delorme inreach

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

delorme inreach

Post by RowdyandMe » Apr 15 2014 12:40 am

I am think about buying the delorme inreach. Anybody have? I would like to get some input on it. I know it's not a gps. I am looking at it as a safety device.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=hikearizona ... ikearizona
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Grimey
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: delorme inreach

Post by Grimey » Jun 23 2018 4:58 pm

I got the inReach Mini yesterday, took it out today for a 17 mile test run. Works really well, pretty nice little device. It is reasonably small, just hangs essentially unnoticed on my pack. I am mainly using the phone app for the messaging, which works very well. I like the confirmation that a message has been sent, and notification when one arrives. I am definitely liking it more than my SPOT tracker.

RowdyandMe

Post by RowdyandMe » Jun 23 2018 5:32 pm

@Grimey
I have a spot 3 and I always knew when it was sent. Of course now there the new SpotX. And Iridium go is also small but more expensive. All of these units use the Iridium Satellites.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

KBKB
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by KBKB » Jun 24 2018 6:01 pm

When I use my Garmin inReach, I tell it to start tracking, then put it in my pack and forget about it. There have been several times when my wife, who is home trying to keep an eye on where I am, has not gotten updates to the track points - until the end of my hike. It seems that it buffered them up and then sent them out at the end when I took it out of sleep mode. I have a feeling that it might send them out in a more timely fashion if I were to use it throughout the day. When I pair it with my phone, it seems to work okay. But I also check my phone every now and then to make sure that it's been sending out points.

Anyway... it doesn't leave me with a warm feeling about the device. When it doesn't work, it's never obvious to me what it is that I did or didn't do to cause it to not send out regular tracking points so that my wife can follow my progress.

RowdyandMe

Post by RowdyandMe » Jun 24 2018 7:14 pm

@KBKB
On the Spot3 it has a little email emblem. I always wait for it to start blinking and when it does I know they got it.
Early on I didn’t check it I just hit send and assumed they got it. Then I just learned to watch for the blinking email. If it doesn’t blink then no one got it.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jun 25 2018 6:39 am

Just wondering... does anyone make sure their spouse who stays home gets their own device?

If your spouse has the need to know where you are at all times, shouldn't turnabout be fair play?

After all, if they don't sit in the house all day waiting for your return, they are probably out and about, sharing the road with inattentive idiots talking/texting on their phones, and thus very likely to be in more danger than you are out hiking.

Think about it... how many folks are killed or injured every day in car accidents? :-k
How many while out hiking?
Tracey and I like our chances hiking much better.
(Let's exclude the idiot hikers, you know, the ones on Camelback @100° without water)

Oh yeah, we shouldn't forget another plus for your spouse having their own SPOT... you'll know where they're spending your money while you're out hiking.
:lol:
CannondaleKid

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jun 25 2018 6:59 am

CannondaleKid wrote:we shouldn't forget another plus for your spouse having their own SPOT... you'll know where they're spending your money while you're out hiking.
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

garyc57

Post by garyc57 » Jun 26 2018 12:43 pm

CannondaleKid wrote:If your spouse has the need to know where you are at all times, shouldn't turnabout be fair play?
I discovered "Location Sharing" on my Android. Whoo Hoo! Now I know where she is at all times! Or, at least, her phone!

RowdyandMe

Post by RowdyandMe » Jun 26 2018 3:07 pm

@garyc57
That’s why sometimes I forget (lol) my phone and I know it’s at home.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

RowdyandMe

Post by RowdyandMe » Jul 04 2018 4:41 pm

@Grimey
what plan did you get with it?
Rowdy and Widowmaker

RowdyandMe

Post by RowdyandMe » Jul 05 2018 11:29 am

Anybody using the Somewear?
Rowdy and Widowmaker

KBKB
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by KBKB » Jul 08 2018 9:34 am

RowdyandMe wrote:Anybody using the Somewear?
First I've heard of it...

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Jul 08 2018 10:14 am

Nobody is using it yet. They are still trying to raise funding for it.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

RowdyandMe

Post by RowdyandMe » Jul 08 2018 7:42 pm

@The_Eagle
I ordered my and it will be here next month.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

no avatar
ljcygnet
City, State: Payson Area

Post by ljcygnet » Jul 09 2018 6:48 am

Related, has anyone had any experience with the delorme/garmin explorer? Two way communicator + GPS onboard map.

I've never owned a GPS. I'm old school and have gotten along just fine with either a paper topo map or compass, or the method of, "Aaaaaand I think it's probably thaaataway ..." Never been lost. Have explored some "extra" country a few times. LOL.

It might be time to get a GPS though. I've been getting into more and more remote country, and it seems to make sense. I do want to get a two way satellite communicator -- would the extra $200 +/-$ justify an explorer or would I be better off getting a mini plus a separate GPS unit? Factoring in functionality and weight and understanding I'll probably only use the thing to text a quick, "Not dead yet," post to the family and maybe figure out a way up to a ridge when I get tired of bushwacking in a canyon or that sort of thing. And maybe yell for help if I break an ankle or something spectacularly stupid like that, and I can't hop out on my own. (I know the mini can sync with a cell phone, but that seems less than ideal and a potential point of failure on multiple levels.)
Last edited by ljcygnet on Jul 09 2018 6:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Jul 09 2018 7:29 am

@The_Eagle
Yup, pledge $50 and you get buff & stickers, but it still doesn't get you on the pre-order list... :doh:

Crowd-funding can be great, but if this was such a great idea surely wouldn't a venture capitalist have gotten involved?
Especially...
With years of experience building product at Tesla, Apple, Intuit and Broadcom, Somewear Labs is bringing a Silicon Valley mentality to the outdoor industry. (Text from Somewear Labs site)

With an expectation to pledge $319, $399 or more just to pre-order with an estimated delivery into August/September?

Even if I were in the market for a Somewear, I'd wait until it had actually been in retail users for enough time to get real feedback, and of course, be available for sale to all customers without the required pledge tax.
:M2C:
CannondaleKid

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jul 09 2018 7:32 am

@ljcygnet
"Never been lost. Have explored some "extra" country a few times. LOL."
It's always more fun and exciting that way isn't it. :-k :DANCE: :scared:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

RowdyandMe

Post by RowdyandMe » Jul 09 2018 4:04 pm

@SuperstitionGuy
I have never been lost either but I have been injured.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

RowdyandMe

Post by RowdyandMe » Jul 09 2018 4:05 pm

@SuperstitionGuy
So we really don't need search and rescue then.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

no avatar
ljcygnet
City, State: Payson Area

Post by ljcygnet » Jul 09 2018 7:36 pm

@RowdyandMe
Actually, the reason I want a two way communicator is in case I do get hurt. I have a solid respect for S&R and while I hope I never need their services I would like to be able to yell for help if I get hurt and can't limp myself to safety.

My question was specifically about the GPS maps on the garmin explorer+, though. I've never owned/used a GPS -- a compass and a topo map has always worked well enough for me. I'm trying to find out if the GPS map in the explorer+ is worth the extra money and weight -- looks like it works out to about $100 extra over the cost of the mini.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 09 2018 8:19 pm

Satellite messengers seem cool and possibly worth the expense for people who regularly hike places without cell service.
Highway to hell

Return to “Gear”