Gear load? What should I take, what should I leave at home?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
SteveHall
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Gear load? What should I take, what should I leave at home?

Post by SteveHall » Jan 12 2016 2:33 pm

I understand that gear loads differ from backpacker to backpacker, but I just wanted to get some "OPINIONS" from experienced backpackers of what I should add, change or leave at home for a standard backpacking trip. This of course does not include trip specific gear such as map, food, shelter...

So far I have:

REI Flash 62 pack

Camelbak 100 oz bladder

Nalgene 48 oz bottle

Nalgene flask used for whiskey. I am unsure of the blue protective cover. It does not hold its own weight with the "snaps", and unless you guys have found another use for it, I will probably leave the cover at home.

Therm-A-Rest Z-Lite SOL regular sleeping pad. I don't sleep well, and usually toss and turn during the night. so I will probably have to upgrade the pad soon. If you have suggestions please let me know.

Therm-A-Rest trail seat

Sawyer SP162 gravity filter. Should I leave the blue bag at home? I hear it will filter directly into a bottle or bladder.

Suunto Baseplate Compass

MSR PocketRocket stove

Snow Peak 450 single wall titanium cup. (I will be using prepackaged dehydrated food bags at least for the first few trips)

Light My Fire spork

Adventure Medical Kit (Ultralight Watertight Medical Kit 3) Should I add anything to this first aid kit?

Ultimate Survival Technologies Spark Force Firestarter

Old school Coghlan's mallet

Black Diamond Headlamp, not sure the model.

ESEE Izula knife

I don't think I will be carrying any rechargeable electronics, but I do have a Brunton solar charger if I need it.

Not all gear is shown in picture.
Attachments
IMG_0944.JPG

DallinW
City, State: Gilbert AZ

Re: Gear load? What should I take, what should I leave at home?

Post by DallinW » Jan 12 2016 2:54 pm

Overall, your setup looks pretty reasonable.
Therm-A-Rest Z-Lite SOL regular sleeping pad. I don't sleep well, and usually toss and turn during the night. so I will probably have to upgrade the pad soon. If you have suggestions please let me know.
I'd recommend the Therma-rest NeoAir X-lite for the pad. It only weighs 2 oz more than the Z-Lite and is pretty comfortable. It'll also keep you a bit warmer because it has a higher R-value.

Things I would leave home:
* Mallet. Use your foot to put down stakes.
* Nalgene bottle. I use Smart Water bottles, but that is partly due to the fact that I use a Sawyer Squeeze as my filter, I have no experience with the Sawyer SP162.
* Flask. Again, I would probably just use a smart water bottles.
* Spark Force Firestarter. In my experience a lighter kept in a bag to stay dry is more useful (we use lighters for more than just camp fires :) ). But, if you have used the firestarter before successfully then I say go for it.
I don't think I will be carrying any rechargeable electronics, but I do have a Brunton solar charger if I need it.
In my experience, solar chargers are terrible to mediocre out on the trail. I've found a battery pack or two (depending on the length of your trip) to be more reliable, convenient, and lighter.

Most of my observations are very nit picky, and based highly on personal preference. Overall, your setup is much better than what most people start out with.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 12 2016 2:58 pm

Hi Steve-

I'm not sure how a noob on site could ever find this, but I try to be supportive and positive so I thought I'd mention that there are some basic articles posted here on a variety of topics.

While some are a bit outdated, they can still provide useful information.

Here's one for Gear:
http://hikearizona.com/article.php?ID=16&O=0

You can select from some of the other articles in the directory on the left side of that page.

Previous discussions on this topic may provide additional information for you:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4929&p=51259
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4109&p=38885
Highway to hell

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jan 12 2016 4:08 pm

I agree with Dallin W on those Points.... Not Sure what's in your First Aid Kit, but some of it may be "Seasonal" and can be left at Home during Certain Times of Year. If there's Adhesive Tape, that gets taken out too...I Roll some Duct Tape around a Toilet Paper Roll and take that instead...Multi-Purpose. I try to figure things out that may be more Multi-Purpose to save Weight, Space and not be Repetitive.... The Trail Seat...Eh...If your Pack is too much, that would be the next Thing to stay Home...You can find ways to sit and be Comfortable without Hauling Something in just for that....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

jonathanpatt
City, State: Portal, Arizona

Post by jonathanpatt » Jan 12 2016 6:58 pm

I agree about the mallet being unnecessary. Your foot or a rock is almost always suitable.

I also use SmartWater bottles—much lighter, easily replaceable if they wear out (but they're quite durable), and they have a very nice tall and thin profile that lets multiple bottles be easily carried in external pack pockets for easy access. The exception would be in particularly cold weather where a Nalgene can withstand freezing and can also be used to put hot water inside as a nighttime heat source.

