Hiking Poles

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
fricknaley
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Hiking Poles

Post by fricknaley » Jan 18 2009 10:19 am

Sooner or later I need to start looking into these, so I'd like your advice HAZ. Who here uses them, what kind and what do you think?
hi

dysfunction
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Hiking Poles

Post by dysfunction » Jan 26 2009 5:48 pm

so stow em in your pack and move on. Really not that hard to execute your options ;) besides, if you're properly using the straps, it'd be hard to completely lose a pole
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 26 2009 5:51 pm

e005229 wrote:boulder-hopping
When it gets to the point where you need or want to use your hands instead, most people have enough sense to pack away the poles. Not everyone, apparently. :D

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Jan 26 2009 6:04 pm

dysfunction wrote:so stow em in your pack and move on. Really not that hard to execute your options
I totally agree and this is the reason it is best to own pole(s) that shorten-up for stowing in/on your pack. The more you use them the sooner you will know when you need to use them and when you should not. I own a set but I am a dedicated one pole hiker because I can't coordinate two poles, a GPS, a camera , A/R access to my pockets, and a water tube.. :D
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

snakemarks
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by snakemarks » Jan 26 2009 7:45 pm

e005229 wrote:Seems to me on some hikes that I've been on- going down the Flatiron and boulder-hopping up the creek to LaBarge Canyon for example,they'd be more a hindrance than a help. In fact I followed a guy who had poles down the Flatiron last time I was there and he lost one on the way down. We both watched as it clattered its way down to the end of the slick rock area. Wasn't much help to him down there.
'Dropped', not "lost". Human error - happens to the best of us.

As mentioned here previous, they're not ideal in every situation (what is?). But, on the many occasions when you really want them, you're glad they're there. When you don't, that's what those four little straps on the back of your pack are for. (Hopefully), you don't always use your first aid kit, but you bring it with every time, right?
I'm at home in the wilderness... it's civilization I have problems with! ](*,)

wallyfrack
City, State: AZ

Post by wallyfrack » Jan 26 2009 8:35 pm

snakemarks wrote: you don't always use your first aid kit, but you bring it with every time, right?
You mean duct tape right? 8-[

rushthezeppelin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by rushthezeppelin » Jan 27 2009 12:14 am

wallyfarak wrote:
snakemarks wrote: you don't always use your first aid kit, but you bring it with every time, right?
If you can't duct it.....wait I can't say that on here :sl:

snakemarks
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by snakemarks » Jan 27 2009 12:19 am

wallyfarak wrote:
:sl:
I'm at home in the wilderness... it's civilization I have problems with! ](*,)

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 27 2009 5:12 am

If you are using the poles correctly you would use them like ski poles. If you haven't skied, have someone show you. You barely have to grip the grips if you are using the straps correctly. This saves an amazing amount of fatigue on your hands.

Place your hand through the strap underneath, so that the strap ends up on top of your wrist when you are gripping the pole. Grip the pole with the two ends of the strap resting in the soft flesh between your thumb and index finger. You sort of hang your wrist in there, but make sure the strap goes around on TOP of your wrist!! The strap has to be a certain length to do this correctly. Then with your wrist hanging in there you can get a lot of leverage out of the poles and swing them forward very easily by just barely gripping the pole with your thumb and index finger. You put the weight into the strap at the wrist and on that soft fleshy area between thumb and index finger.

This is very hard to describe, but if you know a skier he/she can probably show you this.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Jan 27 2009 8:26 am

For Tucsonans: Go to Summit Hut and ask them how to use the poles. They have a little pre-printed instruction card and they'll walk you through how to make the most of having them...pun intended. They're also doing a "try before you buy" thing with poles, now. You leave a deposit and can test a pair out. If they suck you can pull a Discount Tire on them through the front window of the Speedway store with no repercussions (Not really, but they let you bring them back and return your $$).
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Jan 27 2009 8:28 am

wallyfarak wrote:You mean duct tape right?
Most traumatic injuries can be effectively managed with sufficient duct tape and an IV set... :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jan 27 2009 8:43 am

since no one seems to have mentioned it, or im too lazy to read well enough, i thought it would be proper to note a "how to fit poles" segment.
1)stand upright and form a 90° with your elbow
2)adjust your pole to fit in your hand when your elbow is at 90°
3)start walking
you can adjust them for uphill/downhill if required.
:D

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”