Trekking Poles

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
pixelfrog
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Trekking Poles

Post by pixelfrog » Jun 03 2002 11:40 am

Hi all, My birthday's coming up and I've been wanting a set of telescoping trekking poles so I can ramble easier through creeks and such, can anyone recommend a good brand and model?

The only thing I don't really want is the cork handles, I'll wreck those quick. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Paul

ellehcim
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: trekking poles

Post by ellehcim » Nov 30 2003 2:49 am

In response to bryanmertz's reply:

I like them alot for the AZ trails. You can muscle up the inclines, use the springs to subtle the declines, and have a lot of extra protection of a mis-step if you are moving fast on all hiking trails.

If you are doing something more rugged than hiking, they are an encumberance.

Abe
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe » Nov 30 2003 6:18 am

bryanmertz wrote: the hike that really got me was Humphrey's
Heck ya. Humphrey's beat me up going up and down. Took a power nap on top and when I got to the trailhead, I was feeling it, so I took another power nap on the hood of my ol' pick-up I had at the time.

hegstrom
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by hegstrom » Nov 30 2003 7:08 am

We just purchased poles prior to backpacking the Grand Canyon (North Rim to South Rim) this past October (great trip BTW :) ). I got the Leki Super Makalu Cor-Tec AntiShock poles, 2 for each of us.

We used them only once before the GC on a day hike, with fully loaded packs. We are just day hikers and the GC was our 1st backpack trip. After that day hike test with the poles I thought for sure that my wife would say, "I'm not taking those things they are too much trouble." She usually has immediate reactions to many of my ideas. This one surprised me, because she really liked them. We were wearing our backpacks that day to test everything, including the weight. She found that they came in very handy several times.

During the GC crossing they were immeasurably useful. My wife's right knee became very sore during the several days we took to cross from north to south.

I had done a lot of internet research on the poles and came to the conclusion that 2 were better than 1 and that the Leki's mentioned above were probably the best.

Because of the knee pain experienced I also did some internet research on that as well and came up with a knee strap device from Cho-Pat that is supposed to help.
( 2018-08-28 dead link removed )
Has anybody tried one of these or heard of any actually experiences with these devices?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those that can read binary ... and those that can't.
http://www.loveliberates.com

mtoomeyaz
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by mtoomeyaz » Dec 01 2003 9:21 am

I generally find them to be a pain in the rear. I have borrowed one for water crossings and will admit it was useful for that. Think fast moving, knee deep water, with a heavy pack. Make a mis-step on a slippery rock and you're sure glad to have another point of support. Otherwise, I have not found them useful and don't own one, but I do know people whose opinions I respect that do like them for long (i.e. heavy) backpacking.
Mike T
-------------------------------------------------
Less is more

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Dec 01 2003 9:31 am

I have used them all the time for hiking (day) in the Grand Canyon. They help in the slipping down the trail and for uphill my problem is that my legs are short and I used to find myself pushing down on my leg to go up a step in the canyon. they help alot with the logs in the trail both up and down the canyon....I am lost with out them if I forget to bring them.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

jmangum
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by jmangum » Dec 02 2003 10:03 am

I had 4 knee surgeries by the time I was 21, since then I've continued to hike and within the last couple of years my knees would get really sore during and after a hike. My brother (who has never had knee problems) bought a pair two summers ago when he hiked Rainier and suggested I give them a try. I bought a pair and swear by them. It seems after a long backpacking trip, everything but my knees are sore. On occasion they can get in the way - but the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion.
"You know, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't work."
-Calvin

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Dec 02 2003 8:24 pm

Before I buy a pole, what would you suggest for an over the counter pain relief. My right knee has been bothering me since Sept. At times it feels like a pulled hamstring. Exercise the leg and I get relief. Only bothers me at rest such as sleeping and sitting. I have a Tracks camara stick that I some times use when crossing water and dry stream beds with lots of cobble.