Be sure to open and look through your first aid kit to see what's inside and decide if you really need it all. Often, first aid kits come with far more items than you'd need at a time, so I tend to just narrow it down to a few of each size bandage, etc., and restock as needed. I often add one or two small single-use tubes of krazy glue for the dual purpose of field repair and emergency wound closure. I've found my personal first aid kit has decreased in size the more I've gone hiking and backpacking. You may find yourself trimming it down as you get more experience with what you do and don't need.

A mini bic lighter is one of the best primary firestarters you can have, and very small and light. They also last almost forever—someone hiked the Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, and Continental Divide Trail with the same mini bic and it still hadn't run out of fuel by the end of the CDT.

I've never used a seat of any sort while backpacking, I just find the nearest soft rock or log. But I know others who love their seats, so it's sort of a matter of personal preference. But if you've got a z-lite already, why not just use that as your seat? You can fold it so you get a little thickness and just sit on it.

SteveHall

Post by SteveHall » Jan 12 2016 7:09 pm

Looks like the seat will be staying home. I got it so I could use it as a cushion on my woody beach chair while rafting, and possibly backpacking. Though it looks like the backpacking part is out.

JasonCleghorn
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JasonCleghorn » Jan 12 2016 7:12 pm

chumley wrote:Hi Steve-

I'm not sure how a noob on site could ever find this, but I try to be supportive and positive
:y: :app:
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 12 2016 7:24 pm

@Steve Hall
You seem to have it down. Maybe a tad heavy with some things and a couple extras that may not get much use, but you will learn what you like over time. I was once told if you do not use something for three backpacks in a row, take it out, unless it is related to first aid of course. Below is everything I brought for a ten day backpack...
Attachments
Backpack_10_Days.jpg

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Jan 12 2016 7:36 pm

If you find you can't get rid of some things, this may work for you. -> http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=160257
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

SteveHall

Post by SteveHall » Jan 12 2016 7:50 pm

The Eagle wrote:If you find you can't get rid of some things, this may work for you. -> http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=160257
Lol! I have a large day Hydration pack I could use to double pack it. Though, I don't like carrying anything I don't need.

johnny88

Post by johnny88 » Jan 12 2016 8:05 pm

I'm guessing you have a sleeping bag, warm jacket, rain gear?

I would recommend reading "The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide" by Andrew Skurka. It's an easy read and a quick way to learn about stoves, fabrics, insulation, basic techniques, etc

SteveHall

Post by SteveHall » Jan 12 2016 8:35 pm

johnny88 wrote:I'm guessing you have a sleeping bag, warm jacket, rain gear?

I would recommend reading "The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide" by Andrew Skurka. It's an easy read and a quick way to learn about stoves, fabrics, insulation, basic techniques, etc
I just got a Marmot NanoWave 55 sleeping bag witch is 1 lb 8 oz. Obviously for summer use. My winter bag is a Ticla and it is huge, so not suitable for backpacking. I have a old Patagonia down jacket, and I have a NRS splash jacket for rafting, but it isn't light weight, so I could use some new rain gear for backpacking. I will read gear guide, thanks for the suggestion.

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Jan 12 2016 8:43 pm

Does Tempurpedic make a sleeping bag?
Rowdy and Widowmaker

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Jan 12 2016 8:47 pm

No mallet.
That spork WILL snap unexpectedly at some point.
When feasible, try a hammock for better sleep.
Where is the "dislike" button?

SteveHall

Post by SteveHall » Jan 12 2016 8:53 pm

cactuscat wrote:No mallet.
That spork WILL snap unexpectedly at some point.
When feasible, try a hammock for better sleep.
Really? The spork seams high quality and pretty damn strong. I have an ENO single Nest, but I have heard that most of the national forests in AZ don't allow hammocks hanging from the trees. Is this not the case?

jonathanpatt

Post by jonathanpatt » Jan 12 2016 9:07 pm

I've never heard of a hammock ban on any USFS land. NPS bans them in some places.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jan 12 2016 9:08 pm

Gave up on sporks after two broke. It's been awhile so I don't remember how each broke. Seems one busted in the pack because I squeezed a two nighter into a camelback hydration pack.

Love my camp chair, an old REI 3 fold.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

SteveHall

Post by SteveHall » Jan 12 2016 9:11 pm

joe bartels wrote:Gave up on sporks after two broke. It's been awhile so I don't remember how each broke. Seems one busted in the pack because I squeezed a two nighter into a camelback hydration pack.

Love my camp chair, an old REI 3 fold.
What do you use instead?

jonathanpatt

Post by jonathanpatt » Jan 12 2016 9:21 pm

I've been using the same Snow Peak titanium spork for years with zero issues. Presumably the only issues are with plastic ones? (Light My Fire makes a titanium version as well.) But I know plenty of people who use plastic as well, so I'm sure you can make it work, and if it ever does break (another use for krazy glue!), try something different?

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jan 12 2016 9:25 pm

The Snow Peak spork. They have "Light My Fire Titanium Sporks" too. The snow peak looked lighter. A quarter in your pocket probably nullifies the whole weight deal.

A real fork and spoon would suffice. However then you're not living the dream, right? :lol:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Return to “Gear”