelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Feb 18 2015 3:58 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:After researching all my options, I bought the ACR. I spent a lot of money for a device that will send out the strongest signal on the market for 30 hrs. with a 6 year battery.
Since ACR is not the only recognized PLB supplier in this market, in your research conclusions I'm just curious how you ranked the PLB I decided to buy back in Dec'10 ? Was it even included in your research analysis? :)
My PLB: Kannad XS ER GPS
(a high end PLB unit with good power output (5 watts) and a good antenna to transmit for ~48hrs to get my distress message out..my first unit battery will expire in March'16)
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Feb 18 2015 7:30 pm

@Grasshopper

I would say they are similar enough to not warrant the Kannad retailing for $200 more. Both are 5 watts and have a 406 MHz signal with a 121.5 MHz local homing signal. The ACR beats the Kannad in regards to positioning (66 channel GPS to Kannad's 50). Depending on where you get your info, the Kannad is up to 48 transmission hours but a minimum of 24 and the ACR just claims an average of 30 hrs. They both have pretty much the same battery life. You have a SPOT, too, if I remember correctly. Seems like you have all you bases covered and a small fortune in PLB's in your pack :D
--bill callahan

Grasshopper
Detailapelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Feb 18 2015 8:17 pm

@Tough_Boots
T-hank-S Kyle.. I knew you did a thorough analysis before deciding on your ACR ResQLink 406.. I was just curious. I own the Kannad PLB only and not a SPOT (I don't have enough love to warrant a SPOT) :( ;)
PS- Wish Joe B could move a few of these (I'm guilty) "off topic" PLB forum comments to a PLB forum subject thread..
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Feb 18 2015 8:47 pm

toddak wrote:Is the program to send a message something approved / provided by ACR [?]
Yes, there's info about it on their web page. Tough_Boots is right, though, I don't use it because I'd rather save the battery for emergencies. My loved ones are trained to deal with no word from me until I'm supposed to be out.

http://www.acrartex.com/products/catalo ... s/406link/

toddak
Solo Adventurepelli

Post by toddak » Feb 18 2015 9:39 pm

@big_load
Ah yes, the 406link service, for a fee, and they don't seem to mention the effects on battery life. Agreed, best to consider it emergency only.

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RowdyandMe » Feb 18 2015 10:20 pm

So here is my question. I have spot which I love just because when I am late I can send a message that say this. I am ok I am still hiking which puts my family at ease.
So if I can do that why can't I send a text via gps using my phone?
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Return to “Gear”