Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
SomaSonia
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Need Shoes

Post by SomaSonia » Oct 29 2006 7:48 pm

Hello,

This is my first post and I am new to this site. I guess I would have to call myself a beginner to intermediate hiker. I live in the Tempe area and I am looking for some hiking companions.

But first I need to get some shoes. Does anyone recommend some brands that will not sap my wallet. My budget is quite limited right now. I just need something besides my nike excercise shoes that I have been using.

Thanks!

Sonia
“Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.” -Rumi

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 01 2006 6:58 pm

I'm with Teva Joe... Since I was introduced to Teva's 3+ years ago, they have been the footwear of choice.

When I moved here I wore my Merrills (the ones I'm wearing in my profile pic) smooth in less than 6 months. But after 3 years on my first pair of Teva Terra-Fi's, I hiked the Supes Ridgeline in March of this year and only coming down Siphon Draw did I notice they were losing their grip. I bought a new pair in April but still wear the first pair on any hike that I am not rock climbing.

Although people say they'd worry about thorns/cholla/cactus spikes and such, I can honestly say they haven't been a problem for me. The spikes I inevitably get are usually on my body somewhere. The spikes that are still a ways under the skin and will take some time to work out are in my right calf.

As far as ankle support, I don't believe the high top boots are any better for your ankles. They just allow the ankles to get weaker. I used to have nothing but trouble with my ankles and I have arthritis in them, but since I've worn the Tevas, they are getting stronger all the time. Probably because with no support, the ankles eventually got stronger. Just like lifting weights, if you never stress a muscle, it cannot get stronger.

Almost forgot to mention, the Terra Fi's have had more grip for me than any of the dozen or so hiking boots I've done true hiking with.

Last bonus... I no longer worry about losing nails on the downhills, no more blisters under the toenails. I just bought Teva's that are slightly long and no worries.
CannondaleKid

AZHikr4444
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Re: Shoes and boots

Post by AZHikr4444 » Nov 01 2006 7:46 pm

al1inaz wrote: Would low gaiters keep the spines from going through the mesh on your Vasques?
I'll bet they would! I'll have to try it! Thanks for the tip Al!
A true outdoorsman, when treed by a bear, sits back and enjoys the view.

Lost? Hell, I ain't never been lost. But I have been a mite confused for a week or two.
-The Mountain Men

Trishness
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Nov 01 2006 9:22 pm

I think it's really a matter of personal preference and what feels good on your feet. Go get fitted with several styles of boots/shoes and then look for them on the Internet. Mike mentioned sierratradingpost.com and I would recommend that as well.

My preference is for mid boots because I have a bad ankle and it just feels better on my foot and more supportive of my ankle. I've worn cheap Hi-Tek boots for years ($20 at Big 5 Sporting Goods) but recently bought a pair of Merrell Mesa Vents for $22 on eBay (retail for $80)......these boots are GREAT and feel like slippers.

:mrgreen:
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Nov 03 2006 8:43 pm

CannondaleKid wrote:Last bonus... I no longer worry about losing nails on the downhills, no more blisters under the toenails. I just bought Teva's that are slightly long and no worries.
If you haven't already, then check out this HAZ article on Boots.
http://hikearizona.com/dex2/article.php?AID=1

My 2cents. GOOD FITTING
If you are considering trailrunners or boots, before you buy,
1) measure your foot sitting and standing. One foot may "flex" more than the other and this might affect your fitting.

2) SOCKS. Get good socks. When you try on trailrunners or boots, use the socks in which you will hike. I won't get into the "controversy" over socks with sandals. :lol:
a) I've found that I need double socks for the distances I like to hike. Friction (& sweat) causes blisters and double socks solves this for me.
b) Hope I don't bore you, but I feel I need to share this personal anecdote as a warning - my wife bought expensive golf shoes in the same size as her workout shoes. But the socks she wears for golf are different from the socks she wear for workouts. After losing both big toes, she bought new shoes 1/2 size longer and has been very happy ever since. (and after 6 months had re-grown her toenails).

3) Make sure you have room in the toebox. Good stores like REI, AZ Hiking Shack, Summithut etc have a sloped ramp where you can try to jam your toes to the front of the trailrunner/shoe/ (teva :lol: ).

4) Make sure the heel is tight enough but not too tight.

5) seriously consider buying sole inserts. Because my left foot "flexes" more, I wear good inserts.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 04 2006 5:06 am

I just received my Dunham Terratryders I ordered from shoebuy.com I am going to have to send them back. Although they are labelled 2A Narrow, they clearly are not narrow, and must be mislabelled. Also they are really cheaply made. I could live with that, though, if they were actually the right size! Buyer beware when you go to these discount online places, I guess. I am going to go to a city one of these days and try trailrunners on, get some that fit!

Meanwhile, I'm happy in my Vasque all-leather waffle stompers. They fit so well I sent them away to be resoled last year. The new soles I got from Dave Page, Cobbler, in Seattle, are better than the originals, as they go up the sides more.

Davis2001r6
Italian Kokopelli
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Nov 05 2006 3:52 pm

Just saw in the Sports Authority add this morning. They have the New Balance 471's (Mens) and 472's (Womens) Trailrunning Shoes on sale for $29.99, regular price $49-59.

Last time they were on sale for $39.99 I bought two pairs. I've been wearing these shoes just about exclusively for about 2 years now. From the Grand Canyon and Mt. Whitney 4 day backpacks to Rim-Rim dayhikes they have served me well.

I went and picked up 2 pairs. I think it's about time I retire some of the old ones I have sitting around though.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 06 2006 4:44 am

davis2001r6 wrote: I think it's about time I retire some of the old ones I have sitting around though.
Yeah, have you noticed people have been making excuses about why they've stopped coming over to your house?

:D

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”