Socks and Sandals

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none

Is it acceptable to wear socks with sandals?

No...it is never acceptable.
56%
Tevas (or similar) with white socks is acceptable
7%
Tevas (or similar) with darker wool-like hiking socks is acceptable
9%
Birks (or similar) with darker wool-like hiking socks is acceptable
5%
Tevas & Birks with white socks is fine
8%
Tevas & Birks with darker wool-like hiking socks is fine
15%

Total votes: 137

ck_1
The OUTSIDE guy
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Socks and Sandals

Post by ck_1 » Apr 23 2002 10:30 pm

I spent Saturday at the Phoenix Bouldering Competition out near Oak Flat Campground north of Superior...I noticed several people, both men and women wearing socks with their sandals...now, I remember my neighbor Mr. Jansen wearing his brown dress socks with leather sandals on the weekends...and as AZ residents, I'm sure we've all seen a snowbird or two with this same combination...but, is it ok?

Tevas with white socks?
Tevas with darker 'hiking' socks?
Birks with white socks?
Birks with darker 'hiking' socks?

I learned recently that Thorlo makes a 'sandal sock'....

So....what's public opinion...is this look acceptable?
'The Journey is the Destination!'

berkforbes
Goatapelli
City, State: phoenix

Re: Socks and Sandals

Post by berkforbes » Jul 24 2009 6:13 pm

West clear creek bull pen, 1st of april last year, was my first trip backpacking, went solo.. thought from what i read on the triplogs the tevas would work out, but i just ended up slipping around on the slimy rocks, and as a result landed toe down against river rocks a few times.. then got lazy and decided to hike in them instead of swapping out, and blistered up the sides of my feet pretty bad..
all in all a great trip tho, no better way to learn i guess..
"Rather love, than money, than fame, give me truth."
-Henry David Thoreau

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jul 25 2009 1:04 am

Which model of teva's did you get?

Do the 15$ walmart sandals grip the slimy rocks?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 25 2009 4:39 am

I have had a problem with Tevas where I noticed blisters forming by my big toe joint while hiking Mooney Falls to the Colorado and back. I wrapped the area with duct tape and wore heavy wool socks. This system worked reasonably well, but obviously could use improvement. The blisters were mostly caused by the silt and sand in the creek getting under the sandal straps. Yes, of course the socks got wet, but that didn't bother me.

Incidentally, I don't own a pair of bedroom slippers. When I get up in the morning in winter I put on wool socks and Tevas. In summer I put on Tevas, with or without socks, or flip flops. At one of my 3 jobs I do sewing. I wear socks and Tevas because the owner over-air conditions the place in summer. In winter if it's not too cold I still wear them.

I just hate the constriction of shoes. I also can't abide various other kinds of tight or restrictive clothing and undergarments. It literally makes me feel nervous and distressed. If I have to wear something specific for a job, etc., I can't wait to get home to put on my baggy clothes and Tevas. I have never owned pointy high heeled shoes, either! Fashion is such a silly part of our culture, I think!

Most mornings when I am visiting HAZ I am wearing sandals and socks! :D
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 25 2009 4:41 am

azbackpackr wrote:I have had a problem with Tevas where I noticed blisters forming by my big toe joint while hiking Mooney Falls to the Colorado and back.
Elizabeth you're in luck! berkforbes has the answer, get a 15$ pair of walmart sandals.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 25 2009 5:05 am

Yeah! ;)

Seriously, even if water shoes (whether the expensive yuppy kind or the Walmart variety) might work, they won't fit me. I have far too narrow a foot to wear shoes that can't be tightened with straps or laces. They'd just fall off my feet.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

berkforbes
Goatapelli
City, State: phoenix

Post by berkforbes » Jul 25 2009 7:26 am

Hmm that does seem to be a problem, luckily i have really wide feet, and i actually bought a couple sizes small on the water shoes so they fit more snug. im a 12 and i believe i ended up buying a 10.5.

And in response to you joe, yea they give fairly good grip, i dont think any pair of shoes will completly counter the slipperyness of west clear creek and others, but they are knobby and pretty grippy on the bottom, and more than anything provide great toe protection!

The tevas were actually a pair of columbia (i believe, ~40$) teva replicas. bought them at sportsmans last year. In theory they would be great, but theyre worthless out there...

Id say the only down side with the water shoes is that theyre not the best for lounging around camp, so i always pack a pair of havaianas (cheap brazilian flipflops) in my pack. the water shoes i just hang from my pack.. Combined weight of both pair probably 1#. i dont sweat it..
"Rather love, than money, than fame, give me truth."
-Henry David Thoreau

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 25 2009 7:42 am

berkforbes wrote:im a 12 and i believe i ended up buying a 10.5
berkforbes wrote:The tevas were actually a pair of columbia (i believe, ~40$) teva replicas.
Your honesty is appreciated. I don't have anything to gain by suggesting tevas and realize they are not for everybody. From the repeated praise on Chacos I have to give them a try. I just know that after nearly two decades I've yet to have an issue with bumping my toes... ever. There isn't much better traction in my experiences unless you dive into five-tens which only last a few months.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 25 2009 7:54 am

Joe, you do wear the high-end Tevas also, don't you? Do you wear the ones with the buckles? I have always thought about getting a pair of those, since Velcro doesn't last.

For some people the high arches of Chacos are just what they need, but for others I've heard they actually cause pain. The arch feels weird when you try them on in the store but I was assured by the salesman that they would begin to conform to my foot. Very occasionally Tevas have caused my arches to ache due to less support.

Similarly, I have heard people rave about Keens, and yet others say they gather too much sand and rocks, while hiking and crossing creeks, that are hard to shake out.

A friend of mine (he posts on here from time to time :) ) showed up on a backpacking trip I put together last summer to a swimming hole in the Black River. He wore his Crocs the whole time! He wore them on the trek into camp with his big pack, and also on the dayhike where we had to cross the river about 14 times to get to the swimming hole. He said they were fine!
Last edited by azbackpackr on Jul 25 2009 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 25 2009 8:04 am

Yeah I've pretty much stuck to the Terra-Fi. In water I seriously prefer the salomon amphibians. However once again I only seem to get about three months use out of them before they start to fall apart.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

BobP
Cairn Reaper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Jul 25 2009 8:31 am

joe bartels wrote:I've yet to have an issue with bumping my toes... ever.
I have scuff marks on the enclosed toe part of my Keen's. No way can I wear open-toed my big toes would end up nasty. My problem is I forget to lift my feet at times :)
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 25 2009 12:17 pm

Joe, save the receipts and box, etc. If the straps are coming out of where they are attached to the shoe you can probably still get another pair for free. I know we used to do that because my son always pulled the rear straps out of the footbed. We'd send them to the company (which I think is Dockers?) and they'd send another pair. Did that a couple of times.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 25 2009 1:04 pm

That's an excellent point. Others have told me the same out hiking but it didn't register in my mind. Believe I'll do it! :)
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

ttrottier
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoeniz, AZ

Post by ttrottier » Apr 07 2010 8:49 am

Might give some thought to Watersocks they are cheap and do a pretty good job of protecting your feet. Watch the Bull Pen area for Snakes, I have spotted more around the water than anywhere I have gone. -On a lighter note none of them were poisonous species. Lots of wildlife there too, I sat down to enjoy my hamburger and felt a skunk brush my leg. I tossed the burger in a nearby bush and went the other way, avoided an incident.
Oh and bring a GPS, It's just awkward when you have to eat your buddy.
Tominator

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”