Socks and Sandals

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none

Is it acceptable to wear socks with sandals?

No...it is never acceptable.
56%
Tevas (or similar) with white socks is acceptable
7%
Tevas (or similar) with darker wool-like hiking socks is acceptable
9%
Birks (or similar) with darker wool-like hiking socks is acceptable
5%
Tevas & Birks with white socks is fine
8%
Tevas & Birks with darker wool-like hiking socks is fine
15%

Total votes: 137

ck_1
The OUTSIDE guy
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Socks and Sandals

Post by ck_1 » Apr 23 2002 10:30 pm

I spent Saturday at the Phoenix Bouldering Competition out near Oak Flat Campground north of Superior...I noticed several people, both men and women wearing socks with their sandals...now, I remember my neighbor Mr. Jansen wearing his brown dress socks with leather sandals on the weekends...and as AZ residents, I'm sure we've all seen a snowbird or two with this same combination...but, is it ok?

Tevas with white socks?
Tevas with darker 'hiking' socks?
Birks with white socks?
Birks with darker 'hiking' socks?

I learned recently that Thorlo makes a 'sandal sock'....

So....what's public opinion...is this look acceptable?
'The Journey is the Destination!'

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 17 2006 7:28 am

Abe wrote:
:oops: Ah man, I'm into peace, love, and Bob Dylan. 8)
Sorry, just teasing :wink: . By the way, we have something in common that's very unusual (nothing to do with AZ). You mentioned it in a post a few years back.

no avatar
ralene
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Socks and Sandals

Post by ralene » Jul 08 2009 7:02 pm

Quite frankly, I never considered any outdoor sport to be fashion oriented, but then again I'm not the type who cares what others might think is acceptable or not when it comes to my own comfort in fashion.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 08 2009 7:34 pm

I've never seen this thread before! I have seen this topic come up in other places, with some misguided fashion-victim types saying that they "hate" seeing sandals and socks. Who the heck cares what they hate seeing? These people are so conventional and shallow that it actually MATTERS to them what OTHER people are wearing? Sad...

I don't give a flyin' flippin' rat's backside what this non-style LOOKS like, it's COMFORTABLE, especially in the spring and fall or on cool summer evenings in the mountains. I wear socks and Tevas pretty much constantly, unless it's warm enough to not wear the socks. I don't wear Birkies because I wear Tevas. I wear Tevas because they grip better to the ground and tend to fit me better as well. Chacos are nice too, but I don't have any. I also love flip flops. I really don't like wearing enclosed shoes for long periods of time.
Last edited by azbackpackr on Jul 09 2009 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

dysfunction
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by dysfunction » Jul 08 2009 7:39 pm

they should avoid Europe at all costs :sl:

Which actually wouldn't be a bad thing, they were probably the 'ugly Americans' that I hated because they made living there more... difficult :scared:
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 08 2009 7:52 pm

Oh, yeah, Europeans, very fashion-conscious, don't like us because we wear white tennis shoes and they don't? Again, WHO CARES? I wear what I want to wear and the rest of the world can lump it. To me, fashion is just a game that people play, that I don't want to play. I have never worn make-up in my entire life, and I don't own a dress, I wear sandals with socks and baggy old pants and torn up t-shirts, and I'm 56 years old and yet men still hit on me. Go figger.

I don't like shoes because they are too enclosing, so when it gets cold I wear thick wool hiking socks with my sandals. It has to get down in the 20 degree range before I will break down and wear shoes. It's a matter of practicality, which IS very important to me. I do wear light hiking boots to hike in, but I can hike in Tevas pretty well, have done so, on trail. Off trail it is a bit hard on the feet. Those Chacos sure look nice though, probably a better quality shoe than the Tevas, with better rubber and more arch support.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 08 2009 8:58 pm

azbackpackr wrote:I don't give a flyin' flippin' rat's backside what this non-style LOOKS like, it's COMFORTABLE, especially in the spring and fall or on cool summer evenings in the mountains. I wear socks and Tevas pretty much constantly, unless it's warm enough to not wear the socks.
I don't care what anybody else says, you're starting to make sense to me :)
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 08 2009 9:17 pm

:D
So have you shelled out for the Chacos, Joe? I want some but at $95 they are pretty spendy. They probably last at least 5 years, though, which is how long I like my sandals to last. I make the Tevas last longer by replacing the velcro on the straps from time to time.

base871
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Jul 08 2009 9:19 pm

Ive looked at those chaco's too, but as you said, pricey! A friend of mine who hikes for a living wears only those, and swears by them.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Jul 08 2009 9:27 pm

I'll swear by Chacos too. I love 'em and you can usually find a coupon by searching online that'll help take some of the pocket pain away from buying a pair.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 08 2009 9:31 pm

In response to azbackpackr:
No I haven't even given them a glance I'm so happy with Tevas. Next time I'm in a store I'll have to look as there must be something to all the consensus talk.

Tevas ain't cheap but they virtually last forever in my experience. Believe I've had three pairs since 1995. Couldn't find the normal sticky rubber type I wear in my size in any store last year so I bought directly from Teva. I'm pretty sure it's a dying breed. They make all those butt ugly styles now. I got two pairs of Teva shorts as a gift from a member about four years ago. They were hands down the nicest shorts I've ever had. Of course they don't make 'em anymore :?

In response to base871:
How long has he hiked for a living?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 08 2009 9:41 pm

So you don't think they have lost quality since the company is now owned by Dockers or some such big conglomerate?

I still don't get why anyone would care if someone is wearing socks with their Tevas. It has nothing to do with the old plaid Bermuda shorts and white sox era. I had always thought that virtually ALL backpackers wear sandals with socks in camp when it's chilly, and on the way to the trailhead, etc. It just goes with the territory, especially in the Southwest.

Tevas were invented in Flagstaff, by a river guide, for river guides. Here's some history from their website:

"Founded in 1984, Teva® began with an unassuming Grand Canyon River Guide and an idea that would become the world's very first sports sandal.

The first pairs of Teva® footwear were sold out of a van to friends and fellow boaters at the various put-ins along the river. Coupling the freedom of a flip-flop with the security of an ankle strap, the "Original" was an instant hit and quickly became the shoe of choice within the guide community. As a commitment to our heritage on the Grand Canyon, you can still find styles like the Original, the Ultimate Thong and the Universal Buckle within the Teva® collection today.

From this beginning a culture of passion for the outdoors has defined the Teva® lifestyle. The name Teva®, pronounced "teh'-vah", comes from a Hebrew word meaning nature. The hand in our logo is derived from the symbolic language of the Hopi people. When translated, the hand is a symbol for friendship and the spiral a symbol for water giving us our creed: "friendship with water". "

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 08 2009 9:53 pm

I don't think they've lost quality. The new ones have perfected pure comfort in my opinion. They're slightly thicker to absorb more shock. The straps don't have any sewing in the wrong places. My last couple pairs had some annoying tag that irritated on rub.
azbackpackr wrote:The name Teva®, pronounced "teh'-vah"
If only the world knew this... I changed my original screen name here because nearly every time I'd see other members on trail they'd refer to me as tEEva.

I wear socks periodically on longer or colder hikes.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

base871
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Jul 08 2009 10:56 pm

Joe, he's been hiking for about 6 years. 2 weeks on, 5 days off. I thought about it, but it only pays about 90 bucks a day.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 08 2009 11:05 pm

I quote Spicoli, Righteous bucks! :)
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 09 2009 5:41 am

;) Joe, I know the correct pronunciation myself, but seldom do I pronounce it correctly. I'm not sure why it just sounds better as TEEvas to me, even tho' I know it's not correct. Habit, I guess. Glad to hear the upper-end Teva has kept its quality. Last pair I bought was the cheapest I could find, a lightweight pair, 30 bucks at Sports Authority in Yuma. They are still awfully comfy, though. They do make a great many models.

My son worked for Anasazi Foundation, taking troubled teens backpacking, for a couple of years, 8 days on, 6 days off, sometimes 16 days on, 6 days off. Started out at $95 a day, I think, went to $125 later on. He loved it but said it was hard on him physically--the food, especially. He would lose 5 pounds every week, which he can't afford to lose, would arrive back home starving, eat like a horse for 6 days, then go back out and lose 5 pounds again. Their basic foods are lentils, rice and cornmeal, with a small amount of powdered cheese, etc., pretty much vegetarian. I don't think that food would bother me too much but for a young guy it didn't work well.

They do hire, both guys and gals, from time to time, but it's pretty iffy right now with the economy. You don't get paid right away, either, it seems to me. You sort of need to be living out of your car to get started with them, I think, or have a supportive girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse. (But then you are never home to spend time with your girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse. For some, this may be a good thing! ;) )

writelots
Wendipelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Jul 09 2009 8:08 am

Just to chime in with another opinion, after my beloved Tevas of 5 years gave out, I found a pair of Chacos on the 50% off rack, and I'll probably never go back. I suffer from a couple different foot issues (plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis) and the extra arch support of their foot bed means that I can wear the sandals all day every day without pain, like I had with most sandals. I even have a pair of cute Chaco flip-flops now that I can also wear for hours without problem - and believe me, when I found the angels sang and I almost wept with joy - to no longer be doomed to wearing sneakers and clunky boots!

However, this same support is uncomfortable for a lot of people who I've met, who end up going back to the Tevas. So I guess it depends on what your foot likes. I've also gotten cramps on very cold mornings because the Chacos have such and aggressive arch - my cold feet don't like that big a stretch first thing...

And, I wear socks with them whenever I darned well please. Because my Chacos have a toe loop, I actually wear TOE SOCKS with them. I think once the rest of the world discovers toe socks, they will be the only way people dress.
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Jul 09 2009 10:39 am

...I find sandals provide nice relief from shoe abrasion problems, particularly on longer days where I've been pushing through lots of elevation... I used them for one of the loops on my finger rock hike just to give my feet some variation. It is necessary to have your feet totally broken in and used to them prior to any major effort or the straps will simply take your feet apart... I use Chacos with the toe loop now, but used to simply enjoy flip flops. An added advantage: you really develop superior foot placement skills wearing sandals. less shoe the better!
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

oceanwithin
Kellipelli
City, State: AZ

Post by oceanwithin » Jul 09 2009 3:10 pm

I would say a huge YES to socks with hiking sandals -- especially when doing river hikes -- the only way to go would be NRS Hydroskins (neoprene socks). They prevent blisters and are waaaay up there on the "hiking essentials" list. They look completely dorky but ah, mother nature doesn't care if you're fashionable or not ;)

berkforbes
Goatapelli
City, State: phoenix

Post by berkforbes » Jul 24 2009 12:25 pm

i spent 15$ on some water shoes at walmart, they fit nicley, dont rub, and provide toe and foot protection for river crossings etc. i used to use a pair of tevas, but my toes got banged up on river rocks, and they wore huge blisters on my feet after only a half miles hike, whereas the cheap walmart water shoes allow me to go miles with no lack of comfort. the only down side is that loose gravel and sand gets in them easily, and that is annoying to hike aroud with. thats where a pair of hiking socks come in handy..

that being said, anywhere outside of the wilderness you wont catch me dead with socks and sandals or any other like combo.. for me it defeats the purpose of wearing them, and as everyone else (pretty much) has said it looks plain goofy!
"Rather love, than money, than fame, give me truth."
-Henry David Thoreau

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 24 2009 12:33 pm

my toes got banged up on river rocks, and they wore huge blisters on my feet after only a half miles hike
Sounds like an awesome hike, do tell.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”