Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
pixelfrog
Scary NRA Militia Type
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Trekking Poles

Post by pixelfrog » Jun 03 2002 11:40 am

Hi all, My birthday's coming up and I've been wanting a set of telescoping trekking poles so I can ramble easier through creeks and such, can anyone recommend a good brand and model?

The only thing I don't really want is the cork handles, I'll wreck those quick. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Paul

MaryPhyl
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by MaryPhyl » Jun 06 2002 1:02 pm

Those electric carts look cool to me--I always liked a free ride on the end of the basket when I was a kid :) I have not been shopping in a couple of months but when I go I will definitely use one--just grin and hot rod it!!

montezumawell
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Montezumawell, AZ

Post by montezumawell » Jun 15 2002 9:57 pm

tempe8 wrote:I've got an REI model (made by Komperdell) called the Traverse. They seem to have them on sale frequently and I picked mine up for $55. These are the only ones that I've used, but I can't live without them...Mine have a hard foam type of grip and suspension.

...Get a pair, any pair, and you'll wonder how you lived without them on big hikes.

--
Kevin
Man, we couldn't agree more with this sentiment. We don't wonder how we lived without them on "big hikes," we wonder how we lived without them on ANY hikes. Granted, we won't take them on an urban walk but with anything else, we consider them mandatory. We encounter lots of people who snicker at the poles and some who are outright contemptuous of them--maybe "hautily aloof" would be a better description. Who cares?
We are out walking around to impress anybody. If we were, we'd probably stop buying our clothes in Goodwill stores! But we digress. Anyway, poles are the way to go. They are worth the money no matter what the price. We wouldn't have siad that a few months ago but now we are totally convinced of their value. For any doubters out there, just take advantage of REI "total satisfaction" guarantee. Buy a couple of poles. Try them out. Pick a steep hill somewhere and check it out. If you don't like them, take them back. Chances are 99 out of 100 people wouldn't dream of returning them after giving them a genuine, real tryout. What have you got to lose? (Besides your ankles, knees, wrists, elbows, etc.)

J&S

PS--We tried to "cheap" this deal by buying ski poles for three bucks at a yard sale. I got this really weird pain in my left arm--the one that carries the pole. Just wouldn't go away. Mysteriously, it vanished only a week after buying "real" trekking poles. Hasn't been back. Is it a coincidence or is it the trekking pole? Hum....

no avatar
jchang16
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Smyrna, GA

Trekking Poles

Post by jchang16 » Jul 25 2002 10:14 am

I was just wondering if anyone uses trekking poles when they go hiking or backpacking? On my most recent trip to Mt. Baldy, I passed by a number of people who asked me about them and if they worked. I am curious to know if I am a rare breed to use them. When I first started hiking my knees would be a mess after a short hike, but now after i use the poles my knees arent as bad. Just curious.

GTG_AZH
AZH Group Coordinator
City, State: Peoria, AZ - Originally from Rocket City USA

Poles and such

Post by GTG_AZH » Jul 25 2002 11:39 am

I like my poles a lot. They support me and my overburden of weight on my back. They definitely save the knees and sure help on the uphills.

They're also really usefull if you take the rubber tip off to expose the sharp point and use them to poke Hooli (CJG) in the back to prod him along till he gets moving forward or out of the way :wink:

GTG
'Alright now look over here and smile! and pretend like you're having a good time!'

evenstarx3
Wonderful Wizard of AZ
City, State: Sun City West, AZ from CA

Post by evenstarx3 » Jul 25 2002 11:44 am

The one time a rubber tip came off GTG's trekking poles he nailed one foot to the trail and couldn't understand why he was walking in circles :twisted:
Hooli, aka Trihairopelli
http://members.tripod.com/~evenstar/
http://www.arizonahikers.com/
"They say the dog is man's best friend.
I don't believe that. How many of your friends have you neutered?"
--Larry Reeb

GTG_AZH
AZH Group Coordinator
City, State: Peoria, AZ - Originally from Rocket City USA

Right on it as usual.

Post by GTG_AZH » Jul 25 2002 11:47 am

CJG is right on the ball like a chicken on a june bug as usual.

Shouldn't you be out chasing a golf ball or something? And don't ask me if I should be working either.

GTG
'Alright now look over here and smile! and pretend like you're having a good time!'

Pellegrino
Dancin' Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Pellegrino » Jul 26 2002 8:14 am

I wouldn't be caught hiking without my hiking STICK. I know I should probably go spend $120 on a pair of super cool trekking poles but I love my stick that I cut off a fallen tree somewhere high up in the Rockies. I got some funny stares on Camelback by the well dressed and coiffed girlies who ran past me 10 or 12 times by the time I almost made it to the top. But ah well, I would be more embarassed falling down the hill cuz I lost my balance.
Kelly :)

Climb every mountain, ford every stream
Follow every rainbow, till you find your dream

MaryPhyl
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by MaryPhyl » Jul 26 2002 8:24 am

I have always been an anti stick person but with my leg acting funny on me I think I am going to borrow my husband's sticks.

no avatar
Kathy Taylor
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by Kathy Taylor » Jul 26 2002 11:06 am

LOVE the poles! My husband and I are novice hikers and find the poles great for up and downhill. They give the arms a little more of a workout, too. :)

Snick33
Mt Peeley Advisor
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Poles

Post by Snick33 » Jul 26 2002 1:52 pm

I use mine for the stability factor. With two space blankets in my pack, I've always thought the poles would come in handy to help shape a shelter of some sort.
Mother nature seems to like humans, and not just because they taste like chicken

sherrealest
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by sherrealest » Jul 26 2002 7:00 pm

I use mine on both day hikes and when backpack camping. I once came across a fellow on horse back that asked "Are you going skiing?" My husband said he was making fun of me. Thank god I'm not smart enough to get be offended :roll:

So, if I look silly, then I look silly but my knees are greatful and now I get an upperbody workout when hiking those steep trails. Plus I feel more stable and move a little quicker on rough terrain. I love mine.

