delorme inreach

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

delorme inreach

Post by RowdyandMe » Apr 15 2014 12:40 am

I am think about buying the delorme inreach. Anybody have? I would like to get some input on it. I know it's not a gps. I am looking at it as a safety device.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=hikearizona ... ikearizona
Rowdy and Widowmaker

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: delorme inreach

Post by big_load » Feb 18 2015 10:51 pm

@Widowmaker
You could send GPS coordinates and text by phone if you have line of sight to a cell tower and enough power to reach it. However, you can't transmit to satellites without the right hardware.

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Feb 18 2015 10:55 pm

@Widowmaker

your phone has capabilities to receive satellite signal-- not communicate with it.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

wha
City, State: Arizona

Post by wha » May 23 2015 9:18 am

The SE and Explorer models are 25% off ($225 or $285) at REI during their anniversary sale through Monday. Now might be the time to buy if you've been considering one. I think they are usually excluded from "Coupons" and other sales.

azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Jun 14 2015 11:50 pm

Been digging into the Inreach, looks good. Not sure why the cheapest plan would be insufficient, it's pretty close to the SPOT annual fees.

I am on my 3rd SPOT Connect and frankly just tired of trying to make the Bluetooth functionality work, it's crap. Constantly fighting it to connect, and stay connected. Been hanging on thinking Spot would come out with a new, improved product, but it's been a long time now and no Connect replacement.

Anyone else have an Inreach, and can give your feedback? What's the difference between it and the SE?

I'm getting close to selling the Connect and getting an Inreach. So nice to know if I ever needed rescue, I could actually communicate two-way and know when someone would arrive.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

wha
City, State: Arizona

Post by wha » Jun 15 2015 10:45 am

I recently purchased an inReach, but I have not activated it yet. I think the base plan is sufficient, if I go over 10 text messages in a month, it's probably important and I'll pay the $0.50. For most things the preset messages will be enough.

I don't believe they sell the "inreach" any more, just the explorer and SE models. The Explorer adds rather basic navigating ability over the SE. There is a comparison on http://www.inreachdelorme.com/why-inreach/ .

Mostly I'm posting to say Delorme is doing their summer inreach rebate through the 27th.

RowdyandMe

Post by RowdyandMe » Jun 15 2015 5:36 pm

Well I have a Spot Gen 3 and as time goes on I learned a lot more about using it. I really like and now when I hike I never turn it on unless I need to send a message to my family. And when I do I watch the little email button on it and I do not move until it blinks and when it blinks I know my family knows exactly where I was when I sent it out.
My family had me get this for them so they won't worry about me. But on the otherside which most people don't think about and that is what if you run into someone thats hurt bad. Do you live them and try to find help? With my Spot I can send for help with out leaving them behind.
Yes I have heard negative things about the Spot but I did read every page of the owners manual. I know it may not work on cloudy days or if I am really deep in the Lost Dutchman Mine.
So I just think about it before I do it. And I do not get under a tree in a lighting storm while I golfing.
Last edited by RowdyandMe on Jun 16 2015 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jun 15 2015 5:42 pm

Widowmaker wrote:I know it may not work on cloudy days
the word cloud isn't in the user guide
https://www.findmespot.com/downloads/SP ... _Guide.pdf
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » Jun 17 2015 7:22 am

Well, I couldn't resist and had to jump on a new InReach SE last night. Planning some multi-night backpacking in the white mountains area soon so that seemed like a good enough excuse.

Right off the bat I activated it in the REI parking lot and sent some test messages. The GPS lock was FAST (just a few seconds it seemed) and accurate. The coords it put on my map were dead on accurate down to which parking spot I was standing in, and whereabouts in that parking spot. A subsequent test from the same spot only showed about 2 feet of variance.

Messages send quickly too, in both directions. Just this morning I tested it from my office (3 story building, my office it on the top floor, flat roof is mostly wood/tar paper) and even at my desk it gets a full 3D gps fix and sends/received messages in about 50 seconds.

The nerd side took over though... I originally figured I'd save some money by going with the freedom plan with 40 free messages. I realized there's no way I won't be using/overusing the hell out of this, so I switched it to the standard plan with unlimited everything (not the top plan though as 2 minute tracking intervals don't really blow my skirt up... 10 is plenty.)

Expensive toy, but I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces soon. Really glad I opted for this instead of what would have become my 3rd SPOT device (previously used the gen 1 and gen 2 models.)

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » Jun 22 2015 10:39 am

...and the InReach met and exceeded my expectations.

This weekend saw me and a friend backpacking around the Hannagan Meadow area from Friday morning to Sunday afternoon. I haven't really figured out how to write up and log the trip yet so no log yet but lets just say that it was a trip where I was very glad to have the InReach option on hand.

Firstly, the coverage was top notch. It took me a bit to figure out the ideal orientation for the antenna when at camp, but basically pointing straight up yielded almost instant signal lock every time, if it hadn't already established communication before that. The terrain was pretty brutal and there was no shortage of trees trying to interfere as well as steep canyon like valleys and it never seemed to have a problem getting messages in or out.

Aside from one instance where the routefinding was going very badly, a second case for two way comms presented itself on day 2. As we were ascending the valley, i turned to take in the view while pausing on the steep climb and noticed that the skies had turned hazy. A quick message sent to a friend in town asking them to look up any fires nearby on inciweb did return results of a near-ish controlled burn that was likely the cause of the haze. It was damn nice to be able to confirm that instead of becoming Bambi trying to outrun a forest fire.

