Thought I'd start a thread that we can post to over time and give people recommendations on good hiking shoes/boots/sandals (whatever). I had a couple of pair that lasted me for a really long time, I guess I got spoiled. But I've had some bad luck with hiking boots my last three tries, maybe you've had similar experiences.
Finally in frustration I started digging around online for recommendations, and found a site called consumersearch that combines reviews from Backpacker Magazine, Cabelas, Buzzillions, GearReview, Zappos, REI, and others. Here's what the recommended:
• Lightweight hiking shoes: Hi-Tec V-Lite Radar II Event Low
• Mid-cut hiking shoes for more ankle support: Keen Targhee II Mid
• Lightweight hiking boots: Timberland Cadion Waterproof Mid Gore-Tex XCR
• Heavy-duty leather backpacking boots: Kayland Vertigo High
• Women's hiking boots: Lowa Banff Lady
Have been looking online for some Keen Targhee IIs, and OUCH! LITTLE pricey...
Thinking at this point to go Teva, which still aren't on the cheaper side, but I understand will be a good investment?
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau