Gear load? What should I take, what should I leave at home?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
SteveHall
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Gear load? What should I take, what should I leave at home?

Post by SteveHall » Jan 12 2016 2:33 pm

I understand that gear loads differ from backpacker to backpacker, but I just wanted to get some "OPINIONS" from experienced backpackers of what I should add, change or leave at home for a standard backpacking trip. This of course does not include trip specific gear such as map, food, shelter...

So far I have:

REI Flash 62 pack

Camelbak 100 oz bladder

Nalgene 48 oz bottle

Nalgene flask used for whiskey. I am unsure of the blue protective cover. It does not hold its own weight with the "snaps", and unless you guys have found another use for it, I will probably leave the cover at home.

Therm-A-Rest Z-Lite SOL regular sleeping pad. I don't sleep well, and usually toss and turn during the night. so I will probably have to upgrade the pad soon. If you have suggestions please let me know.

Therm-A-Rest trail seat

Sawyer SP162 gravity filter. Should I leave the blue bag at home? I hear it will filter directly into a bottle or bladder.

Suunto Baseplate Compass

MSR PocketRocket stove

Snow Peak 450 single wall titanium cup. (I will be using prepackaged dehydrated food bags at least for the first few trips)

Light My Fire spork

Adventure Medical Kit (Ultralight Watertight Medical Kit 3) Should I add anything to this first aid kit?

Ultimate Survival Technologies Spark Force Firestarter

Old school Coghlan's mallet

Black Diamond Headlamp, not sure the model.

ESEE Izula knife

I don't think I will be carrying any rechargeable electronics, but I do have a Brunton solar charger if I need it.

Not all gear is shown in picture.
Attachments
IMG_0944.JPG

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Gear load? What should I take, what should I leave at home?

Post by nonot » Jan 12 2016 9:27 pm

Ditch these things:
Steve Hall wrote: Therm-A-Rest trail seat
ESEE Izula knife
Brunton solar charger.
Only bring the flask if filled with alcohol, so that might be mandatory :)

Sit on rocks, with your foam sleeping pad if you want. The mallet is unnecessary, use rocks near your campsite. Trade the charger for a spare set of batteries.

The firestarter is unusual, consider trading for a mini bic lighter.

The knife is unnecessary unless you need it for cooking or you are planning on camping in canada and building your shelter out of evergreen boughs. I've used a light my fire spork for years before upgrading to a titanium one, it is fine as long as you pack it so it won't snap.

No new medical supplies.

Need to add a map to go with that compass, a sleeping bag and shelter, a change of socks/underwear, and food. I do like a bring sleeping clothes so not to sleep in sweaty clothes.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Jan 12 2016 9:33 pm

I stopped using sporks and use one of the plastic (lexan?) spoons that cost a buck or two at REI. If that ever breaks, I'll probably just use a plastic spoon from Taco Bell or Rubio's or someplace like that.
Go find a LonelyCache

SteveHall

Post by SteveHall » Jan 12 2016 9:36 pm

nonot wrote:Ditch these things:
Steve Hall wrote: Therm-A-Rest trail seat
ESEE Izula knife
Brunton solar charger.
Only bring the flask if filled with alcohol, so that might be mandatory :)

Sit on rocks, with your foam sleeping pad if you want. The mallet is unnecessary, use rocks near your campsite. Trade the charger for a spare set of batteries.

The firestarter is unusual, consider trading for a mini bic lighter.

The knife is unnecessary unless you need it for cooking or you are planning on camping in canada and building your shelter out of evergreen boughs. I've used a light my fire spork for years before upgrading to a titanium one, it is fine as long as you pack it so it won't snap.

No new medical supplies.

Need to add a map to go with that compass, a sleeping bag and shelter, a change of socks/underwear, and food. I do like a bring sleeping clothes so not to sleep in sweaty clothes.
You don't bring a knife? I use a knife almost every day, so I am surprised by this. it seams like it would be one of the more useful items.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jan 12 2016 9:41 pm

I never used a knife until a friend gave me a tiny 0.6 oz key chain sized serrated knife. I've used it couple times. Could easily get by without but it's not even an ounce.
knife.jpg
Out of curiosity, what are you cutting. Twine, steaks, or ?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

SteveHall

Post by SteveHall » Jan 12 2016 9:53 pm

joe bartels wrote:I never used a knife until a friend gave me a tiny 0.6 oz key chain sized serrated knife. I've used it couple times. Could easily get by without but it's not even an ounce.

Out of curiosity, what are you cutting. Twine, steaks, or ?
Food aside, I cut rope, string, tape, cardboard, wood... Not that I would do all this on the trail, but I would imagine having a blade to trim cord and sticks would be useful.

SteveHall

Post by SteveHall » Jan 12 2016 10:11 pm

What about a scale? Is this something that most backpackers have, or just the ultralight folks that are trying to shed every oz?