MtnGeek
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by MtnGeek » Dec 03 2003 6:55 pm

I just bought a pair right before my backpacking trip in Colorado. I did not want to face those mountains without a stick of some sort. My first hike with them was up Camelback Mountain. I took both of them and hated having 2 sticks. Since then I have only carried one with me. I found it quite usefull up in the high country. It helped me cross streams, cross steep snow fields, and I even used it as a break when i went "scree skiing." They came very useful in Colorado. The only time they were not useful was on top of Wetterhorn Peak and Matterhorn Peak. We had to leave them behind since it was rock scrambling. I could not of made a better purchase for that trip. I now have one thats only been used once and one that looks like it's been through hell and back.
Mountains are there to be hiked!

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Dec 03 2003 10:21 pm

I use one trekking pole on all my hikes.......desert or mountain terrain. I find it helps me keep my rhythm and reduces that annoying swelling you can get in your hands and fingers. On the rocky trails in the Supes, it has saved me more than once from taking a digger.

RickInMesa
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by RickInMesa » Dec 04 2003 7:12 pm

I use one telescoping hiking staff, and I know it reduces the stress on my knees, particularly when I'm going downhill. I'll shorten the pole a couple of inches when going uphill, and it feels like I've got a handrail next to the trail -- I push very hard on it when climbing! When cruising along on nearly-level trails, the staff adds its own rhythm to the motion. For a prolonged downhill, I'll lengthen the staff a little bit to make it easier to reach downward to the next step. I've worn the little rubber "foot" down to an eraser a dozen times now, and proudly replaced it with a new one each time. The only times I'll leave it at home is when I'm going to be climbing something persistently steep (Flatiron, for example) or when I'm headed out with my snowshoes and ski poles.
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves. Edmund Hillary

bzachar
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by bzachar » Dec 06 2003 8:09 am

If you'd like to try a pole free-of-charge, there was a guy who has a hiking equipment rental business that hangs out at the parking lot of the Wind Cave Trail at Usery Park and lends hiking staffs to folks heading up the trail as a loss-leader.

Another inexpensive method to see if a staff will work for you is to make your own. Go to Home Depot, but a wooden mop replacement handle, glue a crutch tip from Walgreen's on one end and a bicycle handlebar grip on the other.

Bill

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Dec 06 2003 9:09 am

I scoffed at poles for a long time, did carry a broom handle for poking at things and just to have something in my hands. Then the second knee went bad, and I had a 5 day back pack planned in Grand Gulch. Physical therapist had no cure, so I sort of impulse - purchased a set of Leki's. Took a while to get used to them, and they are a bit noisy, but now I do not leave the TH without them. Great relief for my knees. They take a little weight off on each step, so let's see, 18.2 miles, 35 inch pace . . . .

That's a lot of total weight removed from the pressure contact point in each knee. And I want to keep doing this for at least another 20 years so, any little bit helps.

HikerInGilbert
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by HikerInGilbert » Dec 06 2003 11:14 am

Sredfield wrote:I scoffed at poles for a long time, did carry a broom handle for poking at things and just to have something in my hands. Then the second knee went bad, and I had a 5 day back pack planned in Grand Gulch. Physical therapist had no cure, so I sort of impulse - purchased a set of Leki's. Took a while to get used to them, and they are a bit noisy, but now I do not leave the TH without them. Great relief for my knees. They take a little weight off on each step, so let's see, 18.2 miles, 35 inch pace . . . .

That's a lot of total weight removed from the pressure contact point in each knee. And I want to keep doing this for at least another 20 years so, any little bit helps.
Bad knees? physical therapist? need for trekking poles?

I beg to differ on that post...

...aid of a "mother ship"?? Now I can agree on that...

Who are ya tryin' to kid Redfield?

:lol:

Tom 8)

MaryPhyl
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Re: Trekking Poles

Post by MaryPhyl » Jun 15 2007 5:16 pm

Boy have I changed my ways. I always tale a single pole now. mp :loh: :loh:

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”