Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
pfredricks
City, State: Glendale, AZ

need a shoe opinion

Post by pfredricks » Dec 28 2003 10:57 am

Hey all-
Need some recommendations for some shoes. My shoes were in bad shape, then became completely shredded this last weekend
I only hike in low quarter shoes.
The lighter the weight the better.
I was wanting Merrill's but have repeatedly heard about the soles unpeeling.

I would like a shoe that has great grip for canyoneering/scrambling, but could be a hiking shoe if need be. Of utmost importance is that I dont want the shoe to fail, eg:sole come off, eyelets pull out, etc

Any suggestions?
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

g

Post by te_wa » Dec 28 2003 11:25 am

merrells are over-rated. I mean, c'mon, even Popular sells them. It really depends on the terrain and weather you hike in. Pete, do you want a leather shoe? Gore tex? or a breathable membrane? If I was to base a shoe on a mid volume foot for the kinds of hikes (if you can call them hikes more like suicide attempts :lol: ) that you do, I would say my first choice is the Montrail Excelerace gtx. Second, the Soloman Expert Mid. Soloman is now part of Adidas, who also owns Arc'teryx. Quality stuff.
:D

pfredricks

Post by pfredricks » Dec 28 2003 11:36 am

lightweight, breathable, some leather is okay
I dont really care what the heck it is made of
oh, and a shoe with good draining abilities

Absolutely must be a low cut shoe though,
no mids or boots

Do those make the cut?
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

HikerInGilbert
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by HikerInGilbert » Dec 28 2003 11:48 am

In response to pfredricks' reply:

Okay. PMFJI, but the Merrill Loden Mid would be a good choice. The way you must go through boots, that is. They're not "really" mids.

BTW, waterproof and draining just don't go together. Sorry. Unless you dump them out once and again.

They're cheap and pretty durable. Make sure you get some kind of transferrable orthotic things though. My feet ache prety good after hitting some of them pointy rocks on the trails. The cheapo orthotics at the nearby Safeway work pretty well.

Tom 8)

HikerInGilbert

Re: g

Post by HikerInGilbert » Dec 28 2003 11:55 am

In response to mikeinFHAZ's reply:

Hmmmm. Obviously Mike makes some decent dinero's. Montrail? Salomon? Disposable eh? hehehe

Geesh. Gotta like it though.

Tom 8)

pfredricks

the shoe dilemma

Post by pfredricks » Dec 28 2003 11:57 am

Thanks for the response-
what is PMFJI? (not too chat saavy)

The rules:
1. must be low quarter
2. unfailingly reliable
3. fantastically grippy sole
4.moderate shank
5. drain well
6. Toe protection
7. the lighter the weight the better

Have to meet all those qualifications!
Have used ACG's almost exclusively in the past.
THey usually have a plastic emblem on the bottom that ruins the traction though

TOm-
who said anything about waterproof and drainable?
It's the voices again, isnt it????? :D

HikerInGilbert

Re: the shoe dilemma

Post by HikerInGilbert » Dec 28 2003 12:01 pm

In response to pfredricks' reply:

Ummm. voices? what? you shudd up. No! you shudd up!

Man dood. You don't ask for much in a boot do ya?

PMFJI = pardon me for jumping in. Fitting eh?

Tom 8)

Shi
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by Shi » Dec 28 2003 12:12 pm

pfredricks wrote:Thanks for the response-
what is PMFJI? (not too chat saavy)

The rules:
1. must be low quarter
2. unfailingly reliable
3. fantastically grippy sole
4.moderate shank
5. drain well
6. Toe protection
7. the lighter the weight the better

Have to meet all those qualifications!
Have used ACG's almost exclusively in the past.
THey usually have a plastic emblem on the bottom that ruins the traction though

TOm-
who said anything about waterproof and drainable?
It's the voices again, isnt it????? :D
Teva makes everything that you are looking for! They are not just sandels. Check out their site and you might find what you are looking for.
Mary
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."

Ancient Indian Proverb

pfredricks

Yes, you are right

Post by pfredricks » Dec 28 2003 12:17 pm

okay Tom
When you are right, you are right.
I do ask too much.
I think I will invest in some of those Solomon water shoes for canyoneering.

THanks Mary-
I'll take a look at them. I am afraid many of the Tevas are too heavy, but, will check it out anyway.

So, now the said shoes dont need to be for canyoneering, just climbing/scrambling and hiking.

-Pete

What about these?
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Product ... &langId=-1

HikerInGilbert

Post by HikerInGilbert » Dec 28 2003 12:23 pm

In response to Shi's reply:

You stay out of this Shi. It's a Man's thing. :D

Actually Pete, that is a pretty good choice for, what is it now?, canyoneering? You're worse than a woman. Ya know that?

8)

Tom 8)

HikerInGilbert

Post by HikerInGilbert » Dec 28 2003 12:50 pm

In response to Shi's reply:

Ok all. You have to understand... Mary is waaaay into the sandal thing. She eeven lost her sandal out where you know where. She's recuperating though. Lost one. We will get it back sooner or later though. I think Jim is hot on the trail...

You shuddd up Joe. :wink:

Some of us need "real shoes on our feet". Okay? You guys never cease to amaze me.

Tom 8)

Shi

Post by Shi » Dec 28 2003 12:57 pm

HikerInGilbert wrote:In response to Shi's reply:

You stay out of this Shi. It's a Man's thing. :D

Actually Pete, that is a pretty good choice for, what is it now?, canyoneering? You're worse than a woman. Ya know that?

8)

I'll ignore this comment, as I wasn't talking to YOU! Besides, you know comfort is my utmost goal.....oh, is that the woman thing you were talking about?

Seriously Pete, Teva is making everything for the feet now. I was really amazed when I was looking at their site and now have hiking shoes and sandals. They have some great canyoneering shoes too that look SWEET! This is something on my "wishlist", only because I don't do much water hiking, yet! Mary
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."

Ancient Indian Proverb

Davis2001r6
City, State: Bordeaux, France

Post by Davis2001r6 » Dec 28 2003 12:57 pm

I just got a pair of Salomon Tech Amphibian's. They are definitely Low Cut, Breathable, and Ligthweight. I haven't really got a chance to test them on anything major though. just a few couple mile hikes and they have been fine. Also check out Gearreview.com they test out a lot of shoes.

Shi

Post by Shi » Dec 28 2003 1:03 pm

Ok all. You have to understand... Mary is waaaay into the sandal thing. She eeven lost her sandal out where you know where. She's recuperating though. Lost one. We will get it back sooner or later though. I think Jim is hot on the trail...

Some of us need "real shoes on our feet". Okay? You guys never cease to amaze me.
:D Yep, I love my Teva sandals AND shoes! I'm offering a 6-pack to who ever returns my missing teva.....somewhere along the Lost Dutchman Trail from Peralta TH to First water TH. It was seen, but mistaken as a childs sandal....I just have small feet! Mary

Ancient Indian Proverb

HikerInGilbert

Post by HikerInGilbert » Dec 28 2003 1:12 pm

Shi wrote:

:D Yep, I love my Teva sandals AND shoes! I'm offering a 6-pack to who ever returns my missing teva.....somewhere along the Lost Dutchman Trail from Peralta TH to First water TH. It was seen, but mistaken as a childs sandal....I just have small feet! Mary
hehehehe. No comment. Do ya believe it?

Tom 8)

Marlee
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by Marlee » Dec 28 2003 3:39 pm

Pete, my 5.10 Canyoneers have been able to handle everything I have thrown at them. They stick to everything like glue (you find yourself doing alot of moves you otherwise would have been scared to try like jumping onto a very slanted rock, etc.)
Waterproof and draining (regardless of whoever said that) - Yes, made of mesh and have holes in the soles for water to go through

and your rules:
1. must be low quarter - not the "Canyoneers", but after checking out my shoes and speaking with the company, Aaron got a pair of "5.10 water tennies" that apparently are very similar but not with the high ankle
2. unfailingly reliable - ABSOLUTELY.
3. fantastically grippy sole - Nothing better - same rubber used for climbing shoes
4.moderate shank - what is shank in the shoe world? My mind is taking me elsewhere :wink:
5. drain well - (And you wondered who said "drainable"? :) Anyway, Yes, no water stays in these things.
6. Toe protection - Yes.
7. the lighter the weight the better - Unbelievably light!

AK did a similar posting about shoes, you might want to find that too.

AK
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by AK » Dec 28 2003 5:46 pm

Hey Pete Marlee is right. I have the 5.10 Water tennie that I use for canyoneering and they are great. What sold me on them was the Stealth Rubber soles. They stick to wet rock like flys to flypaper. Like you I really prefer low top shoes. These seem to be somewhat of a mid but its all mesh material. Check them out. ( 2018-08-28 dead link removed )

If your looking for a good all round hiking shoe that is not meant for a lot of water use also look at the 5.10 Mountain Master. I wore these on our little adventure on the Mother Lode and other hikes and I'll never buy another brand. The comfort and grip on these suckers is unreal! ( 2018-08-28 dead link removed )

By the way, Hi Marlee!
Aaron

"Can't think of a good signature quote" - Me

bryanmertz
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by bryanmertz » Dec 28 2003 8:59 pm

I would try on a pair on Montrails!

http://outside.away.com/outside/bg2003/ ... _gear.html

BKM

azrocks

Post by azrocks » Dec 29 2003 12:13 pm

The Salomon Tech Amphibians have outstanding traction wet or dry, but I wore a hole in the mesh on the first trip, also the heel strap needed constant adjustment. I still like them, though, for comfort and confidence. They were equally good with and without socks, let in some gravel but quick to slip off and rinse.
The 5.10 Canyoneers are definitely #1 for canyons, but the black neoprene can get uncomfortably hot in the AZ sun, so wear gaiters.
I've blown so many shoes canyoneering that last trip I picked up a pair of HiTec Traverse in the Popular sale for $19.99. They were supremely comfy with excellent traction and cleaned up like new after a week in Zion canyons. They don't drain as well as a mesh, but I wasn't troubled by that. Highly recommended if you can find them.
I have had good and bad Montrails. The bad had a creative sole pattern of pimples and chevrons that was a disaster for grip, though I wore them a lot as they were so comfortable. The good had deep rectangular lugs.
I wore 5.10 Guide Almighty with dotted C4 on the 4peaks. They edge nicely, but I missed having lugs on the loose ground.
I got a free pair of Nike ACG Switchblades at the PBC, which have the best sole I've ever seen, with sticky rubber with lugs and edgeing ability. They are perfect for short trips with easy climbing, but max out at about 4 miles, as they have no cushioning and flimsy uppers.
What sole pattern are the Mountain Masters ?

AZ_Hiker
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by AZ_Hiker » Dec 29 2003 1:45 pm

I have had a pair of Merrell Chameleon Stretch like shoes.. hmm let me try that again.. I have a pair but they are an older version.. they have been the most comfortable shoes I have ever had.. almost like wearing house slippers but... and this is a big big but... they are not meant for going up and down all day long..

they do not cinch down real tight so when going up or down steep grades your feet will move around in the shoe. I wore mine to hells gate last summer and lost both of my big toe toenails as a result.. painful lesson but I think most hikers in Arizona learn that one the hard way.. so I don't think these are what your looking for..

as for the quality of Merrell's... I have never heard of them falling apart and have had 3 pairs of them.. they have all been great if used for what they were meant for.. but thats only my experience.

I have a pair that I wear almost everyday just around town and i love em. that does not mean there aren't better shoe (dead link removed) these are them.. I can tie them down tight and they are gripy... is that a word?
AZ Hiker
Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean there not after you!

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”