hiking shoe/boot/sandal recommendations thread

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

hiking shoe/boot/sandal recommendations thread

Post by azdesertfather » Apr 04 2009 9:54 am

Thought I'd start a thread that we can post to over time and give people recommendations on good hiking shoes/boots/sandals (whatever). I had a couple of pair that lasted me for a really long time, I guess I got spoiled. But I've had some bad luck with hiking boots my last three tries, maybe you've had similar experiences.

Finally in frustration I started digging around online for recommendations, and found a site called consumersearch that combines reviews from Backpacker Magazine, Cabelas, Buzzillions, GearReview, Zappos, REI, and others. Here's what the recommended:

• Lightweight hiking shoes: Hi-Tec V-Lite Radar II Event Low
• Mid-cut hiking shoes for more ankle support: Keen Targhee II Mid
• Lightweight hiking boots: Timberland Cadion Waterproof Mid Gore-Tex XCR
• Heavy-duty leather backpacking boots: Kayland Vertigo High
• Women's hiking boots: Lowa Banff Lady

Have been looking online for some Keen Targhee IIs, and OUCH! LITTLE pricey...

Thinking at this point to go Teva, which still aren't on the cheaper side, but I understand will be a good investment?
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: hiking shoe/boot/sandal recommendations thread

Post by CannondaleKid » Jul 30 2014 9:15 am

@hikerdw By time you have a good idea how they are working out I'll be in the market for new boots so I'll be interested to hear how they work out for you.
CannondaleKid

NatureKopelli
City, State: Arizona

Post by NatureKopelli » Jul 30 2014 9:48 am

I have been happy with all Merrell boots. I can especially recommend All-out-blaze-mid-waterproof. This link might work?

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product ... mensions=0

All Merrell boots have been very comfortable for me, but I have had one hiking shoe from them that was not comfortable. I kind of think the waterproof boot thing is kind of a joke, though. When I would buy waterproof boots for use back home in the snow, it was impossible to hike in snow without getting snow up over the boot and soak the socks. Wet feet! Same with hiking in wet grass or near water, where water splashes on the socks and gets inside the boot! I remember as a kid taking bread bags and rubber banding them over the socks before putting the snow boots on. Maybe I need to go back to that rather than buy waterproof boots! It sure worked better... :)
"To me, a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug." ~Helen Keller
"You have to touch a tree and feel it..." ~Dr Alex Shigo...Touch Trees! Hug Trees!
Lizards make me smile :)

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 30 2014 7:51 pm

@CannondaleKid
When Vasque used to actually make boots that fit me I would send them to Seattle to a specialty place called Dave Page, Cobbler. They specialize in resoling and repairing high-quality mountaineering boots, but will fix other shoes, Tevas, Birkies, etc. as well. The way it works is: you download and print a paper on which you fill out info and mail the boots and the paper to them. It usually doesn't take too long. Not cheap, but fantastic work. http://www.davepagecobbler.com/
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Footwear & Trekking Poles”