Looking for info on 8"/10" boots for hiking

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Abuelo
City, State: AZ - East Valley / TN - Mtns. / NC - Coast

Looking for info on 8"/10" boots for hiking

Post by Abuelo » Jan 26 2009 11:21 am

Recently broke a ankle in accident while hiking. Have had couple of people suggest I might want to consider a higher boot (8"/10") for future hiking.
So does anyone have experience/thoughts about use of 8"/10" boots for general hiking ..... mostly day hiking? Or suggestions for boots I might consider? Or .... other thoughts about hiking with a ankle which has been broken. BTW - I'm 69 years of age.

Thanks.

Abuelo
Abuelo

Be kind. Every person you meet is fighting a great battle.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
IMO -If you're not getting out and hiking in the rain you're missing the desert at it's best.

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Looking for info on 8"/10" boots for hiking

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jan 26 2009 12:27 pm

Hunters use 8" boots and hike all day. Keep in mind that they will probably be at least 8oz heavier per boot than a midheight hiking boot. Look on the bright side - You will get more exercise per step and they will definitely protect your ankles. 10" boots are jumpboot territory. I don't know where the break was, but there are 6" hunting boots that might do the trick. I'm not sure what hunting stores you have in the East Valley. In the west Valley I would recommend Sportsman's Wearhouse. Danner and Matterhorn make great boots. You can check out their websites.

I have weak ankles - lots of really bad ankle sprains as a kid and much time on crutches. I do ok in mid-height hiking boots using hiking poles. I roll an ankle now and them but don't get anything too really bad.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Jan 26 2009 1:22 pm

Al_HikesAZ wrote:I'm not sure what hunting stores you have in the East Valley. Danner and Matterhorn make great boots.
Abuelo, suggest you might check-out the new Bass Pro website and/or store in the East Valley at 202 & Dobson Rd. in Mesa. I bet they have some good selections you can touch and feel before you decide.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

ssk44
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ssk44 » Jan 26 2009 8:24 pm

My recomendation for 8" boots would be Danner. Danner makes a great boot. Go to Danner's Website to view their boots. Danner builds there USA boots on about three different lasts. If your foot is narrow to moderate in width, any of there boots that utilize there 650 last are superb. The 650 last has a slimmer fit and comes in widths ranging from "B" to "EE". I love their boots built on there 650 last. If your foot is moderate to wide, they offer a 610 last that is wider in the toe box and heal. Many of their work boot styles utilize this last. I don't fit the 610 very well because I have a slim foot. I am currently using one of there 610 last work boots called a plain toe Super Rainforest 8" Non Insulated with GTX. I have to where thick socks to get it to fit ok, however the Super Rainforest work boot uses there thickest 3.00 mm leather. If you are looking for stiff ankle support this boot is the best they make because of the thick leather. The boot is brutal to break in but once they are broke in they will probably out last you. My pair just won't die. If you happen to fit well with the 610 last, this will definitely be the boot for you. The plain toe Super Rainforest comes in either 8" or 10". These boots are not cheep but as I said above, they will outlast you. Don't consider any of their boots with half condura and half leather because these boots provide the least ankle support. You will probably want to stick with their work boot line or their military/duty line.

I prefer ordering direct from Danner. Call them rather than order through their Website so they can advise you on availability. Danner offers free shipping on your initial purchase and for your return. They send a pre paid return label with any boot order.
ISAIAH 6:2-3 / MATTHEW 11:28-30

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 26 2009 9:13 pm

ssk44 wrote:Danner builds there USA boots on about three different lasts.
It's all about the fit. If one of those fits, you're in luck. Otherwise, keep looking. (I currently wear Danners, though not 8". My tallest boots are Dunham Waffle Stompers, but I normally go with something lighter).

dysfunction
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by dysfunction » Jan 26 2009 10:04 pm

Also, not all Danners are USA made.
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 27 2009 5:28 am

I used to wear the tall Redwing boots years ago, but found that thick-collared boots that rise to just above my ankle bones actually provide a lot more ankle support.

Also, as any trained outdoor shoe salesman will tell you, the configuration of the sole of the shoe is as important, or maybe even more important, in preventing you from turning your ankle.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Abuelo
City, State: AZ - East Valley / TN - Mtns. / NC - Coast

Post by Abuelo » Jan 28 2009 3:11 am

Thanks to everyone for the comments and ideas. As soon as ankle/foot is back to normal will be checking out boots suggested. Intend to start using dual hiking sticks also.
Abuelo

Be kind. Every person you meet is fighting a great battle.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
IMO -If you're not getting out and hiking in the rain you're missing the desert at it's best.

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”