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Jan 12 2016 10:16 pm

Steve Hall wrote:What about a scale? Is this something that most backpackers have, or just the ultralight folks that are trying to shed every oz?
I never bring a scale on trail. It stays at home.
Go find a LonelyCache

SteveHall

Post by SteveHall » Jan 12 2016 10:22 pm

rcorfman wrote:
Steve Hall wrote:What about a scale? Is this something that most backpackers have, or just the ultralight folks that are trying to shed every oz?
I never bring a scale on trail. It stays at home.
Why would you need a scale on the trail? I am wondering if I need one for home to weigh my gear.

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Jan 12 2016 10:23 pm

Steve Hall wrote:Food aside, I cut rope, string, tape, cardboard, wood... Not that I would do all this on the trail, but I would imagine having a blade to trim cord and sticks would be useful.
All my cord is cut to length at home, so I've never had to cut any on the trail. I normally carry a Swiss Army Knife Classic which is about an ounce. If I'm worried about pulling cactus spines out of myself, I might carry a Leatherman Squirt instead. It weighs about two ounces. I actually don't remember ever using either of them on the trail. Maybe I cut a fingernail or toenail once with the scissors, or used the fish scaler part to smooth a broken nail.
Go find a LonelyCache

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Jan 12 2016 10:34 pm

Steve Hall wrote:Why would you need a scale on the trail? I am wondering if I need one for home to weigh my gear.
I was being snarky, you don't need a scale on trail unless you want to weigh that big fish you caught along the way.

I find weighing my gear to be very helpful. For example, I can weigh used fuel canisters to see how much fuel is left and decide whether it will be enough for an upcoming hike or if I'll need more. Also, ounces add up to pounds quickly enough and it helps to know where those ounces are coming from.

I have two scales. One, a kitchen type scale that I use to measure the weight of individual items. The other is like a fish or luggage scale and I can weigh my packed pack and see what the total is.
Go find a LonelyCache

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jan 12 2016 10:39 pm

@Steve Hall
rcorfman was just being a smarta$$ about the Scale... :lol: If you've already got a Scale to weigh yourself, I certainly would not buy another... I don't do it every time, but I like to weigh my Pack every once in awhile to see if I have hopefully scaled down the Weight a little bit by making some Minor Changes...Probably the biggest Change I could make to my Pack to lessen the Weight at this Point is a better Sleeping Bag...I'm thinking I could shed at least 1 to 2 Lbs...My Bag is Down, but is still Ancient by Today's Standards. I would probably be Amazed if I were to carry one of the Newer Bags that are around these Days.... :sweat:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

nonot

Post by nonot » Jan 12 2016 11:02 pm

A small pocketknife is useful, I bring one. You don't need a big knife for skinning deer.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 13 2016 5:52 am

I use a Lexan spoon, or even just a little metal spoon if I can't find my Lexan one. I'm of the old school. You don't need a fork.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

autumnstars
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » Jan 13 2016 8:50 am

Going on overnight trips with other experienced backpackers is a great way to pick up tips and tricks.
Agreed with others that you have a pretty good starting place, compared with most. Ditch the mallet for sure, though. The only place I have ever camped with zero rocks was a sand dune, so you can almost always find a rock.
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jan 13 2016 11:37 am

autumnstars wrote:The only place I have ever camped with zero rocks was a sand dune
And it's not like Stakes are going to make any difference there anyway.... :D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 13 2016 11:45 am

friendofThundergod wrote:Below is everything I brought for a ten day backpack...
*neglects to mention he had no food for most of the trip and had to mooch off others on the trail. ;)
Profound observer

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 13 2016 12:20 pm

@chumley
I chose to just attach a pic rather than throw in another shameless plug of my JMT thru-hike, but the food situation is explained in the below triplog :) Either way food is a personal preference, the gear still represents a ten day hike, although, the additional can of gas was over-kill in hindsight...

http://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=35910

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 13 2016 5:10 pm

If you can't find a rock, just lay out your sleeping bag. There will be one underneath it.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jan 14 2016 6:50 am

skillpore wrote:All items are used almost daily and have a purpose and need. I had to use the pliers to cut the license plate off my jeep, when the last screw was so rusted it wouldn't come out.
There just may be a tiny difference between using something 'daily' and using daily while backpacking.[/u]
Taking a license plate off a vehicle somehow doesn't seem to be something one would do while backpacking.
:whistle:
I personally would question the need for two of a number of items... 2 tweezers, 2 pliers, 2 knives, etc. but if you don't mind the extra weight, I say go for it.
:sweat:
CannondaleKid

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Jan 14 2016 7:08 am

skillpore wrote: Also you can use a fork as a weapon if need be.
The superstitions are known for its extremely aggressive spaghetti.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Return to “Gear”