Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Keeping your feet dry

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 24 2008 9:32 pm

Anyone have any ideas beyond plastic baggies inside the boots for keeping your feet dry on an extended period creek-bottom hike. Water is supposed to be ankle deep, and while I've got supposedly water-proof boots, my wife and our friend do not, so they are looking for cheap options. Also is there a backpacking "boot dryer" that runs off small propane cans or anything similar? They're worried about waking up in the morning to cold wet boots after our creek experience.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

fairweather8588
Jeep Bustin' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale

Re: Keeping your feet dry

Post by fairweather8588 » Feb 24 2008 9:42 pm

As for drying them overnight, just put some dispoable handwarmers in you boots and push the tongue of the boot down, that should dry them up before sunrise
No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 24 2008 9:44 pm

fairweather8588 wrote:As for drying them overnight, just put some dispoable handwarmers in you boots and push the tongue of the boot down, that should dry them up before sunrise
Sweet tip. Thanks!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Feb 25 2008 12:25 am

Synthetic socks and old tennis shoes. You feet will get wet, but you shouldn't get blisters.

Bring a pair of dry socks to change into after the hike is done.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Feb 25 2008 7:13 am

To dry wet boots in the field fill a cooking pot with dry sand and heat it up on a stove or fire. Pour the sand into your boots and let them sit all night. Poor out the sand in the morning and magic - dry boots!

And whatever you do be careful with your boots around any kind of FIRE!

I know! :scared:

Read my post under Gear>Shelter, Bags & Camp>My First Hammock> dated February 19, 2008.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”