Outsak wire mesh bags (animal resistant food storage)

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
ddgrunning
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Outsak wire mesh bags (animal resistant food storage)

Post by ddgrunning » Jun 15 2015 3:52 pm

Anybody have one of these? http://www.simpleoutdoorstore.com/outsa ... containers

The GC backcountry office ranger recommended these to protect against ravens/mice while on day hikes away from camp on backpacking trips in the canyon.

Other recommendations for animal-proofing your food/stuff while away from camp?

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Outsak wire mesh bags (animal resistant food storage)

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jun 15 2015 4:21 pm

That is what I have always used in the Canyon. I usually use the Medium size. And hide it or hang it. My hiking buddy rigged a fishing swivel so that when we hang it the varmints can't really operate on it. I have heard that given a chance the ravens will try to work their beaks into the mesh to spread it. They can't really get to the contents but they could damage some ziplock containers and risk contaminating your food. I remember problems at Upper Tapeats and Lower Tapeats with mice. You shouldn't have as much of a problem at Surprise. At Hermit I had not cleaned the bite valve on my hydration bladder. A mouse or mice chewed half the bite valve off. I should have wiped it with an alcohol wipe to clean it before going to sleep. My hiking partner on that trip slept under the stars and felt a mouse nibbling at his mustache. He woke up at that and had problems falling back asleep. Bottom line - clean all traces of food off of your equipment and face.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 15 2015 5:15 pm

I don't have that particular Brand, but I have a Steel Mesh Rat Sack from REI....Identical to what you're showing there....I like it, works great and it's Light...I haven't had anything attempt to access it (that I know of, lol). I've heard it's pretty indestructible for everyone except Ravens, so if you're in Raven Territory you would want to Hide it, not Hang it....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

wha
City, State: Arizona

Post by wha » Jun 15 2015 5:47 pm

I have an Outsak UL that I used for a while. Disliked it for two reasons. First, it would sometimes wear holes in ziplock bags. Second, it is flexible but still rather stiff. If you have a large pack it's not so much of a problem, but not so good when trying to cram it and other gear into a smaller one. I bought the critter version of the Ursack. More money, a few more ounces, but no problems with holes in bags, and easier to pack.

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Jun 15 2015 6:05 pm

I have something similar. Works well against mice and squirrels. For canyon ravens though, I wouldn't recommend you leave it in plain view unattended, best to hide it from view. And don't do hide it while they watch you...canyon ravens are too smart for that.

The key is not to leave your food in it in your pack when backpacking, the steel mesh will do a number on ziplock and other types of bags that contain your food.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Jun 15 2015 6:22 pm

I have the Armored Outdoor Gear rat sack they sell at REI. I've definitely seen mice crawl all over them and never had them breached. I've never had a problem with ravens but I'm sure given a few moments-- they'll get what they want. I wrap mine around my tent poles when they're in my pack and never had it damage anything.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jun 15 2015 7:24 pm

See a mouse trying it's hardest to get in right here. http://hikearizona.com/photo=285577

Works great against mice. BTW mice climb trees, so hanging your food isn't always a good option.

I've heard that ravens will have a tough time getting into one of these rat sacks if it is hanging loose. If it is on the ground they will manage to peck through the mesh, but hanging they can land on it but won't have the leverage needed to get through it without it being on the ground. I've never had that theory tested, but that's what I've heard.

Obviously if you pile rocks on top of it, it will be protected from both small ground dwellers and ravens.
Highway to hell

wha
City, State: Arizona

Post by wha » Jun 15 2015 7:37 pm

nonot wrote:The key is not to leave your food in it in your pack when backpacking, the steel mesh will do a number on ziplock and other types of bags that contain your food.
:doh: I have to admit, I never thought of that.

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Jun 15 2015 7:54 pm

Here's mine being tested at Hermit Camp!
O_3483-24813_1366601394-09.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Where is the "dislike" button?

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jun 15 2015 9:52 pm

nonot wrote:he key is not to leave your food in it in your pack when backpacking, the steel mesh will do a number on ziplock and other types of bags that contain your food.
I have both a ratsack and an outsack. I have never had a problem with ziplocks. I usually have Mountain House dehydrated food, clif bars, ziplocks and my spork in the mesh sack so maybe the combination has protected my ziplocks all mixed in. Maybe if I only had ziplocks that might be an issue, but I haven't seen it.
chumley wrote:Works great against mice. BTW mice climb trees, so hanging your food isn't always a good option.
That's why Morel has rigged ours with a leader and fishing swivel. The mice can't get to the sack. Maybe I should tell Morel to patent his device and start selling it. It is creative. But I would think that anybody that fishes should be able to rig this. And sometimes for the night we hang it between trees like you would hang a bear canister - if the bears were really short :) like mice.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 15 2015 10:14 pm

I guess I've never stored my Food in it while it's in my Pack...My Food is Separate in the Pack and I just put it in the Sack to store it when we have a Camp set up...The Sack folds up nicely and actually goes in the Side Pocket on the Outside of my Pack, with my Tent Poles....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jun 16 2015 9:11 am

ddgrunning wrote:Anybody have one of these? http://www.simpleoutdoorstore.com/outsa ... containers

The GC backcountry office ranger recommended these to protect against ravens/mice while on day hikes away from camp on backpacking trips in the canyon.

Other recommendations for animal-proofing your food/stuff while away from camp?
Ravens can and do open pack zippers.
Cookie tins work well (square or rectangular ones fit better in most packs) as does merely hanging a standard nylon bag using salt water fishing line or weed wacker line. A 3" to 4" plastic lid with a hole in the center part way down will seal the deal from the mice.
As previously stated, hanging the bag is imperative to its success at defeating critters.
If you do hiking outside of Arizona (or plan to someday) you may consider an Ursack, and kill two birds with one stone as they are critter-proof AND bear-proof as well when used correctly. (dead link removed)
kurt

Return to “Gear”