Route tracking was set to every ten minutes and message sync was continuous,l for the duration of the trip. I had a usb battery pack to keep things topped off at night but based on my experience id say itll easily meet the advertised 100hr runtime at full tilt. Scale back the breadcrumb pings and message checks a bit and it would surely increase runtime.

Overall, I'm loving this device. Also very glad i opted for the unlimited plan as it was fun to be able to communicate in ovcasion and to rub in the trip awesomeness to those not there.

nonot

Post by nonot » Jun 22 2015 7:26 pm

It's always satisfying when you actually are happy with an expensive purchase!

Your description makes this device sound like it is for text messaging when you are out of cell-range. Let us hope some HAZ members who are rather attached to text messaging (cough: chumley) never pick up on this :lol:
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » Jun 22 2015 9:32 pm

Lol, it does seem to be the teenage girl satcom method of choice =)

That said, it's worth noting that the messaging, while being two-way, does require initiation on the inReach end of the game first. The device doesn't have an email address that can receive a message, nor does it have its own phone number that can be texted. I suspect this is partly to keep traffic limited to persons you want to have using up your battery and precious quota, and partly as a cost saving measure that keeps DeLorme from having to acquire and provision pricey phone lines.

There are basically three ways to have messages come to you in the woods...

Option 1 (no particular order here): If you enable it in your account settings, the generic shared map page can have a button that anyone can click on, and fill out their message to you. (You can also password-protect that page if you want to.) They do have to provide a reply phone number which pretty much has to be a cell phone since it will function using normal text messaging thereafter.

Option 2: You can send someone a message from the device (or via paired smartphone which is much quicker/easier) via text message. That is to say that the recipient will get it on their mobile phone. They can then reply to that message as much as they/you want. The number they are replying to is NOT assigned to your device though. There's an explanation of the process on the DeLorme forum, but basically when you initiate contact, the servers create a record of the recipients phone number, your device's unique network ID, and the phone number that the server picks to send the message to your recipient. When they reply back, it uses that info and the inbound caller ID information to route it back to you wherever you may be.

It sounds overly complicated, but works really well in practice and is the quickest way to establish a communications channel that can be used for back and forth chatter.

Option 3: You send someone a message from the device via Email. They get an email and inside it is a link to a DeLorme page. It'll show your location on a map and provide a text box they can type in to reply to you. If you reply back, they get another email and the cycle starts over.

This method might be easier for non tech savvy recipients, or people who can't/won't use SMS. (My own mother has a cell phone, but the day she figures out how to type out text messages on it will likely arrive sometime after cold fusion and world peace. And perhaps unicorns flying out of a monkey's ***. =)

RowdyandMe

Post by RowdyandMe » Jul 01 2017 9:56 am

Ok, it's time for a new locator beacon.
Any suggestions?
Rowdy and Widowmaker

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jul 01 2017 10:15 am

@Widowmaker
So... what happened to your Spot Gen 3?
CannondaleKid

RowdyandMe

Post by RowdyandMe » Jul 01 2017 10:31 am

@CannondaleKid
I still have it but they raised my rates to $200.00 per year. I have had it about three years and now it's time for a new device.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

flagscott
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by flagscott » Jul 01 2017 10:44 am

Ever look into a Personal Locator Beacon? It doesn't have an "okay" signal or texting or any other useless (imo) features, but there's no subscription fee. We have the one of the ResQLinks--it was like $250.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jun 18 2018 7:38 am

The Garmin inReach Mini - It’s light (3.5 oz), diminutive in size, pairs with a smartphone for easy text messaging, interacts with social media (geez....really?), provides tracking information for loved ones, and has a long battery life. (Several days on 1-hour tracking interval)
kurt

KBKB
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by KBKB » Jun 19 2018 12:07 am

FWIW...

Despite some problems in the beginning - mostly likely due to my not understanding how things work - my Garmin inReach has been working pretty well. When I do a hike that's a bit more adventurous than normal, my wife has been really happy that she's able to keep track of me throughout the day.

xthine
City, State: Sedona, AZ

Post by xthine » Jun 22 2018 2:34 pm

I have one, on a monthly subscription although I only use it once or twice a year. They have different subscription plans, maybe it's time to change mine. I used to take it with me a lot when I first started hiking but as I've started becoming familiar with the trails, and started trail running I do not see any reason to bring it around with me anymore. From what I heard from family, the tracking works great. I have also been able to send messages to them without problems. I did drop mine from my pocket and the screen cracked, haven't bothered to get a new one. Screen is still readable, probably not water resistant anymore.

Pivo
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Pivo » Jun 22 2018 6:47 pm

@xthine
This is where youtube is your friend. I have replaced my standalone Garmin's screen cover successfully via youtube. I would recommend using clear nail polish on the screen cover where it fits into the housing to give it that water seal.

RowdyandMe

Post by RowdyandMe » Jun 22 2018 8:03 pm

My contact with my Spot 3 runs out in August and I am looking at some new.
Spotx is out and a new compact garmin is also out plus a indruim device. Indruim which has the satellites that the other two will run off.
I just wonder which one will work the best.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Return to “Gear”