I use the straight plastic handle with shock asorbers.

no avatar
RU Kidding
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RU Kidding » Jul 30 2002 9:31 am

I use a Bogen monopod as a hiking stick. I always take my digital camera along & the monopod helps me steady the camera. When not shooting pics it makes a nice adjustable stick.
Randy in Phx.

bryanmertz
Exploring Kokopelli

trekking poles

Post by bryanmertz » Nov 29 2003 12:33 am

On some of my recent hikes I've had some pain in my knees - actually the hamstring behind the knee. This could be due to age, lack of exercise, not stretching properly, etc. I have yet to be to a doctor - so this could also be a sciatic nerve issue (as I do have lower back pain on occasion.)

I've heard that trekking poles can assist in relieving the pressure on the knees some during hikes. How many of you use poles? Have you experienced a benefit?

Abe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe » Nov 29 2003 6:12 am

8) DISCLOUSURE: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.

Trekking Pole,,,,hey? Well, if you do not mind, I will get back to that later. I will share some thoughts based on your comments:

Age: :o You will get aches and pains as you get older. I got 'em.

Exercise: :rollH: I believe excercise is a lifestyle and as such if a person enjoys hiking/backpacking a person should keep fit and excercise at least three times a week.

Not stretching properly: :oops: I am quilty of not doing this prior to a hike.

Sciatic nerve/lower back pain: :pois: I know the feeling of lower back pain and knee pain, up close and personnal. Abused myself when I was a young man and haven't seen a doctor, so I am sure I will pay for it later in age. However, I do not carry my wallet in my back pocket, haven't done it in ten years, and I do exercise to keep the middle down (I am getting old) so it does not put any undue pressure on my lower back.

Have not seen the doctor: :A2: GO SEE HIM OR HER.

I got my first walking stick when I was 35 and was planning to go in the Grand Canyon for the first time backpacking. The reason for purchasing it was to use it to help steady myself with backpack going down to the river. Later I did purchased a trekking pole, but I rather use my walking stick. I have to say it is my best piece of equipment/companion and I have commented on the many uses on other posts. However, I did not buy it to help relieve knee pain/lower back pain while hiking and I believe it is the wrong purpose to aquire one for that reason. Although, admittingly, I have used my stick after hurting myself while hiking and backpacking.

In closing, if you are experiencing knee pain/ lower back pain recently on some hikes I would suggest seeing a doctor and see what you can do.

AK
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by AK » Nov 29 2003 2:18 pm

Well, well, well. If it isn't the elusive Bryan Mertz. Where you been hiding man? I was wondering what you have been up to just lastnight. I was up at Four Peaks (brewry).

I use a pair of trekking poles and they help me out quite a bit. I have knees that aren't what they used to be. Their quite useful when I'm at the end of a long hike and my legs feel like jelly. :sweat: Extra support.
Aaron

"Can't think of a good signature quote" - Me

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Nov 29 2003 2:22 pm

Yeah - see the doctor first, then get to a physical therapist who hikes. Trekking poles-
Pros- definitely assist in balance in backpacking esp on rough trails; good probes on those pothole, creek, river hikes; Can use as a defensive weapon with the pointy end; use as a makeshift splint or crutch; assist in a pinch for a support for your tent if need be.
Cons- you can trip on those buggers in some situations, scrambling over boulders; you can wedge them in a crack and pull yourself off balance, you can wedge it so they bounce back and wack you in the head (I have personally experienced all of these). They make unattractive marks on slickrock- although you can use rubber tips, improves traction and eliminates that problem.
Mine are battle scarred, I really use them for backpacking only, very rarely on dayhikes unless I know the terrain is going to be a long knee buster, as a lot of the hikes in Arizona are.
Get into the gym once you get this cleared up, as an older hiker I know conditioning does make a difference.

BoyNhisDog
Footloose Adventurer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by BoyNhisDog » Nov 29 2003 4:37 pm

After you get warmed up stretch your hamstrings for at least 20 to 30 seconds and do it every once in a while when hiking. Tight hamstrings can make your knees hurt. Trekking poles are wonderful out here in the land of verticle extremes and rocky trails.
Glen

montezumawell
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Montezumawell, AZ

poles

Post by montezumawell » Nov 29 2003 8:14 pm

They are good things to have but not a "silver bullet."
We each carry ONE, usually compacted and in our hand, rather than extended the way most people do. When we come to some trail areas with uncertain footing, etc. we will stop, extend the poles and use them.
Then, we "shrink" them back up and hike on. They are great to have with loose and slippery footing or on extended downhill stretches. They don't do much otherwise. We'd recommend buying a basic pair of REI's. We think Komperdell makes them for REI. Good value. Excellent warranty.

J&S

PS--they work great keeping unruly dogs at bay.

bryanmertz
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by bryanmertz » Nov 29 2003 9:49 pm

Thanks for the tips - I went out today for a little 5 miles with no trouble - the hike that really got me was Humphrey's - I think I will get a trekking pole and stow it if needed.

Hey AK - give me a shout if you want to hike the Peaks (brewery) anytime.

Bryan

Rodney
Creative Wolfopelli
City, State: Indian-a

Post by Rodney » Nov 30 2003 1:42 am

In response to bryanmertz's reply:

Hey Bryan, are you an actual ICQ user? :o

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”